No Retreat! The North African Front» Forums » Rules

Subject: Timing of Events rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools
Sorry, I have another question:

The Segment of the Events (for example, in turn 4 Greece - Malta - Tobruk - Rommel) happen strictly after the Malta Interdiction and Adjust Cards/Supply Segments?

So, in turn 4 the Allies don't loss 1 SP to Malta Interdiction (Malta is not yet in play) and Card 22 - Strategic Pressure (for example) doesn't apply, since it's a Malta Event?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fabiopatris wrote:
Sorry, I have another question:

The Segment of the Events (for example, in turn 4 Greece - Malta - Tobruk - Rommel) happen strictly after the Malta Interdiction and Adjust Cards/Supply Segments?

So, in turn 4 the Allies don't loss 1 SP to Malta Interdiction (Malta is not yet in play) and Card 22 - Strategic Pressure (for example) doesn't apply, since it's a Malta Event?

This is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fabio patris
Italy
flag msg tools
Thanks!

The rule is clear, I have asked only because in most wargames the Events have effect at the very start of the turn.

I've played 3 solo campaigns till now (in a week!), all very exciting: almost every turn one side or the other looked doomed, but next turn cards, events or bad choices overturned all.

This evening I will assault Crete...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool, Fabio!

Let me know how you like Crete. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cierniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
But the effects of Rommel gaining the initiative do in fact influence the number of cards drawn during the "Cards/ Supply phase." Thus the "Rommel effects" do in fact take place BEFORE the above mentioned phase. I can see that the Allies shouldn't lose an SP but Rommel does have the initiative.
Carl... What say you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffswar wrote:
But the effects of Rommel gaining the initiative do in fact influence the number of cards drawn during the "Cards/ Supply phase." Thus the "Rommel effects" do in fact take place BEFORE the above mentioned phase. I can see that the Allies shouldn't lose an SP but Rommel does have the initiative.
Carl... What say you?

Err... I do not understand your question exactly. Sorry. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cierniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Carl what I'm trying to say is you once told me that Rommel starts turn 4 with the initiative thus the actual "Rommel" event would preceed and influence card draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffswar wrote:
Carl what I'm trying to say is you once told me that Rommel starts turn 4 with the initiative thus the actual "Rommel" event would preceed and influence card draw.

Oh yes you are right! My Bad. The early 1941 Scenario B.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cierniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Even if your playing the campaign game starting with Scenario 1, Rommel and the Afrika Korps gain the initiative. Even if they don't already have it. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffswar wrote:
Even if your playing the campaign game starting with Scenario 1, Rommel and the Afrika Korps gain the initiative. Even if they don't already have it. Correct?

Well, there is no such rule in the game.

But if you want to play it that way I have no problem with it, and in fact it might be much better. As the only thing the British will do if they have the Initiative is probably try running away from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cierniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
No such rule??? Page 22 4d: Rommel. On turn four when Rommel enters play the Axis player gains the initiative. This is what the rule book says. What I'm trying to get at is this, four black events take place on this turn. Greece campaign, Malta, Tobruk fortress activates, and Rommel. The effects of Rommel and the Axis player gaining the initiative will or will not influence the Adjust card/supply segment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffswar wrote:
No such rule??? Page 22 4d: Rommel. On turn four when Rommel enters play the Axis player gains the initiative. This is what the rule book says. What I'm trying to get at is this, four black events take place on this turn. Greece campaign, Malta, Tobruk fortress activates, and Rommel. The effects of Rommel and the Axis player gaining the initiative will or will not influence the Adjust card/supply segment.

Oops, indeed, I forgot about this one.

It will not affect it, since the event segment #4 follows the interdiction #2 and card/supply segment #3 in the sequence of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cierniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
So in a typical campaign game, starting with scenario 1, the Allied player should have usually maintained the initiative by the time turn 4 has arrived. THEY would get the extra card (5.2 third bullet) due to having the initiative. Correct? Then in step C of the New Turn Housekeeping, all black lettered events take place thus denying Rommel that all important extra card because he did not HAVE the initiative at the start of the turn. Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffswar wrote:
So in a typical campaign game, starting with scenario 1, the Allied player should have usually maintained the initiative by the time turn 4 has arrived. THEY would get the extra card (5.2 third bullet) due to having the initiative. Correct? Then in step C of the New Turn Housekeeping, all black lettered events take place thus denying Rommel that all important extra card because he did not HAVE the initiative at the start of the turn. Correct?

yes, this is the way the sequence of play is written.

but for this specific event I admit it does not make things look very Logical. Mhhh.... Maybe the phase should have been inverted (events before card play) but this would cause many problems getting the event cards after the turn's events. And I don't want to add an exception for this turn, but I might consider it (stating that this sopecific event takes effect before the card play), not worth it.

So the best is to keep it as is. Sorry Rommel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cierniak
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
So be it. Carl... As always it's been a pleasure to converse with you. Until next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffswar wrote:
So be it. Carl... As always it's been a pleasure to converse with you. Until next time.

With pleasure. I'm always around to help. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.