Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Rules

Subject: Recharge Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Parker Lindstrom
msg tools
So if I have an Ally card can I recharge it to add a bonus to a check even if I don't need that check at the moment? In other words can I recharge it to put it on the bottom of my deck and free up a spot in my hand in order to have a free space for the next card draw step?

Super noob question. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Nope. You have to be able to use a card to use the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker Lindstrom
msg tools
Ha ha good way of putting it. I think I get it now. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pombeiro
Portugal
Sao Joao do Estoril
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Permit me to disagree.

If you have an ally or another card that says something along the line "recharge to give X bonus to a XPTO check" and you are making an XPTO check you can add it, even if without it you would pass the XPTO check. You are just passing the XPTO check with overwhelming success. Nothing in the rules forbids you to have overwhelming success at a check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Firepigeon wrote:
Permit me to disagree.

If you have an ally or another card that says something along the line "recharge to give X bonus to a XPTO check" and you are making an XPTO check you can add it, even if without it you would pass the XPTO check. You are just passing the XPTO check with overwhelming success. Nothing in the rules forbids you to have overwhelming success at a check.

You're not really disagreeing What the posts above are saying is that if you are not making an XPTO check then you can't just recharge the card for no effect. You are correct that you are free to overwhelmingly succeed or fail at a check by playing or withholding cards and powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think jsciv was saying you couldn't. I think what the OP was asking was "If I have an ally in my hand that says 'Recharge this card to add 1d4 to your stealth check', but I'm not making a Stealth check, can I just recharge it anyway? I have too many cards in my hand and recharging it would let me get a card out of my hand without having to discard it when I reset my hand."

The question was whether he needed the "check" at the moment, not whether the die/bonus the ally gave was necessary to win. You can totally "overwhelm" the check. But you can't play an ally that effects a check if you aren't making that kind of check.

Rulebook v3 p9 wrote:
You may not activate a power that doesn’t apply to your current situation. For example, you may not play a card to reduce damage when damage is not being dealt, or play a card to evade a monster when you are not encountering a monster.

So you may not play a card to add to a Stealth check if you are not making a Stealth check.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Selinker
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Firepigeon wrote:
"recharge to give X bonus to a XPTO check"

I had to look that up, and I'm glad I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mike selinker wrote:
Firepigeon wrote:

I just assumed it was a Portuguese thing and blindly repeated it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/28
mbmbmbmbmb
mike selinker wrote:
Firepigeon wrote:

I got most of the way through the wikipedia entry and still had no idea what it meant until I got to the last sentence: like "foo" in English. Now I get it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.