Dungeon Dice» Forums » Variants

Subject: 2 players - no assisting, less running away. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Prestage
Australia
Victoria
flag msg tools
I’ve had Dungeon Dice for two weeks now. My wife and I really enjoy the game, but feel that assisting each other to fight doesn’t work well with only two players. However, if you don’t assist each other there is a lot of running away. To get around this we decided to:

Split the Monsters

We put all the weak monsters (those with a potion symbol, plus the goblin) into the green bag along with an unguarded treasure.

The rest go into the black bag along with the other unguarded treasure and the trap. (We throw in the pain spell too – as a magical trap.)

Each turn you choose which bag you want to draw a monster from. (If you are using a bow, both monsters have to come from the same bag.)

We haven’t used the familiars yet, but plan to put them in the green bag (with the weaker monsters).

This certainly reduced the running away problem, but left us with a lot of one-use items before we felt brave enough to tackle the black bag monsters, so then we decided to:

Hire some help

Once a player has killed a monster (gained experience level 1) they can hire a likely lad from the local village to be their sidekick.

The sidekick consists of a single hero level die and costs a single one-use die to hire.

You must supply the sidekick with one equipment die from your own supply. (He can only use one item at a time.) You can swap the sidekick’s equipment between combats.

The sidekick fights alongside a player’s hero, until they lose a combat. He then runs off screaming, taking the equipment he was using with him.

You are only allowed one sidekick at a time, but if he leaves you can hire another.

Once a player reaches experience level 6 they no longer needs a sidekick, so he leaves with an equipment die of the players choice.

For us, these changes really make the game shine for two players.

One other variation we like: Only trophies count for fame!

[Instead of using a hero level die, we are planning to make a custom die for the sidekick. It would be slightly weaker but have the scout ability on one face. We are also designing a mercenary to hire which will be stronger than a hero level die. The mercenary won’t use worn weapons, and has to be paid per combat.]

Update
We have now added the familiars. We wound up putting the dragon and fairy in the black bag, the others in the green bag.
To limit the power of the sidekick a little we have decided that he can't use a 2 handed weapon (in particular the bow).
We might exchange some of the monsters between the bags to adjust the balance too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher moeller
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the sidekick rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pax domina
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's a very clever way of working around the "flee-ing" stage of the game!

However, we play 2p all the time and like having to collaborate and negotiate a tempting deal to enlist the help of the other player. It really forces the use of creativity and diplomacy in striking a win-win deal while still being mindful of the overall WIN. This is a skillset that I want my daughter to develop and Dungeon Dice has become a most inventive training ground!

Furthermore, the free gift of mercy in healing your wounded competitor and in helping them to unlock artifacts by rolling your hammer or key equipment die at opportune times can really build goodwill in their support of your conquests at unexpectedly challenging times. Life Lessons abound in this subtle game! Maybe this game should be called Diplomacy Dice: Dungeon. What about a global politics re-theme? Hmmm...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chibi demon
msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't tried these but a thought I had was to add a difficult monster or two to the bag every time someone defeats an easy one.

Or maybe when both players (or any player) get their second hero dice add the equipment monsters. Then add the rest at 3 hero dice? That way the difficultly ramps up over time?

That could work for solo play as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued by the idea, but I think a single red die might be too cheap for the sidekick. He rolls a level die AND an equipment AND he sticks around until you lose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
A custom sidekick die/dice sounds like a potential add-on for the upcoming expansion KS or the custom die KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
custom die KS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/customgamelab/custom-ga...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.