Tyler Gillen
msg tools
Attack spells, for example scorching ray, all have words like:

For your combat check you may roll your arcane die.....

The Acolyte says:

Recharge this card to add 1d4 to your Arcane or Divine check.

My instinct on this is that you can't use the Acolyte for a spell because even though you are using your arcane dice you are making a COMBAT check and the acolyte only works for ARCANE or DIVINE checks.

However from what I have read on here it sounds like you actually can recharge the Acolyte to add 1d4 to your roll when casting spells to make combat checks.

Is there any official ruling on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Tan
Philippines
Quezon City
Metro Manila
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This paragraph is what you're looking for...

Pathfinder ACG RotR Rulebook, page 11 wrote:

Some cards may allow you to replace the required skill for a check with a different one; as part of this action, you may play only 1 card or use only 1 power that defines the skill you are going to use. When you play a card that does this, add that card’s traits to the check; for example, revealing the weapon Longsword +1 for your combat check adds the Sword, Melee, Slashing, and Magic traits to the check. (This isn’t the same as giving you a skill; for example, the spell Holy Light adds the Divine trait to your check, but it does not give you the Divine skill.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My understanding is that the check gets all of the traits of the card that defines it. So if you use an Arcane spell with "for your combat check" on it, that check is Arcane and Attack and whatever else the spell might say. I also believe that if your Arcane is based on Intellect then the check is also an Intellect check. And so on.

I don't have the references handy but I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Any time you use your Arcane die, or your check has the Arcane trait, you are making an Arcane check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
My understanding is that the check gets all of the traits of the card that defines it. So if you use an Arcane spell with "for your combat check" on it, that check is Arcane and Attack and whatever else the spell might say. I also believe that if your Arcane is based on Intellect then the check is also an Intellect check. And so on.

I don't have the references handy but I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that you can do it as an Arcane check OR an Intellect check. However, whichever trait you use (Arcane or Intellect), all the cards must have that trait and use the associated modifier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the skill you are using for a check refers to another skill, cards that help either skill help the check you are making.

http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1gk#v5748eaic9rb9
Paizo FAQ wrote:
If I'm making a Perception check, and my Perception is based on my Wisdom, do cards that help Wisdom checks help my Perception?
Yes.

Resolution: On page 11, insert this paragraph at the end of "Play cards and use powers that affect the check":

"Some cards and powers affect only specific types of checks, such as Dexterity checks, Acrobatics checks, or noncombat checks. If, on your character card, the skill you're using refers to another skill, both skills count for the purpose of determining the type of check. For example, if you're using the Arcane skill on a combat check, and your character card says that your Arcane skill is Intelligence +2, the check counts as both an Arcane combat check and an Intelligence combat check. Traits also determine the type of check; for example, if you're making a combat check and you played a weapon that added the Ranged trait, it counts as a Ranged combat check.

So if you are Ezren and are making an Arcane check using your Arcane die, playing a card to add to your Intelligence check helps your Arcane check. If you are Valeros and are making a Melee check using your Melee die, playing a card to help your Strength check helps your Melee.

But it doesn't work the other way. If Ezren is making an Intelligence check that is not an Arcane check (like to defeat Cryptic Message) then he can't play the Acolyte.

The traits of a check are defined in four ways.
1. The traits on a card played to "Determine Which Die You're Using"
2. The skill that you determined to use (whether by the card you played or the skill listed as the check requirement)
3. Any other skills that skill refers to.
4. Any trait a card specifically tells you to add to the check.

So, Kyra playing Swipe for her combat check is making a Magic/Arcane/Divine/Attack/Wisdom/Combat check. She is using her Divine die, which refers to her Wisdom, which is how the Wisdom part comes in. She can play any card that relates to a check with any of those traits.

Ezren playing Swipe for his combat check is making a Magic/Arcane/Divine/Attack/Intelligence/Combat check. He is using his Arcane die, which refers to his Intelligence, which is how the Intelligence part comes in. He can play any card that relates to a check with those traits. So he can play Acolyte or Clockwork Librarian.

Ezren playing Wand of Force Missile is making a Wand/Magic/Arcane/Attack/Elite/Combat check. He is NOT using his Arcane die. So it is not also an Intelligence check. So he can play the Acolyte, but not the Clockwork Librarian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why you can use the Headband of Charisma with Seoni's spells OR her spell power (Arcane Die+d6), the Headband of Wisdom with Kyra or Lini's spells, and all of the various Intelligence Items on Ezren's spells. All spells being attack spells btw. That's why all sub-skills (don't shoot me) are stated Sub-Skill: Skill+X. That means to use that sub-skill you use the main skill too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Feldmann SoFrankly
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
This is why you can use the Headband of Charisma with Seoni's spells OR her spell power (Arcane Die+d6), the Headband of Wisdom with Kyra or Lini's spells, and all of the various Intelligence Items on Ezren's spells. All spells being attack spells btw. That's why all sub-skills (don't shoot me) are stated Sub-Skill: Skill+X. That means to use that sub-skill you use the main skill too.

I thought somewhere in the threads or FAQs I read the exact opposite of that - sub-skills cannot be enhanced by main skill cards. I don't know where though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
feldmafx wrote:
kysmart wrote:

I thought somewhere in the threads or FAQs I read the exact opposite of that - sub-skills cannot be enhanced by main skill cards. I don't know where though...

No. If a skill on your card references another skill, cards that affect either kind of check will work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Kratz
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
feldmafx wrote:
kysmart wrote:

No. If a skill on your card references another skill, cards that affect either kind of check will work.

However, if a character doesn't have the skill in question, you can't use a card that doesn't refer to that specific skill to buff that skill.

For example, even though every character that has Fortitude has it under Constitution, a character that does not have Fortitude (say Ezren), couldn't use the Standard Bearer to give him an additional die to his Fortitude check. He can still roll a d4 for his Fortitude check, but since he doesn't have the skill it is not associated with Constitution (or any other skill for that matter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.