Popular Tags: [View All]
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Still very new to this game. I realize the idea of a CCG or LCG is to come up with combinations of cards that work well together and give you the best chance to win (typically). But I'm a very theme-based person. Does anyone play decks solely constructed with (or to the extent possible) one faction or corporation? If so, what one, and how is your success level (success being both fun, and playability)? What are your thoughts on 'pure' decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I do not think it breaks the theme. I see out of faction cards as rare tricks that hackers learn: "Let's try this cool thing I learned when I once hacked with that guy in New Tokyo!".

Even The Professor (the identity with most out of faction cards) is simply an expert in programs. So why can't he use all of his knowledge when hacking?

In any case, a more direct answer to your question: identities normally have 15 influence. This end up being 5 or so cards out of faction...Are these cards totally necessary? Clearly no. I am certain I have won several games without ever using them (say, I never drew them). However, they can be very helpful in complementing the problem your faction has.

Clearly by restricting yourself to in-faction cards you are hindering your deck. I am certain that you can get competitive decks, and even win a tournament (heck, I once won a Tournament with the core set against people with the whole Spin cicle!)....but there is a reason why the best decks ingame play their maximum of influence.

Actually, there is a plus side as well: if you play the corporation (say Jinteki) and you are NOT allowed to play out of faction cards, then I know that you cannot do anything if I am tagged. So why would I care removing tags? It is cool when a player has to do a sub-optimal move just in case the opponent has this out of faction card that would hurt me a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
Mixing factions is the best way to make a theme deck. Playing one faction solely will exhibit that faction's inherent weaknesses rather than enforce a theme. Unless you theme is restricted to mono-faction, in which case my argument doesn't hold.

The variety of card effects you get in netrunner is spread out among the factions to keep the balance in check. If you want mechanical themes, then I think you pretty much have to mix factions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
With the card pool as it is now, it is easy to make very good single faction decks. Half of my HB decks I create, end up at no influence spent. I usually adjust it and try to squeeze in using up the influence, but it is not always the best course of action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Still very new to this game. I realize the idea of a CCG or LCG is to come up with combinations of cards that work well together and give you the best chance to win (typically). But I'm a very theme-based person. Does anyone play decks solely constructed with (or to the extent possible) one faction or corporation? If so, what one, and how is your success level (success being both fun, and playability)? What are your thoughts on 'pure' decks?

I don't think it breaks theme for a Corporation to buy software from another Corporation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
It would only be a disadvantage if people knew your deck didn't spend influence and even then, it wouldn't be a big deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Wray
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you find all the cards that you want/need to play your deck and they are in faction, go for it. If you have to find in-faction options to substitute for a better card you could have used by going out of faction, then you are making a choice for a sub-optimal card based on your faction theme. This isn't bad, it just means you have created an artificial challenge for yourself. If you accept that, then go for it there, too.

I agree that regardless of what you do, don't telegraph it to your opponent. Oftentimes the mere presence of a card in the pool changes behaviors and there is no reason to tell someone what cards you don't have (whether it is by set or by faction). This is a game of information, horde it as much as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback all. I should note, I don't play competitively, and probably never will (in a town of 150 people, my wife gets stuck being my only opponent). But I think it'll be flavorful to stick with one faction, at least for a while. If nothing else, it'll help me to really know the ins and outs of it. I like that it doesn't look like it'll be a huge hindrance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Sigal
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you playing only core? Because in that scenario, you don't actually splash influence at first (the core decks are all the cards from one identity + the neutrals). It is usually recommended that you play with each identity a few times to see how it plays before delving into deck building anyways.

But that being said, the identities have really come into their own through later cards. Core Shaper, for one example, has no tutoring - which is what they really excel at now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.