Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

How the game works:

Category five is a game that uses simultaneous action. This means that everyone plays at the same time: there are no turns. This means no time spent waiting for other players! At the start of a round, 4 cards are laid out to start 4 rows. 10 cards are dealt to each player. The cards are numbered 1 to 104, and each card has “warning flags” on it. Every time you are forced to take a row of cards, you add up the warning flags on the cards you take. The first person to 74 points ends the game and comes in last place. Whoever has the least points wins.
So how do you avoid points? Each row can hold only 5 cards. When each person simultaneously turns over their cards, the cards are placed in rows, starting with the lowest card. Your card has to be higher than the highest card in the row you place it in. It also has to be placed in the row whose highest card is closest to your card. Therefore, there is only one legal row your car can ever go in, except for one exception. The exception is when your card is lower than the last card in every row. In this case, you actually choose which row you take. Basically, you are trying to play cards that won’t have to go into a row that already has five cards. In this case, you have to take the whole row, and your card becomes the first card in this new row. That is basically all, but the game itself is so much more fun and tense than it may sound.

The components:

I have the English Category Five version by Pando games (the game was originally called 6 Nimmit). There are clear, concise rules which are very easy to follow. This game is easily taught and easily learned. There are 104 cards, each with some facts about actual hurricanes (just for fun). The cards are well made, and my copy is holding up very well. The game is a great deal for the cheap price.

Why I like it:

I enjoy this game because it is very simple to play, but the decisions are tense. I love the simultaneous action: it makes every turn equally fun and important to everyone. Although I wouldn’t play this game for hours at a time, it gives players more to think about than is immediately evident. Do you play a safe card that will ensure that you will take no rows this time? Do you play low so you get to play first, perhaps taking a row on purpose (to avoid taking a worse row later)? The game almost has a bit of a bluffing element as players guess how high or low others might play. It is quite amusing to see a grin on your opponents face when they think they are going to place the fifth card on a row and force you to take the high-scoring row; when you have an 82 and they have an 83 (for example), you get away scott free while they rake in the whole row! Of course, this also works the other way, adding to the tension as everyone flips over their cards.
It should be noted that I normally play this game with 3 people, and sometimes four. The general opinion seems to be that this game is much better with more people. Maybe that’s true, but this game is just perfect for my small group when we don’t have much time or don’t feel like starting a heavier game. It seems that we constantly turn to Category five for a quick and simple fun time. I would recommend this neat little game for anyone’s collection. You’d be surprised how much fun such a small investment can give you!

8/10 for this great light filler game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Sleigh
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
My friend had this Category Five game but I can not find where to purchse it. Do you have any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't realize this game has gone out of print. According to funagain the new version will be available this month and called Slide 5. Once it's reprinted all of the online retailers should have it (timewellspent.org, thoughthammer.com, etc...)

[url][/url]http://www.funagain.com/control/product/~product_id=017575

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.