Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

video: https://vine.co/v/M6wwJFXQj69

Now that everything fits snug, I'm wrapping up my microcontroller code to have the different sections all slowly pulse independently.

I've got a scout cube on standby to modify as well, but the areas to light up aren't as clear cut, so I'll have to play with it a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great, LED modifications to the Sphere are just begging to be done.

The hardest part is splitting the darn thing though, I had fun nearly losing a finger on the first one finding those connection posts.

I carved out the plastic on the insides so the LEDs bleed out throughout the entire sphere.

Above image is all LED light, no repaint besides black primer there, bonus showing of my repainted Voyager.

I can't wait to take a crack at the Tactical Cube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What'd you use to thin down the walls? I sort of went the other route of using fiber optics to poke through and blacked out the whole inside so only those pin lights would pop through.

You should do a spin video of yours, I'd love to see it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pyrowolf wrote:
What'd you use to thin down the walls? I sort of went the other route of using fiber optics to poke through and blacked out the whole inside so only those pin lights would pop through.

You should do a spin video of yours, I'd love to see it!

I used simple green to really thin the paint of the entire sphere inside and out then used a dremmel to shave the inside thickness a bit lower than half.

If you do this wear a mask and do it outside, the plastic this thing is made from is pretty vile.

Using 2 LEDs on the inside to light it up but after applying more paint on the outside it isn't quite as bright as the picture above with Voyager now that I've applied more painting detail to the outside so I'm probably going to add a couple more batteries and get the LED brightness back up to that point.

Still, pretty cool effect even at its current brightness VS no LED.

I rebuilt 2 of the posts with green stuff and some pins so it holds together the plan was to go magnets but this proved to be that much easier. I also prefer this orientation for the sphere after a fellow BGG suggested doing it this way.

Both Spheres are still works in progress since I've spent more time playing over the last couple days than working on things after getting my Nebula Class (Sutherland) painted up. You, as well as anybody else interested, can see my current Federation Fleet in the BGG gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Jackowski
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm still in the middle of my mods. I suggest using sandpaper to remove the paint on the inside. Once it is removed you just have the semi-opaque white plastic so it can let the light shine through better.

I have also used very fine sandpaper on the outside. I'm doing this to remove some paint so my primer will adhere better. I am also going to use liquid masking fluid to cover the previously green dots. These will be the semi-opaque white color and will be green with my green LEDs on.

I am also using a tool to scrape some paint off in the crevases. Right now I'm mostly waiting for my greenstuff to set for my neo-magnets (using one at each of the "posts"). I'm having some issue with that. I am also waiting on some more LEDs as my last one failed on me.

Good stuff all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried magnets at first, but they just didn't hold that well plus let all sorts of light bleed around the groove. I ended up going with a strip of plastic around the edge so the two halves now snap together super tight, and now no light bleed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:

That. Is. Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the kind of thread that makes me love these forums...

Added to Collected Expansion Threads for Attack Wing (aka Pimp your AW), even added a new section called "Mods".

Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After working on a ridiculous amount of Warmachine/Hordes models (6 Factions since May 2012, don't ask how many points....) I find repainting/modding ships for this game to be quite fun by comparison.

My job includes a 24 hour on-call shift every 3 weeks so that limits what I can do, this hobby keeps me going.

When a ship only takes a couple hours each (Federation ships take a bit more due to abundance of windows to paint) I find I can actually play with them more than the time I've spent painting them which compared to the afformentioned Warmachine/Hordes is not nearly the case where assembly/paint time compared to play time is 1000:1 compared to nearly 1:1 for this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MaximumDT wrote:
Using 2 LEDs on the inside to light it up but after applying more paint on the outside it isn't quite as bright as the picture above with Voyager now that I've applied more painting detail to the outside so I'm probably going to add a couple more batteries and get the LED brightness back up to that point.

I think you'd get more bang for your buck if you went with super-bright SMDs for current/brightness ratio, especially if you're using opaque lenses.

I went with a halo configuration to do the preliminary sizing:

Once the mc code is wrapped up, I'll rework the halo and probably charlieplex them to save as much current as possible so I can stick with just a single button cell but still have my pwm faders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gould
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very cool. can I ask were you found your lights?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the prelim it's just the sparkfun lily breakouts, but I've had good luck with the neopixels from adafruit too.

(sparkfun: https://www.sparkfun.com/search/results?term=lilypad+led)
(adafruit: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1558)

Be sure you nab the ones with the resistors built in (the normal ones, not the "micro ones") unless you're current-limiting them yourself. They're kind of pricey for SMD leds as they're made for sewable applications, but I've not found smaller breakouts with built-in resistors than the ones made for the lilypads. You can cut the ends off each pad to shrink them a bit if you need a little more room too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben C
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Any advice on how to separate the Borg Sphere halves apart?

Brute force? Wrench? Tire Iron? Run it over with a car?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clark
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nthbc wrote:
Any advice on how to separate the Borg Sphere halves apart?

Brute force? Wrench? Tire Iron? Run it over with a car?

I've had one that I just worked back and forth by squeezing it along the seams and it eventually just popped apart. The 2nd one, however, required some coaxing with an xacto but by then I knew where the pins were inside so it was easier to know where to apply pressure and/or cut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.