Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
50 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: When do you guys think the next expansion is coming out? WIll it be a big box or smal box? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom N
msg tools
mbmb
???? I can't wait for more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot depends on the success of Forsaken Lore.

I bought my copy of FL on Day 1 of arrival at my FLGS. I think it is very important to show continued support to a game you hope will offer you continued adventure by way of additional expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Zeromage wrote:
???? I can't wait for more!

After the 'top up' expansion we have seen i imagine the next will be a big box expansion with new investigators, a new (extra) board and some serious rules shake up...

When? hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A new expansion by the end of the year would not be surprising.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GenCon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
NO EXTRA BOARD!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
NO EXTRA BOARD!!!!!

THIS!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Geraghty
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladimir17 wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
NO EXTRA BOARD!!!!!

THIS!!!!

Why would there be an extra board?!? The map encompasses THE ENTIRE WORLD. With gate travel what it is, an extra board just seems spiteful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They could easily do a complete GOO as a POD expansion, since GOO stuff doesn't get mixed with other stuff so the card textures don't have to match!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
They could easily do a complete GOO as a POD expansion, since GOO stuff doesn't get mixed with other stuff so the card textures don't have to match!

Although the non-matching POD cards would make the POD GOOs difficult to expand upon, as Forsaken Lore did for the base game GOOs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sure hope they include another board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

Although the non-matching POD cards would make the POD GOOs difficult to expand upon, as Forsaken Lore did for the base game GOOs.

I think there is a good chance that 24 research cards and 6 mysteries will be the standard for GOOs. If they increase these along with the number of GOOs, the stuff will be growing exponentially.

And think, with the amount of effort it would take to add just 1 more mystery and just 5 more research cards per existing GOO (5 mysteries and 25 research), they could come up with a completely new GOO instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could see an extra board, but maybe something to overlay part of the board as-is. Maybe to add more detail to a particular part of the world, I don't know. Egyptian adventures anyone? Antarctica? Severn Valley goo?

Or it could be a tiny Dreamlands-esque thing. In any case, I would not rule out a board possibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mundane wrote:
A new expansion by the end of the year would not be surprising.

Why do you say that? Is that how AH releases proceeded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkpope wrote:
Vladimir17 wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
NO EXTRA BOARD!!!!!

THIS!!!!

Why would there be an extra board?!? The map encompasses THE ENTIRE WORLD. With gate travel what it is, an extra board just seems spiteful.

Agreed. Could imagine a few things, like some kind of Mountains of Madness adventure, or something like that where move around on a small board, some epic thing while everyone else is keeping gates form advancing doom. Seems like it would be overkill and probably mess up the flow of the game.

The designer of the game, who also did MoM seemed to fix tons of stuff with Call of the Wild expansion, so thinking we're in good hands for the next big expansion. Since E.H. is so good out of the box, probably only get better.

Still imagine this: like in Decent, The Road to Legend (2008), the extra board of Terrinoth was added for a tactical game between games for epic quests. How to do something like that in E.H.? - no idea - but some kind of epic quest advancement where you try to keep investigators, if any, could be interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kungfro wrote:
I could see an extra board, but maybe something to overlay part of the board as-is. Maybe to add more detail to a particular part of the world, I don't know. Egyptian adventures anyone? Antarctica? Severn Valley goo?

Or it could be a tiny Dreamlands-esque thing. In any case, I would not rule out a board possibility.

Yeah, this would be possible, kinda cool actually, if it works well with everything else and still worked with 1 or 2 investigators, which E.H. actually *does* - although is very hard, it still works.

Mainly a bunch of investigtors w/ different abilities to puzzle over, and a bunch of OOs would be still pretty excellent. E.H. with Abhoth = brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pol Michiels
Belgium
Ottenburg
Vlaams brabant
flag msg tools
badge
Of all people who have nothing to say, those who say nothing are the wisest.
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way I could see extra boards would be if they completely rewrote gates and otherworld encounters. Maybe a King in Yellow expansion that has you travelling through Carcossa to solve the mystery? I kind of hope they don't do that, though, since for me a big selling point of EH is that I can play it with pretty much anyone who can read English. Adding extra boards, more bits, extra stuff to keep track of, etc could very well endanger the elegant simplicity of the game, and that's one of the reasons I vastly prefer EH over AH.

The problem with more locations is that you would need whole new decks for them, and those would need to be fleshed out, and possibly th next expansion would then have to take into account that some people play with both, meaning more cards that might not be used by everyone, etc, etc.

I like the idea of some kind of campaign play, if properly fleshed out. Not just starting a new game with the same characters, but maybe including permanent madnesses, old war wounds, evolving character abilities, ... It might not be used often since we tend to play with new players often, but I'm just a sucker for character growth.

One thing I would like to maybe see fleshed out a little bit more is the Otherworld encounters and Gates. It just seems so random where you go, and failing to close a gate may mean the gate goes somewhere else entirely next time. But I have a hard time coming up with an elegant solution, that doesn't mean extra boards, loads of new decks, and precisely all the added complexity that I advocated against at the start of this post. So I happily take it as it is, and I'll see what the designers come up with in the future.

And that is good about EH. We have a great base game, and already one great expansion. I have faith the designers will come up with a lot more great stuff to add to the game. And even if sometime in the future they start coming out with stuff that isn't so great, we'll still have the good stuff we have now. Thanks, FFG, for finally making a Myhtos game that I enjoy, and here's to many years of enjoyable expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Hedfors
Sweden
Sollentuna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe they could reuse the puzzles from Mansion of Madness and incorporate that in to the games. So instead of rolling the dice during a test, you have to solve a puzzle using your lore for the maximum moves. My wife loves the puzzles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Freeman
United States
Mooresville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDarkKnight wrote:
GenCon?

