Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard C.
United States
Monterey Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished our Tholian Web Op last night... was wondering if anyone has any news about the Arena Op? When is it available and any details of what it is about (besides the Gorn)?

I would think it should be out by now since we start the Borg Collective in a couple months?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No idea on the Arena Tournament but could you give us a summary on how the Tholian Web OP went for you? For the non-tourney players such as myself, just curious how the meta changed for it in your area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard C.
United States
Monterey Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure- we had a great tournament with 16 players and the ships from the new wave made a big impact. The web definitely changed the way people moved their ships. We play with faction pure ships at our game store in Pasadena.

I flew a two- Borg sphere build with the flagship resource and came in first; the second place winner also flew with a two Borg build and flagship resource. (That's a lot of attack dice and hit points to deal with!)
The third place winner had a Klingon fleet with the reinforcement sideboard resource.

It was obvious that the Borg movement ability and 360 firing arc had an advantage with the Tholian Web. People also used cloaked mines- but the Borg had an easier time avoiding those.

I think the scenario was very interesting and added much to the excitement of the game. I also think more people will be flying the Borg in our meta.. Hope that helps!

MaximumDT wrote:

No idea on the Arena Tournament but could you give us a summary on how the Tholian Web OP went for you? For the non-tourney players such as myself, just curious how the meta changed for it in your area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:

For me, I really enjoyed the closing play area, and I'm almost tempted to always want to play the Tholian Web scenario. Can't speak to the 'meta' myself.....its was my first OP and I've only otherwise played half a dozen Attack Wing games with my brother or a friend. But in any case, Romulans with cloaked mines have the hands down advantage in the Tholian Web. (Or I guess anyone with Cloaked Mines if you mix factions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard C.
United States
Monterey Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of strategy against the mines (I guess it is not a secret anymore since we finished the tournament)- there is a section in the center of the board that you can fly to with a 4 forward your first turn. By going there, you can prevent the opponent from placing cloaked mines in the dead center (because they must be Range 2 away from your ship).

This allows you to have a special rectangular section where you can fly your Borg ships back and forth the whole game and not come in range of the cloaked mines. And with a scan token, the Borg is able to just fly through one of the mines and not get too hurt.

Hope that helps!

Zinvictus wrote:
MaximumDT wrote:

For me, I really enjoyed the closing play area, and I'm almost tempted to always want to play the Tholian Web scenario. Can't speak to the 'meta' myself.....its was my first OP and I've only otherwise played half a dozen Attack Wing games with my brother or a friend. But in any case, Romulans with cloaked mines have the hands down advantage in the Tholian Web. (Or I guess anyone with Cloaked Mines if you mix factions)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Great stuff, thanks guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Shrike
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
What do you expect to find behind here, King Kong?
mbmbmbmbmb
We had our Tholian Web OP on Saturday. The cloaked mines in the center of the board were really tearing people up. Also, we lost a Borg sphere simply due to having to turn and fly into a web.

It was actually a very cool OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Prickett
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
VarelseShrike wrote:
We had our Tholian Web OP on Saturday. The cloaked mines in the center of the board were really tearing people up. Also, we lost a Borg sphere simply due to having to turn and fly into a web.

It was actually a very cool OP.

Just curious why the Sphere had to turn into the web?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be a result of having a Red Maneuver and receiving a Aux token via another ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't fly carefully, even a sphere can have virtually no options to get away from the web.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H. Tucker Cobey
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
prydain wrote:
The third place winner had a Klingon fleet with the reinforcement sideboard resource.

That was me.

The sideboard was in the fleet on order to fit Projected Stasis Field, Sabotage, and Concussive Charges into an otherwise typical Martok/Drex/Gowron/Worf/N'Garen build. Projected Stasis Field ended up being clutch against both the Borg fleets I faced and a Breen ship with a nasty-looking energy dissipator.

Cloaked Mines nearly wrecked me round 1; I am incredibly lucky that the match ended when it did. Round 2 was no challenge at all, which I actually feel really bad about. (I really like the guy I played, and he has just had some really rotten luck against me in the past few weeks.) Round 3 was a VERY tight match against a pair of spheres; had the dice fallen differently, it could have gone either way.

Round 1 was won by me taking out a 68-point sphere while losing nothing; Round 2 was a clean sweep on my part; Round 3 I got one 48-point sphere and lost everything. Props to Richard for sweeping his Round 3 opponent: If he'd lost even one ship, I'd have placed 4th instead. ;-)

I found the web really irritating. Not because it wasn't advantageous--barring the cloaked mines, I really wanted to be in close range--but because it took so damn long. It was the reason my match went to time Round 1 as we both tried to remember how it worked, and didn't really add any fun to the gameplay. Enforcing close quarters didn't make the games more fun--they just made cloaked mines really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard C.
United States
Monterey Park
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Tucker- you did great- especially since you are relatively new to these Ops.

I hope your girlfriend will be willing to try our next Op!

tsuyoshikentsu wrote:
prydain wrote:

That was me.

The sideboard was in the fleet on order to fit Projected Stasis Field, Sabotage, and Concussive Charges into an otherwise typical Martok/Drex/Gowron/Worf/N'Garen build. Projected Stasis Field ended up being clutch against both the Borg fleets I faced and a Breen ship with a nasty-looking energy dissipator.

Cloaked Mines nearly wrecked me round 1; I am incredibly lucky that the match ended when it did. Round 2 was no challenge at all, which I actually feel really bad about. (I really like the guy I played, and he has just had some really rotten luck against me in the past few weeks.) Round 3 was a VERY tight match against a pair of spheres; had the dice fallen differently, it could have gone either way.

Round 1 was won by me taking out a 68-point sphere while losing nothing; Round 2 was a clean sweep on my part; Round 3 I got one 48-point sphere and lost everything. Props to Richard for sweeping his Round 3 opponent: If he'd lost even one ship, I'd have placed 4th instead. ;-)

I found the web really irritating. Not because it wasn't advantageous--barring the cloaked mines, I really wanted to be in close range--but because it took so damn long. It was the reason my match went to time Round 1 as we both tried to remember how it worked, and didn't really add any fun to the gameplay. Enforcing close quarters didn't make the games more fun--they just made cloaked mines really good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Dole
msg tools
Yeah, it's up now.

http://wizkidsgames.com/wp-content/uploads/newattackwing/are...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Lee

Virginia
msg tools
Well, this should be an interesting one. People will stop complaining about the borg for this scenario, since it seems they are pretty limited. Spheres can only put forward one or two captains, which are likely to die to a 3 or 4 ship build. Then, the winning player gets to score points and re-arrange the terrain and ships to suit them? Should be a borg stomper.

Ladies and gents, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to build a fleet that beats Picard and Dukat in Styrofoam rock combat on a reliable basis. Glory and gorn ships await you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmmmm... So basically, "Roll dice until one of you runs out of Hit Points."

While I truly admire the spirit of this, and effort of trying to shake things up, and I always try to reserve judgment... it seems kind of... boring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nelson
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordaenor wrote:
Hmmmm... So basically, "Roll dice until one of you runs out of Hit Points."

While I truly admire the spirit of this, and effort of trying to shake things up, and I always try to reserve judgment... it seems kind of... boring.

It's the after-party that's fun here. How to set up your opponents ships to screw them over the most.

Also, the loser of the planet battle gets to continue playing with NO captains

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scooter of the Ancients
United States
West Chester
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
koku ryu wrote:
[q="Mordaenor"]Also, the loser of the planet battle gets to continue playing with NO captains

One of those "It's funny as long as its not happening to you" moments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.