Popular Tags: [View All]
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!
Thanks for checking out this GMT P500 entry. I will be posting more info as it becomes available. If you have any questions about this game as it proceeds through the P500 process, please post away.

I also just had another game make the P500 - Hammerin' Sickles: Longstreet Attacks at Gettysburg - and if you'd like to check that one out also, please feel free.

Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Hermann!

So you designed Duel of Eagles using the same system. Since At Any Cost covers some of the same historical territory as the former, what differences can we expect?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, good question! Duel of Eagles is the parent system and it was the game that convinced Gene Billingsley that he'd like something similar in the GMT catalog. So yes, At Any Cost owes a lot to that design, but by the same token I was able to expand upon the idea by quite a large margin since GMT games have a larger footprint than White Dog products. So, each unit now has it's own Morale/Training value (called its Cohesion Rating) in the game. Mitrailleuse batteries are separate units (not incorporated in the artillery unit anymore) and there are Detachment units available, so you can break down your brigades into smaller deployments (for infiltration, screening or garrisoning purposes). The CRT's now use two D10's and there are more varied results. The map covers triple the area that Duel of Eagles does and includes not only a scenario for Mars-la-Tour, but one for Gravelotte-St. Privat as well. The big addition is a campaign game, so both sides can make operational decisions that will change the way the campaign develops. This includes a really cool off-map operational movement system for the Prussians, that is low-overhead but still captures the thrill of planning sweeping movements without knowing how they will turn out on the battlefield.

So at its core, this is the same game - but with oh so many more layers.

Thanks!
Hermann
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pressler
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been following "At Any Cost" on GMT's P500 page for a while but recently noticed Compass Games has "Position Manifique" published in Paper Wars (currently at a Holiday Special price!) What are the differences between these two games? I can't decide which one to get at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Paul!
Position Magnifique is a new version of Duel of Eagles, which went out of print at White Dog Games a couple of years back. Both are the "parent" games to At Any Cost. The systems are almost identical but PM/DoE covers only the Battle of Mars-la-Tour; AAC covers that battle, Gravelotte-St. Privat and the entire campaign as well. So a much larger scope.

Thanks for the inquiry and I hope you enjoy whichever one you decide on.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all! Just to let you know .... I got my designer's copy of the game today to check over and damn - it looks incredible. You guys are gonna love it!

Thanks!

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.