Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had to pick between the new SPQR reprint or both these two card driven wargames, which should I get? I want all three, but can really afford none. I might be able to spend about $80.

On one hand, I've had my eye on FtP and BtB for a looong time... and I really love Paths of Glory. (so does my wife!)

On the other hand, most people have nothing but good things to say about SPQR, and the new reprint looks great! Plus the seemingly good solitare play also makes it attractive.

Which to get?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Deluxe SPQR -or- For the People & WWII: Barbarossa to Be
For The People and B2B are both coming out this month while SPQR doesn't have a release date yet. It likely won't be released until the end of the year or more likely early 2007. So go ahead and Pick up For The People and B2B. You can preorder Deluxe SPQR from the P500 list to lock in the good price and you won't be charged for it until it comes out sometime down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
What Brian said.

Also, you might want to keep your eye on Shifting Sands by MMP. It covers the WWII North African campaign and uses the Paths of Glory system. It is just now hitting the streets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ibemichael wrote:
I really love Paths of Glory. (so does my wife!)

Ok--get the game that you can play with your wife. Doesn't seem like a difficult choice to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One option would be to preorder SPQR and also select one of the card driven cards (For the People or Barbarossa). It would seem nice to have a choice that's similar to Paths of Glory that covers a different period AND to have a tactical battle game that's a different beast altogether.

Unfortunately this would put things over the $80 threshold somewhat (but would be cheaper than buying all three).

Also GMT has had (at least for the past few years) excellent end of the year sales for those who've purchased on the P500 program during the previous year. You might be able to pick up one or more of the games you're interested for half price in December if your preorder charges before the end of the year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. B @ Rockin' B
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto, on Brian's comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I'll go with that if I decide I can afford any at all right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Rosenthal
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Brian,

This may be slightly off topic, but I actually just pre-ordered For the People II last month. I notice now that it's in the "charging" column on the P500 page. Do you know if we can expect to be charged and then have the game immediately sent, or is this like a normal P500 item where we will be charged, and then it will be printed?

Also, perhaps I shouldn't be assuming that you have a great depth of knowledge of the inner workings of GMT, but that's what you get for doing a public service in creating the P500 geeklist every month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that For The People will be shipping rather soon after being charged and to expect it sometime in mid July.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hung
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check GMT website for release info.

In general, GMT charges me the month before shippment is going out. This gives me one month to recover from all the beatings from my wife about buying another game.blush

Deluxe SPQR is definitely worth it but hard to choose betwee FtP and BtB. I choose BtB in my case since I'm more interested in WWII.

They seem to be cranking out the games at a faster rate, especially the reprints since those involved only rules clean up and may be slight tweak of the artworks.

I receive the shippment fairly fast since I'm in CA.

--andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.