Thumbs for the avatar... Curly rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Awake Land
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Boscrossos wrote:
...completely rewrote gates and otherworld encounters. ...I kind of hope they don't do that, though, since for me a big selling point of EH is that I can play it with pretty much anyone who can read English. Adding extra boards, more bits, extra stuff to keep track of, etc could very well endanger the elegant simplicity of the game, and that's one of the reasons I vastly prefer EH over AH.

I like the idea of some kind of campaign play, if properly fleshed out. Not just starting a new game with the same characters, but maybe including permanent madnesses, old war wounds, evolving character abilities, ... It might not be used often since we tend to play with new players often, but I'm just a sucker for character growth.

And that is good about EH. We have a great base game, and already one great expansion. I have faith the designers will come up with a lot more great stuff to add to the game. And even if sometime in the future they start coming out with stuff that isn't so great, we'll still have the good stuff we have now. Thanks, FFG, for finally making a Myhtos game that I enjoy, and here's to many years of enjoyable expansions!

This is well said! Yeah, given there is such an excellent base game here, which is almost flawless for a game w/ this much theme, hoping they play it safe, but perhaps not *too* safe.

The campaign play idea would be really cool if they could pull it off.

So what if (ideas coming up, refine or refute as needed) :

1) Campaign Play Idea #1: Eldritch extra board expansion. Since having an extra local (pyramid, Antartica boards) would not have the same time frame as the world map board, due to weeks of travel on the main board, and say in Egypt much less time per move, there would be a problem of the person on the small board (pyramid) needing like 3 moves per everyone else on the original world map board - just thinking about realistic/thematic time scale.

So instead of doing that how about rules to (for an expansion w/ a new board)

Make the new boards the new game, for *that* scenario *completely* replacing the world map. So this would permit game-adventures like:

i) Egypt
ii) London
iii) Arkham
vi) Antarctica

Problems, entirely new encounter decks. So this may not be realistic - or desired - at all.

The main board would then be used for some campaign meta-game at the start or end of every local encounter. This could still be the case, but the extra boards, decks, eh? Prob better to just have more investigators and OOs.

2) The second idea is not to have an extra board, instead just have a meta game that somehow plays before the normal game begins, and allows campaign via some cool campaign rules. There could still be some interaction with the main map before play actually starts. For instance:

Players who survive last game (if won) start at their current location and get 1-2 turns to move or acquire assets, heal before next encounter - and starting locations and assets would be different in this case. Perhaps there could be 1 campaign meta game deck that is used during the in-between times before the next OO is activated.

Wondering if there is some mechanical idea to pull from Descents meta game? It's not quite appropriate as E.H. is the world for the base game rather than the "dungeon" (local level) and Descent is the reverse of this.

Even so the new Lost in Time and Space works well and adds to the game rather than just "lose a turn."

(Also as a note: still working on Mysteries for A.H. w/ simple rule changes (easy to understand / learn) to speed the game up, add an Omen Track and re-rule it more like E.H. - so far it's working - 90% of game-play is still A.H. however. The Strange Eon files are getting close for Azathoth, and almost have a good formula for the A.H. Mysteries - thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1122990/arkham-eldritch-horr... )

OK, back to E.H. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Laine
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
miesdeldolor9 wrote:
MasterDinadan wrote:

I think there is a good chance that 24 research cards and 6 mysteries will be the standard for GOOs. If they increase these along with the number of GOOs, the stuff will be growing exponentially.

And think, with the amount of effort it would take to add just 1 more mystery and just 5 more research cards per existing GOO (5 mysteries and 25 research), they could come up with a completely new GOO instead.

I can still think of reasons they'd want to expand current GOOs beyond simple variety's sake. For example, Forsaken Lore introduced new conditions: Poisoned and Lost in Time and Space. I'm sure future expansions will also introduce new mechanics like that, and if they want them incorporated into the research encounters of prior GOOs then they'll need to add a couple of cards. I'd rather they keep their expansion options open by not going down the POD route.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I'll take anything but extra boards. Characters, mechanics, anything, but if I wanted tons of board expansions and other reasons to have another 6 person tablet next to one I already have, I can just plan Arkham Horror instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But what if the extra board is the Dreamlands?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
TheDarkKnight wrote:

It'd be neat, but still, it's so predictable to simply add "more board" or something.
How about several oversized cards like the ancient ones, with dreamland/otherworld scenario and challenges if you say... So you can perhaps solve clues and gain artefacts in different worlds without a need for a whole separate attachment. Mechanic to go there can be something simple and non-intrusive, for example... you choose to stay behind when you close the portal and then your can resolve adventures and perhaps have your own deck to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Mawson
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:
TheDarkKnight wrote:

It'd be neat, but still, it's so predictable to simply add "more board" or something.
How about several oversized cards like the ancient ones, with dreamland/otherworld scenario and challenges if you say... So you can perhaps solve clues and gain artefacts in different worlds without a need for a whole separate attachment. Mechanic to go there can be something simple and non-intrusive, for example... you choose to stay behind when you close the portal and then your can resolve adventures and perhaps have your own deck to deal with.

Instead of a Dreamlands board they could just introduce a Dreamlands deck, perhaps with a 'push your luck' element. This same method could be used for other locales such as Yuggoth, Carcosa, etc.

If they did do a new board though, a Dreamlands one is the only one that would make sense. Also, I would think it likely that you would use one board or another, not combine them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.