Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering how the card distribution is in this game, as it feels a bit heavily scripted as far as I understand it, but I am very aware that I my information is not complete.

As far as I understand it players draw 5(or perhaps only 4 now) cards pr year (except ´39), and then play 4 rounds with these cards. At the start of every year any year specific cards are added to the draw pile.

How many cards are generic and how many are year-specific (given the achieved stretch goal). As there are now 108 (I assume 54 per side) cards in the game this mean that not all cards will be drawn during a game (as each player will draw 2 card for 1939 and 5 each for 1940,41,42,43,44 and 45 = 32 cards).

Are the events evenly balanced in effect or is there a real chance of drawing a bad hand and thus being severely disadvantaged for a full year?

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The original concept was to add cards each year to one's draw pile and certain cards had year-specific events that when played were discarded. There was a small chance that late war players could draw a "bad" hand, but it didn't prove game breaking. About half of the cards were fairly generic.

The new concept with more cards calls for only drawing cards for a year from cards of that specific year, then moving to the next year. This allows more historical management of the available cards each year. For example, most years will have 8 cards and you will shuffle and draw 4 of them. There is less chance of pulling a really bad hand late war. So far this method works well and it may seem to script the game more, but in reality it only gives more realistic mixes of cards each year as the Allies learn how to wage modern war and build their logistics for sustainment, while the Axis are degraded after suffer losses and straining their logistics. The variety of cards is still great enough to offer lots of combinations and lots of replayability.

The core mechanics of the game do not script play and players have a lot of freedom to pursue plausible strategies. I hope this helps.

Thank you for the interest.

Ron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That clarifies a lot. Thank you.

I do have some follow up questions though:

1) I am still curious as to the power of the events as only a few ones have been revealed.
Are there any critical events that players REALLY hope to draw or are most cards more or less just as good within a year? (both in terms of number of combats allowed as well as the event text itself or perhaps the balance between the two).

What I am worried about (hopefully without reason :) ) is to see games where (for example) the Soviet are unable to make an effective winteroffensive in 1942 if they dont happen to draw the Operation Uranus card or the Allies dont draw the Operation Overlord card (if such a card exist) and therefore find it extremely tough to make any kind of landing in Europe in 1944.

2) How come only 4 cards are drawn? In most carddriven games you draw 1 card more than you play to give players a bit more choice of what to play and thus what to focus on.
(this is no criticism as it is certainly just as valid a design desicision NOT to give players the luxury of that choice)

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.