Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all, I still do not own the product but I'm wondering: what if the dice faces are made so that a well talented dishonest player could "choose" dice while drawing from the bag?

I ask this because apparently is the first question people ask me when I introduce the game as an alternative to Magic, with a possible "professional" scene emerging as well. At least professional in the sense that the store gives price. And when there are price, some people would do everything cheap and easy to win...

Dice-shakers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Vanadio wrote:
Hi all, I still do not own the product but I'm wondering: what if the dice faces are made so that a well talented dishonest player could "choose" dice while drawing from the bag?

I ask this because apparently is the first question people ask me when I introduce the game as an alternative to Magic, with a possible "professional" scene emerging as well. At least professional in the sense that the store gives price. And when there are price, some people would do everything cheap and easy to win...

Dice-shakers?

I look at it this way, it only takes a certain amount of time to draw four dice. If someone is going to cheat by "feeling" for the dice they want, it's going to take them longer than average and it will be obvious.

That being said, I don't think we're going to see a lot (any?) cheating going on in this game. There are, of course, always going to be exceptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Huerta
United States
Plymouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you can house rule it so that your opponent draws the 4 out of your bag...Akin to cutting your opponents deck, then you have the reverse issue of the "cheater" pulling bad dice, but it's likely they don't practice that...

Or you could have them pour out 4 die in their hand from the bag and if they get 5 or more dice they must return them to the bag with a shake and re draw!!!

I hear you about the cheating, but these would be 2 ideas I would consider.

I'd be more worried about a person sewing a secret compartment in their dice bag and hiding a Mjolnir or a Wolverine in it and pulling it at the right time! Checking your opponents dice bag would be more like cutting the deck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Schmidt
England
Harrogate
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret compartment would be pretty ballsy because eventually someone is going to call you on it. I think the problem of feeling dice can be solved by drawing dice with a gloved hand. I think dice gloves could be pretty rad and a necessity for tournament play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Erb
United States
Wauwatosa
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would be concerned more with someone drawing out 3 dice, not being satisfied with them, and then drawing out 2 dice. whoops, too many, need to put them all back and start over.

watch out for that practice and if someone abuses that notify the TO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Sugiyama
United States
Altamonte Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been drawing dice one at a time to counter this fear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dice Gloves: not a bad idea...

Dice-shaker are cumbersome, and the idea of having a "power glove" with some cool arts could be attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Griffin
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think nitril/vinyl disposable gloves would settle this cheaply. At worst maybe some cheap cotton gloves like the kind used for handling very old photos/documents. Either option could be had for cents/pair. But I think earlier posters are correct that searching out that kind of detail in a dice bag would take a noticeable amount of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranger Rob
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Keeper of the *** Marvel Master Database *** A custom card directory for Marvel Legendary.
badge
Find the Marvel Master Database in the Variants section of the Marvel Legendary Forums.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of some sort of clear funnel /plastic tube that only would hold 4 dice.
Shake and pour your dicebag into the funnel.
Use the first 4 dice that slide into the tube, return rest to the bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
make sure they use the clear dice sleeves and they wont be able to feel through them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Johnson
United States
Dunlap
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Starsplice wrote:
We have been drawing dice one at a time to counter this fear.

Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tosch
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I wouldn't do tournaments if I had to wear gloves... yik gulp

If someone pulled 3, then 2, I would make them put the 2 back and draw 1. And as other pointed out, you can tell when someone is feeling for something.

I have a game (Myth) with a bag full of metal treasure coins (really tiny, much samller than a dime). I had one guy pull one the best ones and then I watched him. It was painfully obvious he was grabing one and feeling it, then grabing another. So I made him redraw correctly and it was much faster.

