Arthur
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got the deluxe edition of this game about a month ago. I had been a large fan of the original version, and I was happily anticipating the changes I could expect. The first thing I noticed, at the gaming store, was that te box had increased in size, compared to the revious version. It was also heavier, which probably lowered its portability factor.

Buying the game and bringing it home, I opened it up promptly. I checked out the new characters, but I was not paticularly impressed. The new characters were in some way lacking - although there were several good ones, they did not all have the imagination the original characters did.

I also noticed that the character cards slid out of the holders easier. They also feel over easier, as they had sacrificed width for height. I was not getting a good first impression of this game. I found little point in the small tokens for the characters - the rules said they were, when playing with a mix of new and old characters, made to tell your characters which combination you were using. This seems sort of pointless, and I don't think they were a good addition to the game.

The gameplay in the new pieces was not as well done as the last one, either. The characters seemed to act more as standalones than in the previous version. When before they had clashed with each other perfectly, almost every character having an enemy they were practically built to bring down (such as the Warg and Frodo, Saurman and everyone <4), these ones acted more as characters who were generally made to work in general. I was losing faith in this game quickly.

The price seemed a bit too high for the small amount of additions. If you already have the original Confrontation, I would not suggest buying this game, unless you are shivering in anticipation and were a huge fan, or you have a lot of money to spare. If you REALLY want this, buy it used, or wait for a bit until the price drops. It's not worth it new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shoda
Japan
Zushi
Kanagawa
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I liked the original characters better. Also card quality is lower in deluxe edition and box is too big with meaningless air spaces.
I almost think that deluxe edition is the ordinal and original is more deluxe. Sperior in many ways i.e. only interesting character are there, piece doesn't fall easily, compact and portable, better card quality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Devin Nordberg
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
The deluxe game is a very different game than the original, but I think it is of equally high quality. Some variant versions are demotions, while others are promotions, and completely new synergies and matchups result.

I think you will appreciate it if you consider it to be a different game.

P.S. Interestingly, every single time I play the variant game, Treebeard and The Watcher fight in Fangorn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fxer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I could buy the regular edition for $20, and the deluxe for $30, which would be the recommended purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the original game and was very happy with it. Then two weeks ago I played the deluxe edition and felt that my game was missing something. I would definitely recommend going with the deluxe edition. For a little bit extra you get a whole lot more depth to the game. You can still play the original version, but you also get the option, if you want, to play the variant, or the 'draft variant' which is a combination of the two. I feel that the deluxe variant adds a lot more depth in terms of opportunities to play to an already great game. If I could pay the extra to trade in my original for a deluxe, I would do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.