United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I get people's ideas for BGG's best reviewer for a new game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
“I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it.” ― Terry Pratchett
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
Can I get people's ideas for BGG's best reviewer for a new game?

That's a little like asking, "What's the best food to eat?" I'd suggest perusing the hot and active written and video reviews and seeing whose tastes seem similar to yours.

Alternatively, you could read the positive and negative reviews of games you know you love or hate and from that deduce which reviewers have similar tastes to your own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorites are, in this order:
1) Miami Dice
2) Tom Vasel
3) Game Boy Geek
4) Starlit Citadel
5) Ryan Metzler

I find UndeadViking and Rahdo to be too long for my pathetic attention span, and Joel Eddy seems too.. lifeless, would probably be the word. I haven't watched much of him, but I don't feel any enthusiasm about games coming from him, the way I do from the above five.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Tom Vasel, Rahdo, UndeadViking, Joel Eddy and, for wargames, Marco Arnaudo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Perhaps BGG needs a new section for reviews of reviewers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Belt
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Shut Up & Sit Down - they rock
2. Rahdo
3. Tom Vasel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Garza
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like tbe game boy geek! He is the best for me, quality videos. Also, Tom Vasel knows a LOT about board games so He is also great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that while everyone has individual preferences and will gravitate toward one particular style -- long, quick, rules overview, component review -- I think that most all "reviewers" are just glorified sales people. For the most part they receive the games, play it once or twice, and then throw out some glib comments. There is rarely an objective look at the game and meaningful critic of it. The best critical reviewer in my option was doubtofbuddha. I don't believe he maintains his blog or reviews games any longer, but he was the best at really giving an honest critical review of a game. I also tend to like the Opinionated Gamers website. There is a great group of reviewers there from a broad spectrum. Even after a main review, they get disparate views from other people to give a well rounded approach. If I want to learn a game, then radho is currently one of the best whereas drakkenstrike use to make awesome component and brief rules overview without interjecting too much review. The Dice Tower is my least favorite. The format is dull, Tom and his gang rarely critic a game, and it feels more like an advertisement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
For currently active video reviewers, Tom Vasel, Joel Eddy, Marco Arnaudo, and the Shut Up and Sit Down team. Nick from Board Game Brawl is growing on me. Everyone else just feels like they're trying to sell me games. No thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
To help you in your research for the best I have included a link below. I stumbled across this list on bgg and book marked it.

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/152997/top-ten-of-written-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Me. Cause no one know how I like it better than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Rice
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Blah Blah Blah
badge
I didn't know what else to do with the GG
mbmbmbmbmb
"...the most important person in the whole wide world is you and you hardly even know you.."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Watch it Played series. However, this series is more for seeing how a game plays than just a straight review. But I find them helpful if I'm on the fence for a game based on it's other video reviews. (I usually watch the Dice Tower reviewers)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rahdo, easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Campbell
Wales
Llantwit Major
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a written review you can't go wrong with...

Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
Toombs wrote:
the best reviewer is the one who likes whatever games you also like.

This is why I love Rhado so much. I can tell if he's excited about a game that I'm generally going to like it.

I also like the way he presents his reviews as a play through. And I appreciate the way that he is willing to be a bit critical at times. I like Drive Through Reviews for that reason as well (though I don't often agree with him, I respect his opinion).

I also don't often agree with Calendale, but I love his videos, and he's introduced me to a number of games I wouldn't have otherwise tried (we go for different things in games, I like puzzly, he likes more simulationy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S J
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna give another shout-out to Paul and Quinns at Shut Up and Sit Down. They're growing in popularity, but I really think they're still the best-kept secret of the board gaming world right now. They're funny, insightful, creative, and probably the only reviewers I know of that manage to avoid the "filmed in my garage" feel that most reviewers have as their motif these days. Their recent review of Arctic Scavengers was phenomenal, both as a review and as a piece of entertainment. You should check em out.

http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Cramer
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite reviewer is

Daniel Thurot
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out his blog at http://thurot.com/

Hilarious and a great writer. Definitely check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rahdo and Dan King (GameBoyGeek), not only because they have the same taste in games, but also because how relaxed their presentations are. Tom Vasel is a good reviewer, but he's sometimes more hyped up than I can bear :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting that most people have named video reviewers. I find it much quicker to scan a few written reviews, especially those with good use of images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Bird
United Kingdom
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Personally, I don't find that Tom Vassel's approach enthuses me much. I too like the Gameboy Geek, but somewhat curiously for some, I would guess, I really rate Adam78's (Adam on the Geek) reviews; both his written ones and those filmed. Although hardly laconic, I really appreciate his eloquent insights, not to mention his almost 'world-weary' style!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are awesome. Rahdo and Vasel seemed to be the big numbers. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joeyman3 wrote:
You guys are awesome. Rahdo and Vasel seemed to be the big numbers. Thanks!

Counter points, Tom's love of dice can get the best of him. Richard tends to only really like low combative 2-player games since he vastly only plays with his wife which limits the games he reviews although he does seem to breaking out of that more. Any reviewer is going to have pros and cons. You just need to know what those are going in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
My question when looking at a game review is "how many times did they actually play it?"

Reviewing most games after only one or two plays is like writing a movie review after watching the trailer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Youtube has a feature that allows you to play videos at a faster speed. I used to barely be able to sit through 90 seconds of a video. Now I'm watching rahdo videos by the truckload. I find 1.5x to be perfect, at 2x some words get lost. This is not a criticism of any reviewers..... even my own videos I find go too slow! Anyhow, look into it, fellow BGGers, it's a great feature.

I've found a few amazing reviewers who unfortunately haven't put out a lot of videos. This 1.5x speed thing has opened me up to watching many more video reviews lately, so I may have some new favorites.

d10-1Ricky Royal is my number 1. Even without the speeding up, I was hooked on his videos and love watching him playthrough a game. Usually, I get a very accurate picture of how the game plays, whether he likes it or not (Gears of War I was way off about. I love it and didn't think I would).

d10-2Shut Up & Sit Down are my number 2, ever since I found their Resistance review 2 years ago. I could watch their old 30 minute episodes. They didn't explain how to play a game, they just excitedly explained why a game is fun.... and shouldn't that be what anyone would get out of a video?

d10-3 is Starlit Citadel. While their modus operandi isn't too different from the usual run of the mill (rules overview, thoughts at the end, etc), they have one unique feature that makes them stand out..... their videos are usually around 5 minutes long. They get it, these overviews can be quite tedious (especially for squirrels like me who are constantly researching games and rarely finding anything worth getting excited about) so they make it viewer-centric.

HiveGod wrote:
My question when looking at a game review is "how many times did they actually play it?"

Reviewing most games after only one or two plays is like writing a movie review after watching the trailer.

Miami Dice's Clash of Cultures review being a prime example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.