Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have enough experience playing this game to know whether this idea would work; so I thought I'd float it here. This assumes that there are enough starter sets to provide the appropriate number of sidekick dice.

When playing with more than two players play moves clockwise around the table; however, you may only attack the player to your right. As players get eliminated, the person you can attack will obviously change. Last one standing wins.

The one thing I'm not sure about is the number of basic action cards. One possibility is to add 1 extra basic action per additional player; another is to keep the number of cards the same; but, add another die to each card for each additional player. If the first option is used, the extra colors of dice will need to be labeled (perhaps using small stickers). This wouldn't be necessary using the second option.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Laying with more than two players - an idea
I was just going to try one of these variants:

(1) instead of taking damage, the attacker gets a point for every point of damage they do. First to 20 wins.

(2) Play until one player is eliminated -- whoever has the most life at that point wins. This can be interesting as the game eventually turns into figuring out who you *don't* want to attack and/or trying to time it out so someone else softens an opponent up for you to finish in a big turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crystal McLaughlin
Australia
WOLLONGONG
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try adding an additional action die for every player more than two. When declaring attackers the player also declares which player they are attacking with those attackers. That way the player has the versatility to attacker more than one player in the same turn. Naturally the defender can offer up as many blocker they like for the declared attackers.
Alternately there are probably discussion on here already for a 4 player version that is closer to a 2v2 team style game. This might be where the team takes their turn at the same time....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Judnick
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
(1) instead of taking damage, the attacker gets a point for every point of damage they do. First to 20 wins.

Would they also get points for gaining/healing life?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Ford
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found global abilities and targeted effects are also an issue in multiplayer games - it kind of sucks to be attacking one guy when someone on the other side of the table uses an effect that sweeps your board.

I usually play that global/targeted effects only are effective 1 player in either direction (I guess if you were playing a huge game you could extend that but I'm guessing most multiplayer for something like this is 3-4 people as opposed to like 10 )

In grand melee style multiplayer I've always found it degenerates into people pounding on whoever had a bad draw (or in this case some bad die rolls). Various forms of attack to the left (or right) have always been a solid solution for me.

I liked the attack to the left style of the old VTES ccg; whoever is on your left is your prey - if they are eliminated for any reason you get credit for them dying (makes global damaging effects a risky inclusion into the board!). Then whoever is on his left becomes your next prey. Most prey kills wins, last person standing (or closest to it) is the tiebreaker.

It brings in a lot more table involvement and people coming to the aid of their own predator in some cases - you want to minimize points your opponents get from eliminating people and maximize your own. It can bog down if you have a spirited table for politics though

How to handle actions is an interesting one, I'd probably go with players + 1 for actions but 4 or 5 dice per action - you'd have to have 2 starters or mix in unused character dice as proxy action dice though. Would really have to play it more to get a feel for actions in multiplayer, in 2p they are not usually bought out until the low cost heroes are purchased so I have no idea how quickly they'd be bought in multi. Blockers are key and actions don't block

I'm not sure how it'd work with this one but whenever I have a group that's interested in giving it a try I will be - hopefully some of those ideas might be useful for your multiplayer group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea where you add one more die to each basic action per additional player. I think that would be the best bet.

Targeting wise I think the game would work just fine with either route you suggested. I think a straight free for all would be fine with a rule that you have to target a specific player with global abilities. IE if it's player 3's turn and player 2 paid the global ability on Mr. Fantastic (player must attack this turn) then player 3 must attack player 2.

It may seem imbalanced but if a player goes all out to eliminate one player a bunch of his characters go to his used pile and that leaves him vulnerable to ganks from the other players, so it might not be worth it to all beat up on one player. Would have to play test it out to see how the meta would evolve in a game like this.

If not a free for all I think a fair balance would be you are only allowed to target the person on your left or on your right.

Sounds like a very fun idea. Once more starters become available and more people have the game I would be very open to formats like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chainsaw Rabbit
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Attack-to-the-left (or right!) is probably the best solution for three-player and competitive four-player games. Each player chooses a Basic Action, with a fourth dealt randomly in a three-player game. Each Basic Action gets a number of dice equal to 1 + number of players.

For four players, I've been thinking of kitbashing the multiplayer rules for Star Wars: The Card Game to use with Marvel Dice Masters.

Each team of two players sits across from each other. You can only attack the player across from you.

Each team chooses twelve cards with thirty dice, which forms their available purchase pool for the game. Each team brings two Basic Actions, which gets five dice (again, 1 + number of players). Each team shares thirty life.

Play proceeds as normal.

I've been toying with the idea of a "shared reserve" so players on a team can help each other out. My basic idea is, you can place a die that rolled an action or energy face (not a character face) into the shared reserve during you Main Step; any die already there is returned to its owner. Either player on the team can use the reserve die at any time, at which point it returns to its owner. This idea will need some work for it to run smoothly; I think it could be abused by one player rolling up cheap actions for his or her teammate, fielding a heavy-hitting team, to use in devastating assaults on their opponent, or to abuse the hell out of Global abilities. The restriction on character-face dice prevent one player from spamming cheap characters and then "reserving" those characters for their teammate to activate, while the teammate focuses on building resources for higher-cost characters and actions.

It's a work in progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fwj_777 wrote:
Quote:

Would they also get points for gaining/healing life?

I thought about that and was intending to swap that around. So, when you "heal" you can actually remove points from someone else. Thematically, if healing helped you gain points, healing would become massively overpowered, but by turning it into a different sort of attack, it creates (I think) an interesting strategic option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being able to attack anywhere is fine if you want a game with a lot of "screwage factor". I've played a lot of those game before and honestly, I like to steer away from them. I've seen way too many games turn nasty and friends at each others' throats because they got stabbed in the back by their (supposed) ally.

That's why I like the attack right only (or left if you prefer) setup. You are limited in who you can attack by design. There's no ganging up, no screwing your neighbor - just good old fashioned beating the crap out of each other.

That is an interesting point about the global abilities, though. I think a good solution is that global abilities affect only you and your prey (or predator if you're on the receiving end). That keeps the game mechanics clean.

I like the team aspect approach as well. If the kinks could get worked out, it would come closest to recreating the "actual" events this game is trying to portray - a team of superheroes going head-to-head with a group of arch-villains!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.