SwatSh
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Just reading the rules before my first play. I have a question about the cost to use a tile of another player.

I've taken a look at the tiles and am I correct if I write that all the costs to use a tile are in gold for all the tiles except one (1 black cube)?

If yes, is the gold not too much important? Do you have to always begin your actions by taking gold?

Thanks a lot for your answers,

Francois
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are mostly gold.
Off the top of my head, one of the Academys requires stone, which can be quite profitable.

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'is the gold not too much important'.

If you're relying on other people's buildings all the time you'll have to devote an experienced worker to collect gold most rounds and/or want to be making some big trips to the market to sell your other resources.
On the other hand if I've got a good income stream from my buildings all my workers are freed up to collect other resources, build things and visit temples.
One aspect of this game is building simple engines and the buildings you erect are very much part of that.

You pays your money (or not) and you takes your choice.

EDIT: No, you are not forced to collect gold but having it certainly makes life a lot easier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SwatSh
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you Daryl for your answer.

Than, if I understand well, the cost to use another player tile is drawed on the left of the icon of the tile and is almost always between 1 and 3 golds.

Am I right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. There's only a couple which cost other resources to use.
There is certainly the scope to mix this up a bit more in expansions.

From experience so far the Special Tiles (Grey backgrounds): Labour Camp and Academy can be real money spinners in larger games as they can be used once/round by every player rather than just once/round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SwatSh
Belgium
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ,thanks Daryl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Unwin
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played last night and, due to the tiles I had purchased and being overstaffed! I pretty much started every go with zero coins and had to send someone to the gold mine or the market straight away just to give me some flexibility.

Made for a tough game but edged through in the end with a good chunk of wall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.