Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Reaper Steve
United States
Alamogordo
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the regular figs... they are perfect.
I also love the three large based figs and I think it's awesome they are in the same scale as the fighters.
I also love the medium transport and forthcoming corvette (huge bases). I think they made a good decision with the scale considerations.

BUT...
I don't like all three together.
I think the regular and large-based figs go together well.
And, I think the regular and huge-based figs go together well.
However, I think the large bases figs are completely out of place when using the regular and huge based figs.

At this point, I'd rather see a scaled down Falcon, Firespray, and Shuttle (and any other forthcoming 'large' ship) that would instead use the regular sizes bases. For instance, the current ME is 5" long. I think a 3" long version would still have the appropriate presence and clearly be larger than the fighters, while fitting in better between the fighters and the huge ships. (However, a similar rescaling of a Firespray would make it the same size as a B-Wing, although beefier.)

Anyway, as it currently is, I find the large ships out of place on a table with fighters and transports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Stewart
United States
Owego
NY
flag msg tools
designer
www.drunkassgames.com
badge
!!!NERD ALERT!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not purchasing anything that is not to scale with the dogfighters. I may be in the minority on this one, but I think it looks and feels silly to do it any other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
You want them the same SCALE or the same SIZE?

He said scale pretty clearly, I think. I'm not sure of the exact scale but the Transport and Tantive IV are in a smaller scale than the 1/270 used for the other ships in the game.

They're not off by a massive amount, but they are off. Personally this doesn't bother me any (I'm not buying either one right off, or maybe ever, but that's more to do with cost than scale) but it obviously does bother some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glamdryn wrote:
I am not purchasing anything that is not to scale with the dogfighters. I may be in the minority on this one, but I think it looks and feels silly to do it any other way.

I agree, although I *am* buying the ships - for display, and their hella-awesome-upgrades, if nothing else. They just look...silly...on the table, though. I wish FFG would have stuck with the scale, even if the price had to go up to accommodate.

RedShark92 wrote:
They're not off by a massive amount, but they are off. Personally this doesn't bother me any (I'm not buying either one right off, or maybe ever, but that's more to do with cost than scale) but it obviously does bother some.

I'm not sure it will be as obvious with the Tantive IV, as even at the 'wrong scale', it could look like a viable design? So maybe that one will show up in play - will have to see how it looks in person.

However, with the Rebel Transport - that pod on the top is very obviously the 'bridge' of the ship, and it's EQUALLY obvious how ridiculously small it is (far smaller than the cockpit of even an X-Wing). That bubble really needs to be *at least* the size of the B-Wing 'head' (and it'd still look like a ridiculously cramped bridge, but it *is* just a transport after all, so...maybe...it's still a stretch, though...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You've got the imagination to play the 3 dimensions of space in a 2 dimensional area, but not enough to adjust for scale? Try squinting and think foreground, background.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
HawkeyeLonewolf wrote:
You want them the same SCALE or the same SIZE?

He said scale pretty clearly, I think. I'm not sure of the exact scale but the Transport and Tantive IV are in a smaller scale than the 1/270 used for the other ships in the game.

SansFi's math is that the Huge Ships are in 1/390 scale, more or less. That means to be at the same scale as the Small and Large ships, they need to be about 25% bigger in all dimensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex McKechnie
msg tools
mbmb
XanderF wrote:

However, with the Rebel Transport - that pod on the top is very obviously the 'bridge' of the ship, and it's EQUALLY obvious how ridiculously small it is (far smaller than the cockpit of even an X-Wing). That bubble really needs to be *at least* the size of the B-Wing 'head' (and it'd still look like a ridiculously cramped bridge, but it *is* just a transport after all, so...maybe...it's still a stretch, though...)

So, though I agree with you in that I would like the structure you're referring to as the pilothouse, but, every official thing I've personally seen calls it out as the deflector shield generator.

--Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kostas K.
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albertese wrote:
So, though I agree with you in that I would like the structure you're referring to as the pilothouse, but, every official thing I've personally seen calls it out as the deflector shield generator.

--Alex

I think it is mentioned as "command pod with deflector shield generator", so it actually is the bridge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kostool13 wrote:
Albertese wrote:

--Alex

I think it is mentioned as "command pod with deflector shield generator", so it actually is the bridge.

Yup, the crew AND the shield is supposed to fit in that thing. It probably needed to be about the same size as the YT-1300 command pod...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Bull
England
Southwater
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it was intended for an Ewok crew?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jut Daron
United States
Ithaca
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the books and extra material I have ever read, made note that it was a sensor array and not the bridge.

This always struck me, as I too thought it looked like a/the bridge.

I have no problem with the scale and preordered one of each through MM and can't wait till the end of this month!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hall
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
With regards to the transport, I believe one Star Wars magazine originally stated that it was a shield generator, without mentioning anything else. But then a movie companion-like book came out with a diagram stating it was simply the "command pod". Both were licensed sources.

Either way, the transport should only be about 25% larger, at most, to be in scale. The pod at the top would hardly hold the crew even at that increased size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I've purchased 2 of the transports and yes the command module does look small but reference material indicates that possible only one crew member was required to command the ship and the rest of the crew were droids. I plan on using them as GR45 transports which were quite a bit smaller than the GR75. This will require the removal of the extra drive engines on the upper hull but I thinks it doable. I have 2 of the Micro Machine playset GR75's which are closer to 1/270 scale and will be using them instead. They get to use all the upgrade cards designed for the GR75's.

This is the Micro Machine GR75 and when I get a chance I'll post a comparision picture of both transports, the large and small ships;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tjbruehan wrote:
This is the Micro Machine GR75 and when I get a chance I'll post a comparision picture of both transports, the large and small ships;

Is that the 'play set' version? Or the 'Titanium'-line version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
playset version - required some detailing but looks good - crappy picture doesn't do it justice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Beal
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scale doesn't bother me too much as all they really are is visual representations.

Comparative base sizes and movements might actually be something more relevant to be in proportion rather than the models themselves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ar Phanad
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Glamdryn wrote:

I agree, although I *am* buying the ships - for display, and their hella-awesome-upgrades, if nothing else. They just look...silly...on the table, though. I wish FFG would have stuck with the scale, even if the price had to go up to accommodate.

RedShark92 wrote:

I'm not sure it will be as obvious with the Tantive IV, as even at the 'wrong scale', it could look like a viable design? So maybe that one will show up in play - will have to see how it looks in person.

What is this? A command pod for ants???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sperling
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arphanad wrote:
XanderF wrote:
Glamdryn wrote:

RedShark92 wrote:

What is this? A command pod for ants???

This command pod needs to be at least... three times bigger than this!

Ironically, that might just work, scale-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.