Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Johnson
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
The subject says it all, really. My usual gaming group is four players. Five if I'm lucky, but usually just four. I'm a sucker for hidden traitor games. This sounds like it would be good, but I've seen a few comments from people who believe it only really comes to life with seven plus people. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Shadow Hunters, but the number of players entry should really be 6-8. I do not at all recommend it with 4-5, unless you've got some kind of variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. We have tried with 4 and 5, and it just does not work. If you have 4 or 5, pick some other game.

Check out One Night Ultimate Werewolf. It gets a bit boring with 3, but works well with 4 as long as you mix up the roles enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
In a pinch, I think it's OK with 5. But you shouldn't play with four...the neutrals make the game, and they aren't present in a four-player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nickerson
United States
Phoenix
ARIZONA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting to hear people leaning in general so strongly on the 6+ side. I agree that there are advantages to playing with 6+, but there is also the disadvantage of longer playing time. One of my most memorable board gaming experiences ever was a quick couple of games of 5 player Shadow Hunters at the end of an evening that morphed into a crazy all-nighter of nothing but back to back 5 player Shadow Hunters.

In my opinion, as long as you've got at least the one neutral, you're good to go for fun. For me and my friends at least, saying that with 5 players "it just does not work" isn't really true. Of course the original question asked about 4 players, and I'd have to agree that it is a significantly-diminished (though potentially still fun) experience with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
In a pinch, I think it's OK with 5. But you shouldn't play with four...the neutrals make the game, and they aren't present in a four-player game.

I agree. It works just fine with 5, especially if you're a fan of these kinds of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four works surprisingly well, and especially great as a first game or filler.

Play time is a lot shorter, and it is not like it is with mroe players.

Once a few stones are dropped identities are worked out easily - and the it is a matter of chasing people to the right parts of the board (luck) and getting the right cards (luck).

It is not the same game as it is with more players.

For five I would suggest 3/2 hunters vs 3/2 shadows ariant. Do not chuck a neutral in there unless you think one person should feel like crap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
zayzayem wrote:
For five I would suggest 3/2 hunters vs 3/2 shadows ariant. Do not chuck a neutral in there unless you think one person should feel like crap.

Nah, that doesn't make much sense imo. Most of the neutrals are perfectly fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
I've only played three games all with four people so far but my initial impression is that it works fine like that.

I can see how it is a lot simpler but it was still a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alyx v
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Shadow hunters is my favorite game. I have played it in a group of 4 which with the rules given of 2 shadows and 2 hunters the game goes by to fast and once you figure out one person you know everyone and thats no fun. So we shuffled 3 hunters 3 neutrals and 3 shadows and randomly distributed those. this makes it much more interesting and uses much more hermit cards.
My boyfriend and I are also trying to fire out a 2 player variant that right now which right now is untested but taking out all characters that win conditions are based on a number of characters of alive/dead characters at the end, and some number of times during the game both players draw a different character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
asutbone wrote:

I plan to get this game, as I love Hidden Mechanics games, and this one evaded my attention until recently.

My question is: is there a variant that lets you play with maybe 1 hunter, 1 monster and 2 neutrals? or Randomize it completely so that it's uncertain what roles the 4 players have?

I have a regular gaming group with 4 people so I want to know if this is playable with them.

I do have 2 other gaming groups that go up to 5 and more but I don't get together with those groups as often. My core number of players is 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erwin Anciano
Philippines
flag msg tools
netflixandblankets wrote:
Shadow hunters is my favorite game. I have played it in a group of 4 which with the rules given of 2 shadows and 2 hunters the game goes by to fast and once you figure out one person you know everyone and thats no fun. So we shuffled 3 hunters 3 neutrals and 3 shadows and randomly distributed those. this makes it much more interesting and uses much more hermit cards.
My boyfriend and I are also trying to fire out a 2 player variant that right now which right now is untested but taking out all characters that win conditions are based on a number of characters of alive/dead characters at the end, and some number of times during the game both players draw a different character.

Oh the 3x per group sounds good then. I do something similar with EFTAIOS when I only have 4 players (Random 3 alien 3 human cards and whatever happens, happens).

Good to know that it works out so that the game is enjoyable with just 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.