Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to ask the question how do you play this game,
in how do way/ not a how to way e.g what rules do you play by change?

the campaign rules are vague, use treasure tokens, use chamber cards not much else.

so how do you campaign play?

How do you deal with a bad quest losing a quest? Do you allow retreats? Do you do consequences?
What else have you home brew?

As I realized I have loads of house rules and customization: (about 8 customization I notice )

Im braking a lot of rules!

1st rule broke custom tiles
(Perfected the tile set make Drizzits lay out with ashardalon doors and some raven loft named tiles)
** This involves creating some ashardalon card with volcanic vents basically I drew some vent veins on some tiles and coloured the arrow tile bronze to mark it as a vent,
the tile deck size and orientation of tiles number of corners black vs white triangle etc matches Drizzit apart from extra doors. Which replace a few walls

2nd rule broken Custom encounter deck
As I mostly like the Drizzit encounter deck, the vent attacks and the marks of loth but I like the monster summon type cards too so that’s a custom mix ) (a full on mix is to random I find)

3rd rule broken monster tokens/cards
Custom monster tokens I create a card deck to represent the monster tokens,
My deck has skill challenges on Zero monster tiles, and sometimes monster bonus such as
Brute +1 hp, Scared +1 AC, Minion =takes hits for monsters on same tile, among others,
Brute +1 Hp
Scared +1 Ac
Pinning you must stop movement if you move adjacent to this monster
Minion take hits like bodyguard for creatures on tile
Handler comes with an animal
Skulk can only he targeted if on same tile
Disengage @ the end of a turn if adjacent to a hero try’s to move to a sqr. on the same tile not adjacent to a hero

4th rule broken skill,
I’ve create a card with simple D&D style skills for each character arch type so I can interact with the zero monster tile skill challenges,
Things like nature, stealth, history, bluff, etc.. about 12 skills.

5th Treasure 2 decks 1 with items and 1 with fortunes
When you kill x creatures you draw 1 fortune and 1 treasure token,
(I was getting to beat up just getting gold )

6 th Some house rules on doors, (still in testing)
I’ve coloured some doors with a highlighter gives them a different hue these are quest doors and must be opened for clues!
I also incentivise opening any door by putting a chest behind it,

New idea 7th Fate points
(1.2 your surge value use shield tokens)
Those awkward moments when you not sure if you should play to the hero or the monster, generally play to monster side, unless any hero spends a fate point , you can then play the monster in a way its advantageous to the hero’s

8th change Custom monster deck

just tweaks to ashardalons monster mix, I’m not keen on the aberrants, I think the sentries have to go too.. but ive generally keep the exp and monster attack types similar and mixed in the Dungeon command monsters I liked… its mostly orc based, and currently a little rough with 5 archers! An Ogre, dragon elementals even a zombie or too etc.. Spiders and wolves, currently sentries have been a real bane generally extending the game but not making it much more fun! And think DC and monster tokens and sentries is to much.. so still tweaking but tweaking monster variety is fun,

big post did it make sense?

I don't really level up, or stay leveled up if i get the treasure card , or really the d20 roll

to be honest i've never complete a campaign a string of 3 quest would be enough for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
I wanted to ask the question how do you play this game, in how to way but what rules do you play by change?

And how do you campaign play?

How do you deal with a bad quest losing a quest? Do you allow retreats? Do you do consequences?

What else have you home brew?

As I realized I have loads of house rules and customizations: (about 7 customization I notice )
Breaking a lot of rules
1st rule broke custom tiles
(Perfected the tile set make Drizzits lay out with ashardalon doors and some raven loft named tiles)
** This involves creating some ashardalon card with volcanic vents basically I drew some vent veins on some tiles and coloured the arrow tile bronze to mark it as a vent,
the tile deck size and orientation of tiles number of corners black vs white triangle etc matches Drizzit apart from extra doors. Which replace a few walls

2nd rule broken Custom encounter deck
As I mostly like the Drizzit encounter deck, the vent attacks and the marks of loth but I like the monster summon type cards too so that’s a custom mix ) (a full on mix is to random I find)

3rd rule broken monster tokens
Custom monster tokens I create a card deck to represent the monster tokens,
My deck has skill challenges on Zero monster tiles, and sometimes monster bonus such as
Brute +1 hp, Scared +1 AC, Minion =takes hits for monsters on same tile, among others,
Brute +1 Hp
Scared +1 Ac
Pinning you must stop movement if you move adjacent to this monster
Minion take hits like bodyguard for creatures on tile
Handler comes with an animal
Skulk can only he targeted if on same tile
Disengage @ the end of a turn if adjacent to a hero try’s to move to a sqr. on the same tile not adjacent to a hero

4th rule broken skill,
I’ve create a card with simple D&D style skills for each character arch type so I can interact with the zero monster tile skill challenges,
Things like nature, stealth, history, bluff, etc.. about 12 skills.
5th Treasure 2 decks 1 with items and 1 with fortunes
When you kill x creatures you draw 1 fortune and 1 treasure token,
(I was getting to beat up just getting gold )
6 th Some house rules on doors, (still in testing)
I’ve coloured some doors with a highlighter gives them a different hue these are quest doors and must be opened for clues!
I also incentivise opening any door by putting a chest behind it,

New idea 7th Fate points (1.2 your surge value use shield tokens)
Those awkward moments when you not sure if you should play to the hero or the monster, generally play to monster side, unless any hero spends a fate point , you can then play the monster in a way its advantageous to the hero’s

8th change Custom monster deck, just tweaks to ashardalons monster mix, I’m not keen on the aberrants, I think the sentries have to go too.. but ive generally keep the exp and monster attack types similar and mixed in the Dungeon command monsters I liked… its mostly orc based, and currently a little rough with 5 archers! An Ogre, dragon elementals even a zombie or too etc.. Spiders and wolves, currently sentries have been a real bane generally extending the game but not making it much more fun! And think DC and monster tokens and sentries is to much.. so still tweaking but tweaking monster variety is fun,

big post did it make sense?

I'd love to see those skills you created and how is the rule to apply them to characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
glad you asked probably the bit im most proud of

gonna rework the skill check monster tokens a little there a little bit of mix of ideas think i've settled on one i like now.. add link to this post in a second.

old version:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1062798/ddas-skills-for-...

new version is mostly slight number adjustments,

i'll try and work on it at the weekend get the new ones ups. but works along those lines

so you've a skill card the generic archetypes i also created some multi-class types whos skills are little more varied, there are ways to make it more complex but i'm trying to keep it simple at the moment in line with the base game.

when i start i game i can shuffle these skill card and deal them out just like selecting a character card,

there are 11 x 0 monster tiles rather then nothing the tiles give you a skill test generally roll 14 to 18 that can give a bonus a nothing or a negative

sometimes tracking type skill, so you can fiddle up and coming monsters or treasures, or bonus AC on tile or a fail a wandering monster

generic at the moment but planned "quest" specific ones,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Murtaugh
United States
Rancho Murieta
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looks good, will watch for your up date.
Thanks for sharing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.