Hide
8 Posts

EuroFront II» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Apan Arne
msg tools
Preparing for first 1939 - 1945 campaign.

1. Alliance reactions upon DoW - what table are you supposed to look at, the axis or the allied/sov one? For example when Axis DoWs Yugoslavia - which table?

2. Satellite Release DE - can this only happen if the countries are satellites? Say Hungary joined axis as a alliance reaction to DoW upon Yugoslavia, are hungary units (now Co-beliggerents) free to roam but if not, can they be released with this DE?

3. Looking at the DE's, norway/denmark seems super-important production-wise with DE's such as AB, EB, TB, SC/SW - and they all stack together?
What is the "fortress narvik" tactic and what is a good axis counter, since norway seems so important?

4. Should axis garrison denmark heavily? If allies takes denmark, dosn't that cut rail/sea supply to norway?

5. In the production sheet, June '40 records +10 EF PP for axis. How is this, since the EF hasn't been opened? You cant allocate to a front untill it opens right? Likewise, in the axis MF for each season break, it records +5 PP. Why is this?

6. Say if the turn order is Allied - Axis - Soviets. If Soviets puts an axis unit OOS, that unit takes a step loss. At the end of the next Allied turn, does that make the same unit take ANOTHER step loss aswell? Meaning there can be two attritions to axis units before they can react?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. AR's are the same on both pages.
2. You are partly correct; but if Hungary AR's in, it is an Interventionist and its units can visit the next country. See 16.3.
3. The various DE's are additive, and can be severe. F-Narvik is a strong defense that might include a backup unit in Tromso, maybe also the Allies paying extra to build in an Area. Narvik was more important until the Northern Seaway was shortened. Check your rules version; page 8, on the sidebar, should redefine the N-Seaway to exclude the Nordkapp.
4. Denmark is hard to counter-invade by the Allies after they lose Naval Supremacy. I usually use a static in Denmark, and another in the north German port.
5. It is possible for the EF to open at any time. The Germans could invade the Sov in Oct39. Sov could roll SM. Few do either, so it's quite rare.
6. No, a unit only loses one supply step per fortnight. See the page 27 sidebar.

Have fun! That's my favorite scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
1- Usually the table is rather clear in terms of reaction, and that Allies declare war on a minor is something that I doubt I've ever seen.

2- If Hungary joined after a reaction roll to DoW, Hungarian units are already free to roam as they desire, even if they get crushed and are rebuilt.

3- For Germany is pratically a must to seize Norway. All the rest is corollary. UK here can decide to pump an amount of units in Narvik and resist as long as they may to deny 5 PPs (Swedish Ore Route) to Germans. Til not long ago to hold Narvik was also giving to the Brits naval supremacy - on top of having the Germans pay a truckload of PPs to conquest it (a far too high amount in my eyes, so that the strategy is still extremely strong in my eyes).

4- You only need to keep a garrison in Copenhagen for most of the game, but make when the Allies have SHAEF to keep 1 unit in Amburg too or they can invade and paradrop and ZOC into Hamburg. Then they ship in units like crazy in Germany fatherland.

5- I do not remember of that detail. Could be some error, rectified in an errata?

6- That is specificed and Axis units do not suffer double attrition. Here I tend to simplify the thing and simply check which nation has placed a unit out of supply and "subtract" the step when that nation has its own supply check phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darn Pete answered meanwhile I was typing.
He's usually far more enlightened than me, especially as I undusted the game just the last week for some PBEM game with my old buddy who migrated far too away to meet face to face as we did in the golden times!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Russo
Italy
Pomigliano D'Arco - Napoli
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, golden times ...
:-(

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apan Arne
msg tools
Reading russian rules regarding SA/SB, I find this rather confusing:

Quote:
Reserved 100+ PPs during the
preceding Production (OK to Spend
some PPs to build cadres/HQs etc).

Afaik, you can either save ALL pp OR spend it. So what does this wording imply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Menconi
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest rule for SA prerequisite says:
"SOVIETS belligerent. All Soviet units in play on-map, all HQs at full strength], and 100+ PPs Reserved that Production." (Note the HQ requirement is a change.)
If you meet that requirement, then this happens:
"Reduce Soviet Reserved PPs to 0. (SA-SB sequence may be repeated once, with Armor units updgraded the 2nd time -- see below)." And: "1st Buildup: Shock fires TF/DF & Mech fires DF/DF. 2nd Buildup: Armor fires TF/DF.]"
You know, I won't pretend expertise with SA/SB because I've never gotten to that stage of a game (I always lose before that!). However, as the Sov, if prior to production you already have all your units on the map (not necessarily at full strength), AND all the Sov HQ are already at full strength, AND your saved-plus-current-production totals at least 100, then (the first time, SA) you get the Shock unit and Mech unit upgraded combat values (TF/DF, DF/DF). You lose the whole saved production. Then, if you can repeat that (all units on map, HQ at full, 100PP) a second time, the Sov armor fires TF/DF, and you again zero the 100+ PP. It is pretty impressive. I assume! I'd hate to be playing Axis at that point.

Thanks to you for the question. Oh, goody, I found a couple of typos! I'm a lousy player, but I help with finding typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Russo
Italy
Pomigliano D'Arco - Napoli
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Example given:

The Soviet has a production of 86PP.
In January he decides to store them all aside. He has 2 infantries in the dead pool and he misses a step in 2 HQs to have them all up to the maximum strength.
In that month he does stuff and the Axis player pushes to thwart the evil steamroller plan.
At the end of January the situation is: 4 infantries + 2 armor in the dead pool + 4 HQs missing a step.
So in the February production he has 86 PPs stored from January plus 86 PPs from the current month for a gran total of 172 PPs.
He reserve 100 of them for the upcoming diplomatic phase and spend the rest. He produces 4 HQ steps (40), 4 infantries cadre (16) and 2 armor cadre (16), spending the 72 PPs left.
Then in the diplomatic phase he achieves SA.

According to the 1.15 rules (soon to be changed), in March diplomatic phase he may roll for SB (1-3). In case he misses, he may repeat the SB roll in April. And so on, until he has success.
His shock troops and mechs are thus enhanced.

If he wants the second upgrade (tanks), he needs to do it all over again (store, reserve, get SA, roll for SB).

In the future (1.16) SB will be rollable starting from the following season (but I don't agree with this change).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.