Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Anyone watching Turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
howdy fellow TV watchers. I'm curious as to who where has been watching the new AMC show Turn? what are your thoughts of it? Even though its not completely accurate I curious what everyone thinks?

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
What with the NHL playoffs & Cosmos & Mad Men all cramming Sunday nights full of TV viewing I have yet to watch. But at some point in the future I plan on binge-watching the whole first season.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been watching it. So far I "think" I like it. The story is a good one, but I am having a hard time keeping focus watching it. It's missing something that I hope finds it's stride soon.

And this is from someone who loves shows like Deadwood, Hell on Wheels, Rome, etc.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not expert when it comes to filography, but it does seem to have a good flow to it and not overly "modern" at least in my opinion.

In the beginning I wasn't overly impressed because there was a lot of introductions going on and it was all done quickly but the pilot smoothed out and i'm enjoying it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Froggy McFrogface
United States
FORT COLLINS
CO
flag msg tools
badge
When green is all there is to be, it could make you wonder why. But why wonder? I'm green, and it'll do fine: it's beautiful, and I think it's what I want to be.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
What with the NHL playoffs & Cosmos & Mad Men all cramming Sunday nights full of TV viewing I have yet to watch. But at some point in the future I plan on binge-watching the whole first season.



This. I've seen bits of it. Very happy to see 'Billy Elliot' return to film!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
we were watching it but I think we are gonna stop now. maybe if there was a little less talk and more action and fewer characters ??????

I can certainly see its appeal and don't regret trying to keep up with it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Yeah! and the SAME person as what 'Muscleman' would proudly proclaim for our viewer with: "MY Mom!"
whistle~"true story!"
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Watching it, not enjoying it much. Wildly inaccurate historically, stereotypical foppish/effeminate British characters, and lots of anachronisms - including the opening line in the series: "How ya doin'?"

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 Lucky Texan
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Watching it, not enjoying it much. Wildly inaccurate historically, stereotypical foppish/effeminate British characters, and lots of anachronisms - including the opening line in the series: "How ya doin'?"




while I can't recall the specific line, I turned to my wife during a recent episode and said; "they would never have expressed that in those words" (or similar remark)

I'm quite good at suspending disbelief - just, I dunno, the overall feeling/direction is losing me. Like LOST did in the middle seasons. I may be jaded, or just too lazy/stupid to keep up with all the plotlines and characters. It seems like the creators feel quantity can substitute for quality. It is better than a lot that's available to watch, maybe just not quite to my taste.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
Avatar
mb
zuludawn wrote:
Wildly inaccurate historically,
Then we get into the "Modern TV is not the least bit interested in getting history right down to the buttons on the jackets, so be happy you have any historical drama at all on television," discussion.

zuludawn wrote:
stereotypical foppish/effeminate British characters
Wait, wait, wait... British people are not foppish and effeminate?!?
My worldview is now shattered.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
zuludawn wrote:
stereotypical foppish/effeminate British characters


Wait, wait, wait... British people are not foppish and effeminate?!? My worldview is now shattered.


You're from Pittsburgh. You don't have a worldview. laugh

I think that as of episode six, Turn has already jumped the shark. Why, you ask?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A group of British officers enjoying a formal dinner. One officer mispronounces the Latin motto of his regiment. The officer sitting next to him immediately and without hesitation drives a dinner knife into his throat. Because, you know, he mispronounced the motto. So he must be a spy. And we wouldn't want to question him or anything. Discover his contacts, who he works for, what intelligence has been compromised. Nah... not when we can shock the audience and enjoy a nice spray of arterial blood over our host's white tablecloth. That's sooo much more visually satisfying. Logic and common sense be damned!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
zuludawn wrote:
stereotypical foppish/effeminate British characters


Wait, wait, wait... British people are not foppish and effeminate?!? My worldview is now shattered.


You're from Pittsburgh. You don't have a worldview. laugh

I think that as of episode six, Turn has already jumped the shark. Why, you ask?

Spoiler (click to reveal)
A group of British officers enjoying a formal dinner. One officer mispronounces the Latin motto of his regiment. The officer sitting next to him immediately and without hesitation drives a dinner knife into his throat. Because, you know, he mispronounced the motto. So he must be a spy. And we wouldn't want to question him or anything. Discover his contacts, who he works for, what intelligence has been compromised. Nah... not when we can shock the audience and enjoy a nice spray of arterial blood over our host's white tablecloth. That's sooo much more visually satisfying. Logic and common sense be damned!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
actually i think that was the point to it. considering who had done the stabbing. Simko isn't all there IMO and isn't overly rational or tactical. Hence why he was reprimanded by the general immediatly.


2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Quote:
Simko isn't all there IMO


You do realize that this character is an actual historical figure - Upper Canada's first Lieutenant Governor and not, as far as history records, a psychotic serial killer?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zuludawn wrote:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Quote:
Simko isn't all there IMO


You do realize that this character is an actual historical figure - Upper Canada's first Lieutenant Governor and not, as far as history records, a psychotic serial killer?


I do know that he's based off an actual person in histroy though i hadn't studied him in depth (perhaps today topic of research). But there are plenty of things to look at considering history is often presented often with bias to who's writing it. Also though consider that there are plenty of artistic liberties taken with this show.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.