Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I have a 5y/o daughter who really wants to join in on board games. Issue is besides candy land I really dont know any. What would be your most recommended games for that age range that would be a good intro into board gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a thousand threads like this, most recently... http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15694127#15694127
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T. Yurcaba
United States
Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great age to join in games!

A game I enjoyed playing with my boys when they were younger was Quicksand. A simple roll and move but quite fun as your adventurer sinks and rises into or out of quick sand as the game plays out.

The version I am suggesting dates from 1989, (There appear to be other more complex games with the same name), features very fun segmented players "men" which appear to sink as they go deeper. Often appearing as nothing more than a hat.

It's fun, quick and easy to play. Though it may be out of print, you likely can find affordable copies on eBay I'm sure.

Quicksand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And don't forget that if she's seen you playing, with a little coaching (and perhaps some house rules) she could likely join you. Our daughter was joining in Dominion, Ticket to Ride, and others around that age (maybe plus a year or so, but not much). She couldn't play that well, needed a little help reading at times, and tended to dance around the table quite a bit when it wasn't her turn, but she could play.

Games she really enjoyed - things closer to age-appropriate. Monopoly Jr, Clue Jr, things that were tactile/memory oriented, Guess Who - all were games she'd choose when given the chance. I guess it depends on what your daughter likes to play and what she gravitates towards. Look for those trends and go from there. (And as noted, there are quite a few threads around this concept out there. The Dice Tower podcast even did a Top 10 on games to play w/ children with Tom & Eric trying to look at it from the kid's point of view.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sauer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Co-operative games can also work well for including younger kids.

My six-year-old will happily join in on games of Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Castle Panic, Justice League: Axis of Villains, or even Flash Point (though since the last Kickstarter he always wants to play as the dog).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexterity games often play to kids strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys started with games like Go Away Monster by Gamewright. Check out the games published by Haba also.

Dexterity games like Villa Paletti, Sorry! Sliders, and PitchCar are also fun games to play when children are involved.

Other than those I had mentioned, here are some titles to check out:
Labyrinth
Forbidden Island (co-op)
Kids of Carcassonne
Hive

But really, all kids are different. Some games will work, some won't. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's a game out now called Robot Turtles. It's designed to sneakily teach kids the basics in computer programming logic (which directly leads to boardgame logic). Give it a look
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Simmons
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would vouch for Robot Turtles. My 6 and 8 year old kids love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sasigns wrote:
Hello everyone! I have a 5y/o daughter who really wants to join in on board games. Issue is besides candy land I really dont know any. What would be your most recommended games for that age range that would be a good intro into board gaming.

My daughter is 32 now. I can remember not wanting to play Hungry Hungry Hippos with her. Now I wish I could again...

The time went by so fast and now she is 800 miles away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter is 5. She enjoys the following games which she can play with 30-40 year olds, with the following modifications:

Detroit-Cleveland Grand Prix(she gets the car of her choice for $50,000)
Shadows Over Camelot(we do not let her be traitor)
10 Days in Africa (no modification)
PitchCar (she gets "forward progress" if she crashes)
This Big! (a kid's game the adults enjoy playing)
Cloud 9 (also fun for adults and kids)
Fruit Spy (adult game that she can handle)
Blink (if it's only 3 players)
Catan: Junior (simpler, but still playable for adults)
duck! duck! Go! and duck! duck! SAFARI!
Dwarves and Dice (no mods)
Wooly Bully (she likes playing but isn't competitive)
Hula Hippos (don't knock it till you've tried it...it's fun)
Gumball Rally (she knows how to win and my friends don't )
Sorry! Sliders (she's a pro!)
Straw

Generally, we'd rather play heavier games. But if we play with Anna, these are plenty good enough for a good time.

Pete (probably has more suggestions, but that's a good start)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
There are a thousand threads like this, most recently... http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15694127#15694127
I don't know that these are the same, since THIS thread asks for a 5 year old who is joining a game night, which implies the additional requirement of making the adults who regularly play happy.

Pete (picks nits)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Steward
United States
Kent
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror. The sooner she learns about what awaits her in the night, the better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan D
United States
san antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirchadofkent wrote:
Arkham Horror. The sooner she learns about what awaits her in the night, the better.

lol this wins!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 y/o likes Forbidden Island.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played PitchCar and Bingo with our 5-year old yesterday. Other games she likes are:

Zooloretto
Maskenball der Käfer
Gulo Gulo
Hoppe Reiter
Viva Topo!

and lately we bought a children's version of Rummikub with numbers up to ten. Then there are also games like Memory and Picture Dominoes.

We are also playing some of our games with her now and sometimes adapt them a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne, my daughter was playing without farmers at 5 (though removing farmer rules was more for her 3 year old brother).

Helenoftroy wrote:
Hive

My 6 year old wants to learn that, but I assumed it'd be too difficult. I should try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C.
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of the games I played these with my son when he was 5:

Carcassonne (no farmers)
Labyrinth
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
Hey, That's My Fish!

He definitely needed some coaching for the first couple of play-throughs for all of these. He was also just learning to read at the time, so he needed extra help with a game like Legendary.

Even now, I tend to roll out rules incrementally. I never want him to feel so overwhelmed that he doesn't want to play the game at all. I also stop introducing rules if I feel like the added complexity would just frustrate him. For me, its not about playing the complete game... its more about enjoying the time I spend with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cox
Australia
Petersham
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Anything by HABA. Search for them in Geeklist titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Johns
United States
Huntersville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne (WITH farming)
Skyline (dice rolling, skyscraper building for points)
Tsuro
Amber (carcassonne light, but still a good game in it's own right)
Zombie Dice
Seven Dragons (domino like card laying game)
Incan Gold (with LOTS of "booty" references for laughs)
The Amazeing Labyrinth
Ticket To Ride
No Thanks
Ingenious
Pit
Goblins Drool Fairies Rule

I buy games for two reasons. 1: it'll get played at my weekly game night with the boys. 2: it'll get played with the family. I have some that work either way, and a few that work for both. These are the ones's off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are others in the group that I'm forgetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (who just turned six) adores Zombie Dice, Love Letter and Forbiden Island. She enjoys Carcassonne, too, but it can lose her attention after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
You can also find ways to include her in your game nights that don't involve playing on her own. For example, she could be in charge of rolling dice for everyone, or you could play as a team. Lots of games have some minor role which isn't really playing, but is necessary to make the game happen, like the banker in Monopoly (though that particular game wouldn't be my recommendation). You could let her do stuff like name the meeples and give them background stories.

There are lots of ways to include her which would keep the full complexity of some of the games I imagine the adults prefer from overwhelming her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nithos nithos

Iowa
msg tools
My daughter just turned 5, here are the games she frequently picks on family game night:

King of Tokyo (She destroyed everyone the other night with some lucky rolling)
Sleeping Queens
Love Letter
Wits & Wagers Family
Takenoko
DC Comics Deck-Building Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Newnham
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oooh... I like it when you touch my avatar.
mbmbmbmbmb
My 5 year old son loves King of Tokyo. My daughter is now 8, but at 4 she learned Settlers of Catan and still likes that game a lot. She also learned Magic: The Gathering at 4 (needing help to read some cards), and plays that often now (it's her current favorite game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 y/o loves :

Carcassonne
Takenoko
King of Tokyo (FAVORITE!)
Hey Thats My Fish
Catan Jr.
Rampage (minus the ridiculous scoring)
Sequences for kids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.