Popular Tags: [View All]
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!
Thanks for checking out this GMT P500 entry. I will be posting more info as it becomes available. If you have any questions about this game as it proceeds through the P500 process, please post away.

I also just had another game make the P500 - At Any Cost: 1870 - and if you'd like to check that one out also, please feel free.

Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this yesterday and immediately placed a P500 order for it. After playing the Wheatfield, this is a must have Hermann!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kirk! I'm glad you liked Gettysburg: The Wheatfield!
It was our inability to get the Tattered Flags series moving farther along that inspired me to do this game. A lot of gamers were asking for the Peach Orchard, Devil's Den, etc. so I decided to do a new game about the entire attack in one sweep.
I hope you like it. I just posted the Detailed Sequence of Play in the Files section.

Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is kind of what I figured Hermann. After watching the development, well...you know, of Tattered Flags I figured you would apply the same "feel" to this attack. I was waiting for the expansion to occur there, and this one seems to be what I was waiting for.

Is it time yet to start with other ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we are finally getting some movement from VPG on the Tattered Flags expansion, so that might yet see the light of day.

If Hammerin' Sickles does well, we do plan on doing Culp's Hill next (which will be great fun). If that all works out well, I'd love to tackle The Wilderness Campaign after that. Talk about chaos!

Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Culps Hill and Wilderness sound damn good. May even Hornets Nest and the whole cornfield at Antietam?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed - if people like the system, the possibilities are endless.
Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Allton
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Well, we are finally getting some movement from VPG on the Tattered Flags expansion, so that might yet see the light of day.

If Hammerin' Sickles does well, we do plan on doing Culp's Hill next (which will be great fun). If that all works out well, I'd love to tackle The Wilderness Campaign after that. Talk about chaos!

Thanks!
Hermann

I read that the Culps Hill game would be able to be linked up with this one to set up the entire second day of Gettysburg. That sounds great, but I had a question.

For the games that cover segments of battles like this one, or on smaller battles like your Stonewall's Sword game, army command doesnt really come into play. But for an entire second day game, are there going to be army and corps leaders there rated for how many divisions can be commanded, and therefore how many chits are used each turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very perceptive, Kirk! Yes, if we thankfully get to the point of being able to do a second game, there will be an extra layer grafted onto the Blind Swords system to account for the bigger Second Day campaign scenario. Maybe "Sector Cups" or something like that, we'll figure it out.
Thanks!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Barber
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Thanks Kirk! I'm glad you liked Gettysburg: The Wheatfield!
It was our inability to get the Tattered Flags series moving farther along that inspired me to do this game. A lot of gamers were asking for the Peach Orchard, Devil's Den, etc. so I decided to do a new game about the entire attack in one sweep.
I hope you like it. I just posted the Detailed Sequence of Play in the Files section.

Hermann

As Herm hinted, there has now been a huge lurch forward with the Tattered Flags: Whirlpool in the Wheatfield game, now that John Kranz and ConsimPress have rescued us from the Pit of Oblivion. We're already at work on the first module, which will be a full 22 x 34 map covering all the ground from west of the Emmitsburg Road to the Plum Run Valley; from north of the Millerstown/Wheatfield Road to the southern tip[ of Devil's Den. Counters and scenarios will cover all the action from de Trobriand initial deployment to Crawford's PA Reserves stopping Wofford's final attack!

Should that initial game do well, the next segment will be the same size map covering the rest of Hood's Attack to the south (Devil's Den and such), with the third adding in the ground to the north covered by McLaws and Anderson's attacks on the Peach Orchard and Humphreys' line. A series of 17 x 22 sections will add in all the hills to the east, from Weikert's Knob and Munshowers's Hill down through the Round Tops. And while I don't foresee (yet) the possibility of mapping out the entire field at this close scale, I already have a 17 x 22 section mapped showing the 'critical' section of the Culp's Hill action - basically starting from in the north where the main hill gets too steep to attack, and stopping where Rock Creek turns into the McAllister Millpond; both being the practical limits on Johnson's attack. 'It Ain't Easy Being Greene' or 'We're Still UP Here!' are the two working titles......

So if you like Hermann's design ideas, you'll be able to game out July Second in your choice of scales! ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Barber
United States
New Cumberland
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:
Very perceptive, Kirk! Yes, if we thankfully get to the point of being able to do a second game, there will be an extra layer grafted onto the Blind Swords system to account for the bigger Second Day campaign scenario. Maybe "Sector Cups" or something like that, we'll figure it out.
Thanks!
Herm

I'd point out that Stonewall's Sword already has a Corps Commander on each side (Banks and Jackson) and that there were very few fields in the ACW where the ARMY Commander played much of an active battlefield role, save possibly in the negative (McClellan and Hooker.) So not much of a leap there. At Gettysburg Meade was far more 'involved' in terms of moving reserves and such around than Lee, and much better served by the likes of Reynolds, Hancock and Sykes than Lee was by any of his three Corps COmmanders. I'll leave it to Herm to work out those nasty little details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgoyne

Racine
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Any idea how long a game will take to play once one is familiar with the rules? Will there be variable length scenarios? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Andrew!
There will be one small scenario, two medium scenarios and two larger ones (well, that's the plan anyway). So the small scenario can get knocked off in an hour or two, the medium ones in two to four and the bigger ones quite a bit longer. The rules will take at least one play to "get" - the system is different. If you want to play the system before HS comes out, you could try out Stonewall's Sword and/or Thunder in the Ozarks (coming out next week), both available from Revolution Games.

Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burgoyne

Racine
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! I read one of your articles with an example of play and was really interested in the chit pull system. I did preorder HS and might have to check out Ozarks. I vacationed in the Ozarks last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andrew! I appreciate the support. I love chit pull systems and this one is quite different. I hope you get a chance to try it out.

Herm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.