Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Time and again there's a great deal on a game on Amazon, and then oh look... Fun Again Games... Ships from the US, only £35 P&P! ARGH!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever ordered one thing through them and that was free worldwide shipping.
Absolute bargain, but I'm guessing that's not typical from your thread title?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B
United Kingdom
southampton
hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Dare To Roll - www.whodaresrolls.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain, as have done exactly the same thing myself more than once. Does anyone actually order from them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh absolutely not typical, and I literally just fell into the trap again.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-of-Air-and-Steam/dp/1938146956... £34? Oh, cool.... oh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/blog/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are great if the thing you want is small because they have a special postage band for smaller items. But they're a pain in the backside when it comes to larger items, always there with a great offer but hidden postage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
More Wine
United Kingdom
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, that rising feeling of excitement followed by the inevitable plummeting disappointment. I know it well.

Every blue moon the gods smile and they offer free shipping. I don't know if it is a mistake or not but I did get some copies of Timeline at very reasonable prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Randell
United Kingdom
Newport
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, when Fleet was no-where to be found here in the UK I managed to buy a copy through them with next to no shipping charges. It was a real bargain for something I couldn't get elsewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Celerier
Belgium
Koksijde
flag msg tools
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used them three times now, both from the amazon.co.uk and the amazon.de site.

Once because, despite my best efforts, I couldn't find the game anywhere else in Europe.
Once because they were the only ones offering the English language edition of a language dependent game.
Once because, even after P&P, they actually were the cheapest option available for a small card game expansion.

You have to bear in mind that for us continental types, amazon.co.uk will charge us shipping regardless, so sometimes the low price of the actual game on Fun Again Games is enough to offset the higher shipping charges.

I for one am glad they're a seller on Amazon's European branches, as it gives me an extra option. I personally think the problem is on Amazon's end because they don't factor in shipping when displaying prices. But I guess that would heavily impact the site's performance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
Time and again there's a great deal on a game on Amazon, and then oh look... Fun Again Games... Ships from the US, only £35 P&P! ARGH!

The thread titles implies that Funagain is to blame for this - which is surely unfair.

Shipping costs are obviously down to the carrier. I don't know if Funagain does a small mark up on that or not - I'm guessing not - but even if there is I assume it's minimal.

The culprit here is Amazon. Yes I'm often looking at a game page here on the Geek - and right there it says - price on Amazon £34 or whatever, when the game costs £58 or whatever here. Then I see the shipping charge...

Amazon is famed for the sophistication of it's web site and it's computerised infrastructure. And yet it's unable to add 2 numbers together to give us a delivered price??!

Well done to Funagain, whom I have used on occasion, for making their offering available here, often when a game would otherwise be unobtainable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TJRandell wrote:
Yeah, when Fleet was no-where to be found here in the UK I managed to buy a copy through them with next to no shipping charges. It was a real bargain for something I couldn't get elsewhere...

That was the one I had in mind.
Clearly not in all cases, but it shows there are good bargains to be had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Seghillian wrote:
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

The thread titles implies that Funagain is to blame for this - which is surely unfair.

Shipping costs are obviously down to the carrier. I don't know if Funagain does a small mark up on that or not - I'm guessing not - but even if there is I assume it's minimal.

The culprit here is Amazon. Yes I'm often looking at a game page here on the Geek - and right there it says - price on Amazon £34 or whatever, when the game costs £58 or whatever here. Then I see the shipping charge...

Amazon is famed for the sophistication of it's web site and it's computerised infrastructure. And yet it's unable to add 2 numbers together to give us a delivered price??!

Well done to Funagain, whom I have used on occasion, for making their offering available here, often when a game would otherwise be unobtainable.

Pretty much word for word what I was about to type. Funagain are offering a service which many find useful, it's the ads that Amazon generate (or that are generated by third party software relying on Amazon's data) which are misleading.

I'm fine with them not including shipping on general UK items, since that would make them appear uncompetitive (as lots of other oline retailers don't include shipping in their advertised price, not to mention they often have free super saver shipping available), but if it's a business based overseas they must know shipping will be a huge factor. I can't imagine having people land on those pages and go away disappointed time and again benefits either Amazon or Funagain, so advertising a delivered price makes much more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delinear wrote:

I'm fine with them not including shipping on general UK items, since that would make them appear uncompetitive (as lots of other oline retailers don't include shipping in their advertised price, not to mention they often have free super saver shipping available)

Well I only ever compare shipped prices, which is SuperSaver on Amazon and thus free, and cheapest method elsewhere (including bulk costs; ie: BoardgameGuru caps at max £7.25 courier regardless of amount).

Total cost to the consumer is the only worthwhile comparison, so the more they can add that up for us, the more time I save, and the more likely I am to use their site.

Not that Amazon is in much danger of losing my business since they are fairly cheap, and because Camel alerts and Flubit make it useful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The consensus of my opinion is that it's a bl**dy irritant when what appear to be 'good deals' are foreign sales (deliberately) masquerading or being presented as as domestic ones.

Amazon could easily do something about it, but choose not to. Oh well, I shall have to continue to be irritated, I daresay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bryant
United Kingdom
Telford
Shropshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Should I add they don't include any VAT either, allowing them to be even cheaper and allowing the customer a little russian roulette game as an addition. Amazon enjoy the balancing act of trying to ensure every vendor gets some sales with showing accurate information and are exceptionally keen that shipping is included in the price. As has been commented, it's Amazon rather than Funagain who generate the real issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Webster
Australia
Brisbane (north)
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many amazon sellers are able to offer much more reasonable postage costs, so I can't help but think that the prices charged are somewhat controllable by the vendors. Perhaps they are not prepared to deal with the extra hassle of sending overseas, so they charge a premium to use more reliable carriers/tracking? Surely amazon could make the freight costs more visible during purchase to avoid the trial and error of adding and removing various vendors' items to your cart to work out who has acceptable rates.

I've contacted several US based non-amazon stores when I've had clearly incorrect freight calculations, and none cared to recognise that there was even a problem. I recall one wanting to charge around us$100 for freight alone on a small expansion. Might have been funagain direct I think. They weren't even interested in looking into it. I wonder how much business these places are missing out on?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mind you, now I think about it, it's no more irritating than clicking on 9 out of 10 auctions that can't be bothered to show or give a clue to their location only to find they too are in the US and won't even ship outside their own 'hood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess there must be a degree to which it's within Fun Again's control, they have chosen to sell to the UK I guess?

But the prevelance of Fun Again stuff on Amazon has stopped me browsing Amazon for games. I rarely bought from them anyway, but now I don't even look, so many false alarms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.