Subject: New Secret Objective: Isolationist rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a PDS unit and at least 2 GF on 6 different planets outside my Home System.

This is an easier version from the original (from user Mike Evans from the wiki forums), that also required that one of the planets was Mecatol Rex.

Getting 6 planets is not a feat. The difficulty comes from the logistics. You have to move Carriers around to get those PDS units distributed.

What do you think? Too easy? Too difficult?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
Too easy methinks, mostly because it is a natural sort of growth, so it's hard to identify by the other players. And if they do ID it they likely cannot stop it since it's rather broad.

IMHO
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Gylthinel wrote:
Too easy methinks, mostly because it is a natural sort of growth

I don't think so. The natural layout for PDS is - well, none at all, if one isn't going for PDS techs, but failing that, two to a planet in positions where Deep Space Cannon mean all six PDS can fire at an assault on any one. A lone PDS is a joke, a white elephant that might cost the opponent a fighter or a GF; so one to a planet willy-nilly looks very odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
damerell wrote:
Gylthinel wrote:
Too easy methinks, mostly because it is a natural sort of growth

I don't think so. The natural layout for PDS is - well, none at all, if one isn't going for PDS techs, but failing that, two to a planet in positions where Deep Space Cannon mean all six PDS can fire at an assault on any one. A lone PDS is a joke, a white elephant that might cost the opponent a fighter or a GF; so one to a planet willy-nilly looks very odd.

Seems about right.

Most of the game I have played in the majority of double PDs go on home planets then MR or an Artifact Planet. To see 1 on a lone planet and then 6 different planets would look out of the ordinary and easy to stop.
Just take out the ones that are not on Space Dock planets and that adds a turn or two to getting them back and you can watch for it at that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
mb
You can still keep your PDS clumped. You don't have to split them up. In fact splitting them up would possibly tip your hat.

Most players will get DSC, which is the only tech you need to make an effective PDS screen. Take DSC and reinforce your planets with decent armies, that is a smart move for all players, not just ones with this objective.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gagner
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group suggests spreading them out as much as possible between planets to avoid losing two at once to the action card. I would add in a condition about needing three or more systems as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Harrop
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered the Preliminary Objective version of this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bob mackenzie
msg tools
on reading this i thought u were developing a prelim. too easy for secret objective. would be interesting as a prelim though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was "too easy" but now I don't think so. Carriers are always in short supply...if it is a bit to easy, you could ramp it up by requiring 1 PDS & 4 GF.

I think it would work. Give it a try........and let us know!

And I think most players would be able to recognize 1 PDS & 2 GF scattered around the board as this SO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Gylthinel wrote:
You can still keep your PDS clumped. You don't have to split them up. In fact splitting them up would possibly tip your hat.

Maybe you can and maybe you can't. You can't place 2 per planet, which you might do normally to reduce the number of ground forces necessary to protect them (and to compress them into fewer systems, reducing the fleets necessary to protect them); and you have no guarantee of having 6 planets in your empire all of which are within 1 hex of each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
"...that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the the field of battle - victorious."
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone, for your feedback. It seems that there is no consensus on whether this is too easy or not. Only playtests will show! Well, with my current rate of playing, that will take 1-2 years I'll let you know how it turned out.

Our group doesn't play with the Preliminaries, so I can't comment on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Pratt
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of mixed on this. It would really come down to the board layout on how easy this is. A preponderance of nearby double/triple systems might make this one too easy and a lack of nearby planets would make it nearly impossible. Make sure you test it out with both scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Magesmiley wrote:
I'm kind of mixed on this. It would really come down to the board layout on how easy this is. A preponderance of nearby double/triple systems might make this one too easy and a lack of nearby planets would make it nearly impossible. Make sure you test it out with both scenarios.

You're right, but the difficulty of practically all of the Secret Objectives vary depending on the game. Planet/System distribution affects Focused, Technocrat and Keeper of the Gates, while the Mecatol objectives vary depending on whether someone else has a Mecatol SO.

I guess my take is that if it can be easy or difficult about half the time, it is exactly the right difficulty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Octopus
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played yesterday for the first time with this Secret Objective, and it worked like a charm. The objective is very expensive and takes a long time, but it was scored in the end, and the player almost won in the end. At this early time, it seems balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.