Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
It is crucial to understand the many different ways the game can be played, and because of that, I feel the need to prepare new players to the game. This guide will go through some of the concepts that will help you in getting the most out of your gaming experience.

Short / long playing time
The session can last from 30mins to 6hours.
Based on the chosen scenario, and additionally, through selecting only the specific chapters, players can choose for themselves how long they want to keep surviving the game (or even win the game if they are good).

While learning the game, it is advisable to choose the shorter sessions. For example, playing only Scenario 1 (chapter 1, 2, and 4), or playing complete Exclusive scenario (Kickstarter backers).

Even though my gaming group is experienced with the game, for casual sessions we’ve found that sessions under 90mins work great. Of course, there is nothing like having an epic adventure, lasting for hours, but in the end, the choice is yours.

Simple / complex mode
There are some mechanism in the game that are solved by using tokens. Suppose the explorer used an item with which he gained control of the monster. To play by the book, the explorer should take one available explorer marker and place it on top of monster card. That explorer marker helps to keep track of the effects, and provides a tactical layer of managing the explorer markers (only 3 per explorer).

Is this crucial? No. Most of the time player remembers those effects, and the lasting effects always last one round. This is the reason why the simple mode (as explained in the manual) does not talk about explorer tokens. But that comes with a price. Without explorer tokens you can't drop your items on the ground, and that reduces a lot of tactical maneuvers, and the efficiency of some items.

The similar concept is with the Howling mountain tile, and more specifically monster and horror rating sliders. Every playable chapter has monster and horror rating. The rate (chance) of spawning monsters, and resolving horror events. These values are checked after a 10-sided die roll. We all know that dice rolling is unpredictable, and to minimize the impact of luck, the game provides you with two rating tokens, and horror and monster rating sliders. You can ignore them, but I personally find playing the game that way more ‘tight’ and rewarding.

In the end, for someone the main thing will be to minimize the number of hand movements and clean-up, and others want a more tactical and precise approach. There is no wrong way of playing, as long as you are having fun.

Changing difficulty
With rolling a game die, you treat 0 as 10, but if you want an easier game (10% easier), you can treat 0 as a 0.

Variants
Besides the three game variants described in the manual, players are encouraged to experiment with in-house rulings or by only playing endgames. Considering that endgames are mini-games by themselves, prepare the explorers (let them gain a treasure few times), set monster level / monster threat / item level, and try to survive.

Every scenario comes with its own explorer and horror events. Normally you play with only the base events, and add the corresponding scenario events, but nothing prevents you to play by preparing the event decks in the way you find most interesting. You can even construct your own scenario from different chapters of different scenarios. The final form of creativity would be to create a complete scenario and its events by yourself, but that should be covered in a special guide for another time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this quick guide Juraj!

I can't wait to get this game on the table and drool all over the place! I even think i'll proxy the monsters with the ones I have painted from my Mansions of Madness collection! Will look sick when we play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Sounds like a plan David, be sure to drop us a few pictures when that time arrives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Korhil Athorn
msg tools
Hi guys,

Hope this isnt completely out of line, havent posted on this site before.

Kinda related question.

Is there a General Public release date yet? I'm really interested in this game for my gaming group but missed the kickstarter. Is there going to be a way to buy the full thing from the website? Don't mind having to pay for international shipping etc.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juraj Bilic
Croatia
Varazdin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi Korhil, thanks for getting in touch!
Currently we only offer digital content through our online store. For retail boxes, I am planning to make them available in October (just before Essen Spiel 2014).
To stay informed, check periodically our web, or engage more actively through social networks (BGG, Facebook, Twitter, newsletter through our web).
In the mean time, if you have any questions, I would be more than happy to assist you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.