5 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Putting clue on a Mystery & Effect causing discarding problem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jose Kuo
Taiwan
flag msg tools
Sorry everyone, since my logic isn't very well, so I have some question to ask.

Q1: Some Mysteries content like "when u gain clue from Research card, u may spend one clue and put it onto the Mystery"

if a research card gives u an addition clue, can u put that addition clue & original one onto the Mystery card?(means totally putting two clues)

Q2: some effect cause u to "discard 1 ITEM ASSET", can the investigator choose to discard one or he discards one at random?

sorry for asking these stupid question. thx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording for those Mysteries and clue encounters are very strict. you may only place ONE clue per research encounter and it must be specifically gained by research encounters, not by general encounters, nor by gaining an Artifact (more than once have I been farming for clues and gotten the Grotesque Statue, damn thing)

As for any card effects that leave multiple discrete target options the reference guide says that the investigator may choose. All tie breaks are also decided by the lead investigator, so they would be the final say in other effects, but in reality it'll be a team decision anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Kuo
Taiwan
flag msg tools
thx for J.

I got your point.

but may I ask where did the reference guide talk about "multiple discrete target options"?

I search the reference guide many times but I can't find something about this sentence.

BTW why I'll ask Q2 is because some card event description say "ur investigator being robbed or stolen", but the final result instruct u to "discard 1 ITEM ASSET", this seems like u have a choosing.

Normally, who can choose one thing and ask the thief just take it?

So I just wonder whether the card should say "discard 1 Random Item Asset" but not "discard 1 ITEM ASSET".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The easiest way to play Eldritch Horror is to take the cards very literally. So when the card says "you may spend one clue and put it on the mystery" it means precisely that: you may spend one clue. Not two, not three, but one. If it said "you may put the clue you gained on the mystery" that would mean something very different. FFG were pretty careful with the wording they used, they didn't always get it right, but they made a pretty good job of it IMO.

Again, with the discard of the Asset, it doesn't say "discard a random Asset" it says "discard 1 asset", so that's what you do. If it wanted you to discard a random one it would tell you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepp, don't make it too complicated. With this game you write your own story! If the card says that a thief stole an item from you, you just choose one item and say "well, I guess the thief stole my lucky cigarette case!". This is by the books!
Of course you could just houserule it and make things random that appear to be random by theme. Will make the game more difficult (and of course more random^^) but its possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.