Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mascarade is a fun light game which plays quickly and is highly enjoyable. However, we came across a bit of a snag:

It is possible to freeride the challenges. By this I mean that when players challenge somebody claiming to be the king, and thus have to reveal their cards, they pay a penalty but also gain information. If one player does not challenge & reveal, he pays no penalty but gains the same information.

We therefore plan to play with this houserule:
Only those who challenge get to see the revealed character cards.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emile de Maat
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved Thread
Moved this thread from the Rules forum to the Variants forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mills
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure about this house rule. In the game it's really up to the players to create confusion when too much knowledge about who has what.

If cards aren't revealed to everybody I'm guessing the game might take on more of a deduction aspect. You might be playing a significantly different game. If you try it let us know how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Cooley
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way the rules are written, the opportunity to challenge goes left around the table one time. So yes, if a early player challenges, the other players can sit back and wait to see who is right. They can also pass, and push that responsibility onto the next player, and the next player, etc. Once you pass, you can't change your mind later if everyone else decides to pass.

So passing is nearly as much a risk as challenging. The important thing to remember is it's not just everyone else who knows who the challenging cards are, but the people that hold those cards also now know who they are themselves. That piece of knowledge is often more important than knowing who someone else is, and I think that's all figured in as part of the 1 coin penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.