If people try to cheat at a tournament and I'm playing them or even watching them, I'm going to call them out on it. I can't stand cheaters. I used to run an airsoft group and when we caught a cheater he had to face a firing squad (5 shots, in the back, at 10 paces). If he refused or did it a second time, he was banished permently. We only had 1 issue. Hopefully stores will have a similar policy (I would love to chuck a die at a cheater...), but if the store won't take care of it, I will stop buying my MDM or playing there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mansell
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
oneone78 wrote:
i would be concerned more with someone drawing out 3 dice, not being satisfied with them, and then drawing out 2 dice. whoops, too many, need to put them all back and start over.

watch out for that practice and if someone abuses that notify the TO.

I would rule they only replace the two they drew and redraw one; they are still stuck with the three the already drew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see better "if you don't draw perfectly 4, put all back in and redraw".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Stewart
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could find an opaque one of these that could hold dice, you'd be ready to go:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
Vanadio wrote:

Dice-shakers?

Play with better quality people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rodger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cscottk wrote:

Talking about this with a friend he said he was playing Quarriers with a fellow who was convinced he could learn to pull the dice he wanted from the bag by feel. So my friend said, "go ahead."

In this case, the opponent couldn't. The friend said the worse part was it just slowed everything down. I wouldn't over worry about it, but if someone seems to be, just say "hurry up," and blame time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
cscottk wrote:
Vanadio wrote:

Dice-shakers?

You don't pick your opponents at tournaments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdly, I was thinking of the same thing today, I just ordered the base set,$31.00shake and the idea of someone feeling up the dice crossed my mind.

I have a Q, Would it be more frugal to buy the c/u sets from the bay and then fill out the rares/super rares or should I just get a gravity feed pack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Cody
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
Weirdly, I was thinking of the same thing today, I just ordered the base set,$31.00shake and the idea of someone feeling up the dice crossed my mind.

I have a Q, Would it be more frugal to buy the c/u sets from the bay and then fill out the rares/super rares or should I just get a gravity feed pack?

you could buy the c/u but I would absolutely wait to buy the overpriced rares and super rares for a while. The prices are outrageous, so you are probably better off buying 2 gravity feeds and trading for the r/sr, than buying the r/sr right now. I think, in a month or 2 the prices should fall just like M:tG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Malone
United States
Alpharetta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be less worried about people conspicuously feeling for the dice than simply palming dice during the clear and draw stage.

That being said, every game can be cheated in some way or other and it's up to others to find those they trust playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mb
MattShinners wrote:
cscottk wrote:
Vanadio wrote:

Dice-shakers?

You don't pick your opponents at tournaments.

If they are cheating, report them. It will take a while to "feel up" a die, or just don't go to tournaments--I expect this game will fall apart due to the rarity issue at tournaments anyways (hope not), but based on the distribution of my one booster box, I have fears. There is something to be said about more pricey boosters with guaranteed rares per pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah cheating....

It says so much about a persons personality if you cheat. It really does.

I mean yeah you won, but you know you didn't actually won. You know you are a cheating rat bastard.

Cheaters fail so hard at life that they feel it necessary to cheat? Man... It is just a game at the end of the day...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panda Bear
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
I love CCGs/LCGs/Dice Games
badge
Everyday I'm Shufflin
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately after years of watching MTG tournaments, cheating is inevitable. In a casual sense if someone is cheating, for shame...find better folks. In a tournament sense they need to seriously consider enforcing dice towers and some type of mechanism for folks good at slight of hand / palming dice / reading dice like braille.

While it is of course silly to think of requiring such things in private playing, the implications when rewards (money, exclusive swag, etc) are involved...folks quickly find any and all ways to work the system to their advantage.

Off the top of my head, setting a fast timer to grab dice and a 1 at a time rule seems to be viable to counter it - albeit a very basic way of doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiziano Contorno
Italy
Rome
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not a matter of finding honest players, it's about wondering how much this system is safe against cheaters and what can be done, if needed, to improve "cheat-protection". As already stated, when prices and money come in cheaters arise. Obviously we are not talking about our beloved game fellows.

Let's imagine a glorious future for this game, with a Pro Tour a la MTG: do you see the finalists drawing dice from a bag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.