Popular Tags: [View All]
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a couple of games against a friend of mine, and he's beating me almost every time. His deck consists of Captain America (+1/+1 to sidekicks) and Green Goblin (+1/+1 to sidekicks). He has 4 other cards as well (Nick Fury, Hulk, two others I can't remember), but the main strategy is to get a bunch of sidekicks out at 3/3 and beat me down. This is the deck I've designed to try and combat his strategy:

Human Torch (Playing With Fire) Cost 2, 4 dice
Hawkeye (Longbow) Cost 4, 2 dice
Captain America (Natural Leader) Cost 4, 3 dice
Vibranium Shield (One of a Kind) Cost 4, 1 die
Spider-Man (Webslinger) Cost 5, 3 dice
Colossus (Unstoppable) Cost 6, 2 dice
Force Beam Cost 3
Invulnerability Cost 2

My main idea is to use Spider-Man to force all his characters to block Spidey and overrun him with everyone else, preferably using the Vibranium Shield to prevent Spidey from taking damage. Also I figure I can use the Force Beam to cycle Hawkeye to the KO pile for another 3-4 damage to an opposing character when needed. Do you think this plan will work? Is my "mana curve" (pardon the expression) too high? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really going to comment on the viability of your strategy because honestly playing with strategies is what makes this all fun. However, there are some key characters you can change out to make things just generally better.

The 2 cost Human Torch's ability is weak and his die faces have annoyingly high fielding costs for their stats. Better 2 costs in the starter are Storm and Beast Mutate #666.

The common Colossus's ability and stats are just kind of mediocre at the six cost slot. Consider replacing him with some incarnation of The Hulk.

In the 3 cost slot, Storm is once again pretty strong out of the starter. I'd take her over an action die any day.

In the 4 cost slot, Iron man has some pretty amazing stats on his die faces. Although Hawkeye is probably better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to have two action cards in every game though, so I can't replace those two.

Replacing Human Torch might be a good idea. Maybe I should swap in a 2 cost fist type character to help get Spidey and Colossus out sooner? I have Black Widow, hopefully I can round up two more dice for her as I only have two at the moment.

I like the "spin up" power of Colossus, but either Hulk (Jade Giant) or Hulk (Green Goliath) would be great choices as well.

Hawkeye comes in handy for shooting Nick Fury/Capt America/Green Goblin if needed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
umm storm can be devastating to his deck, the one that makes him re-roll all his stuff when you attack. deadpool can be great as well as punisher mcroock. and of course any strategy that calls for a bunch of pawns to attack just plains dies to beast mutate 666

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas P.
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can in fact need to add two more cards to your lineup. The basic actions don't count towards your 8.

Quote:
Page:25
Choose two different Basic Action cards.
Choose up to 8 cards. You can choose any mix of characters and actions (Except Basic actions)... However, you cannot choose more than one card with the same title on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
mynameisthis wrote:

The common Colossus's ability and stats are just kind of mediocre at the six cost slot. Consider replacing him with some incarnation of The Hulk.

I tend to disagree with this. Colossus has 1/4/4, 1/6/5, and 2/8/7 for stats. I think, for the same purchase cost as Hulk, Colossus's stats are fantastic (Hulk is 1/6/5, 2/7/7, and 3/8/8); you're paying one less fielding cost at level 3 and only giving up 1D. Just my input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soren Hedberg
Canada
Terrace
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mynameisthis wrote:
You can in fact need to add two more cards to your lineup. The basic actions don't count towards your 8.

Quote:
Page:25
Choose two different Basic Action cards.
Choose up to 8 cards. You can choose any mix of characters and actions (Except Basic actions)... However, you cannot choose more than one card with the same title on it...

Yeah, we're currently playing the 6 character - 15 life combo, until my friend can get some cash for more booster packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
If he's going the sidekick strategy, consider Captain America Star Spangled Avenger. That flat out KOs all opponents sidekicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dav Harnish
msg tools
I've faced a similar deck against one of my friends, and a strategy that has been working for me is to use Mr. Fantastic to force his Goblins and Captains to attack, and generally letting through to "depower" his sidekicks and countering with a Spidey to force his blockers and some heavy hitting.

The Mutate 666 Beast and 3-point Gambit are handy for generating extra power early and jumping to that hard hitter (I use Thor or Venom). The McRook Punisher (mentioned in another reply) and Sidekick-killing Captain are both viable, as well.

With your force beam and someone to force an attack with Globals keeps sidekicks low, and your beam can play cleanup. Your only issue is that your giving your opponent a hell of a lot of dice to come back at you. (Well, not *only* issue, but you get me)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.