Kevin
United States
Van Meter
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. Has anyone beat "To Catch an Orc" playing two players? If so, could you please share who your heroes were?

I would consider my son and I to be quite experienced with Lord of the Rings at this point, but we simply cannot beat this scenario. We had what I would consider a perfect start in our last game:

My Heroes
Gimli
Beorn
Hama

Noah's Heroes
Eowyn
Glorfindel (Spirit)
Frodo

I actually drew "Thicket of Spears" and the Gandalf that can stick around for my starting hand. I manage to get Gandalf in after 2 turns. I now have my 3 original heroes plus semi-permanent Gandalf (along as I up my threat, which I do not mind at this point). I also have an awesome tandem of "Thicket of Spears" and Hama. My son, Noah, has a ton of will with his spirit trio and is bringing in spririt allies as quickly as he can.

Because of his low threat, all the enemies are falling to me, which was a purposeful strategy we were using for this scenario. In my opinion, at least, starts do not get much better than this. Yet, we still lost!

For those who are curious as to how we lost, we actually drew several cards in a row that all did bad things and surged. Before we knew it, we had more threat than even Noah could handle with his high-willed Spirit machine he had churning.

I'm actually at a bit of a loss as to what to try at this point. It is clear that we must keep the spirit trio (and deck), as they have the highest will (and we still lost due to too much threat). I suppose we could try switching someone out with Elrond (and Vilya), but that's extremely risky in my opinion.

And I'm open to trying something other than a trio of Tactics, but I had my hands full fighting off all the enemies as it was. I doubt that I would be able to commit anyway.

Any suggestions? This orc must be caught!

Thanks,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S.
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kevin,

It's a tough scenario 2-player - you can just straight out lose with certain encounter draws (surges and additional revealed cards on the "When revealed" text box of certain enemies), and if you ever lose your last time counter on Stage 2 you have to draw 4 encounter cards (for me I just considered it an insta-loss if this ever happened, it wouldn't have been worth playing out).

All that said, I have a 4 and 10 record against it, so I did win at least a few times.

One of the deck pairs I used was Eowyn, Glorfindel, and Brand son of Bain on one side, and Merry, Denethor, and Sam on the other. The idea was to engage all enemies on Merry's side, to be defended with a Gondorian Shield and Burning Brand boosted Denethor, and attacked with Brand and Merry together (they ready each other if they defeat an enemy, so you can then attack any other enemies left standing).

Good luck!

For what it's worth, my record on The Fords of Isen (2-handed solo) is even worse - 2 and 7.

Edit - If I recall correctly, you can get really hosed with location build up, so you'll definitely need Asfaloth / Northern Trackers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Van Meter
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You were spot on, Roger. This has definitely been one of the more challenging scenarios we've faced, but I think it was just the fact that we ran into an extra nasty sequence of encounter cards. I think I was just a bit stunned when that "perfect start" I described in my original post failed.

That was a clever idea using the hero combinations you did. My son, Noah, won it solo using Eowyn, Glorfindel (spirit), and Denethor, so you two definitely has something going using that strategy.

We did finally end up winning this scenario. We had tried another combination (with all lore and spirit heroes), but that was somewhat disastrous for us. Your post inspired us to go back and try it again using the same combo as my original post (Gimli, Beorn, Hama, and Eowyn, Glorfindel, and Frodo). We did tweak our deck just a tad (we ended up taking out most attachments and added some low cost fodder...er, I mean, allies).

While still challenging, we had a little better experience with the encounter cards the last go around, and a nicely timed draw of "Thicket of Spears" and "Feint" worked out great for us.

Thanks for responding, Roger. That's impressive you went 4 and 10...that's definitely a tough one. I think with our win last night, we are something like 1-9, so it was a nice feeling when we finally beat it last night.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
One of Many Mikes
badge
Ribbit..?
mbmbmbmbmb
I just posted the two decks that I used to beat all three scenarios here: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1170355/two-decks-designed-t...

To Catch an Orc can certainly be a tough quest if you can't put progress on the quest card. I had one team devoted entirely to questing, featuring Eowyn, Glorfindel, and Fatty Bolger. Pelargir Shipwright and Arwen are wonderful allies to have in this scenario. I also like The Riddermark's Finest; remember, Broken Lands only protects locations in the staging area, so The Riddermark's Finest can target the active location if you're in a pinch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.