Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the Barnes and Noble debacle (yes, I came out empty handed). I've been itching to lick my wounds with the purchase of a new game to fill that hole.

I've been pouring over recommendations, which I just thought it would be cool if there was something that counted how many times a game is mentioned in a forum.

I entertained anything from Yedo to Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar to just buying The Castles of Burgundy that I had hoped to snag and the B&N sale.

I finally settled down with purchasing Takenoko. It hasn't shipped yet because I just now purchased it but already I'm feeling the buyers remorse. Will this be the next thing to gather dust? Is it wrong to start thinking that the only cure to buyers remorse is to buy another game just in case?

Fingers are crossed that I made the right decision. I felt like if I didn't buy Takenoko soon, it would become another Mice and Mystics. All of a sudden the price is crazy and it's impossible to snag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Gruber
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm growing to really love Takenoko. It's relatively quick to set up & play, just 2 players is still fun and it's simple but not too simple.

I don't know what kind of games you normally enjoy but the sheer uniqueness of this game sold me on it. I tend to also have to consider my non-gamer friends/family when buying games as I don't want to scare them off by pulling out something too heavy, Takenoko fits with this perfectly in my opinion. A solid game for any crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:
Is it wrong to start thinking that the only cure to buyers remorse is to buy another game just in case?
It's time to admit you have a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Van Peursem
Tanzania
Spring Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Cor 12:9
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. I too purchased Takenoko recently but have never played it before. I hope we both enjoy it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigheyzeus wrote:
I tend to also have to consider my non-gamer friends/family when buying games as I don't want to scare them off by pulling out something too heavy.

This is my thing too. I look at one game and think, "man, this would be awesome to play..." and then it's "hmm...who is going to play it with me?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had the chance to play Takenoko yet, but it has to be better than Castles of Burgundy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel B.
France
Lyon
Rhône Alpes
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Takenoko 3 or 4 times so far, and I must say I enjoyed every single game, be it 2 or 4-players.
The concept is quite unique, also I'd say it can be played by a very wide variety of people (including youngsters).
The art is simply gorgeous, and although I've bought it recently, I have to admit that I'm seriously considering the Collector edition...

There's a good chance you won't regret this one.

[Edit] Typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally do not have Takenoko, but have played it several times and enjoy it every time I do. It is a game I may actually end up getting at some point. It was a good purchase. No need for remorse. And despite the above poster, Castles of Burgundy is quite good as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play Takenoko about twice a year. Every time we play it, we enjoy it. But for some reason, it rarely comes up in our "what do you want to play?" discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
United States
Stoughton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gengar in Hawaii
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with David that both are excellent games.

Takenoko is a cute game that plays deeper than it looks. Good for sucking in and converting non-gamers.

Castles of Burgundy looks much deeper than it is. A much different aesthetic, but only a moderate step up in complexity from the panda game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Relax, man. This is a beautiful game with elegant rules, nice strategy, beautiful components and a lovable, whimsical theme that is married beautifully to the mechanics.

For me it strikes the right balance between gamer's game and gateway game and there is a place for that in everyone's collection. If you enjoy Ticket to Rise or Carcasonne or Catan, you will like Takenoko more.

Just relax and enjoy this like you would enjoy a stroll through a Japanese garden on a beautiful spring day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not writing this to burst the bubble , but Takenoko really fell flat for my gaming group, so much that it's one of the few games I've traded away until now.

I haven't been able to pinpoint exactly why it didn't work for us - I think it's because the amount of decision making in this game belies the cutesy theme. That being said, most people who play it do seem to like it, so I'm quite sure you will too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Buttimer
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We like Takenoko a lot. It's a charming light strategy game. If you're hoping for a deep strategy game, you're going to be disappointed. What we really like is that it's not super long. 30-45 minutes for 4 players. It's a good starter/filler game for game groups.

It really falls down with 2 players, though. There's not enough interaction to make it interesting for 2 players and it feels like a weak solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mav
United Kingdom
Wellingborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the feeling, most of my gaming is with my children so I have to be very careful.

However this game is on our definite list.

As it stands the only game we have that is over 6 months old not passing my "Value for money test"* is Catan Junior and that is getting close.

*That is I personally have spent at least 1 hour gaming per £1 it cost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Devir
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've often wondered whether people would take the game more seriously if it had a Dungeon Petz vibe to it devil

Building a large dungeon and moving the dungeon master around to build intricate dungeon features; all the while the monster is raging about destroying his work and eating the imps.

Vlaada, Antoine get to work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Keefe
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have it, and we love it. Adults like it, kids like it, and it's a quick set up, quick play. What's not to like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it and love it. My gaming group really enjoyed it also. It's light enough children can enjoy it, yet has the depth for a gaming group to enjoy it also. Works well throughout the amount of players. Not a game I'll be trading any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boss Beau Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Takenoko and believe it is just as good as Jaipur, and better than Monopoly Deal or Qwirkle. I have a feeling you will enjoy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be odd (well, I know I am but, that's beside the point). I played Takenoko a couple times on BGA (so yes, the phsyical experience may be different) but I hated it. It was just boring, it made no sense, the theme was poor in my opinion (i mean, a panda on a farm, really? Give me shipping in the mediterrian over that) and just bleh. Castles of Burgandy is MUCH better in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you will like it. It has good game play, it's not as fluffy as it looks, as has been pointed out.

There's some gotcha in the game, which makes it competitive. Someone else can snag or destroy what you are going for (goals are hidden, but it can be groanworthy).

My only problem is the bamboo stacks aren't as sturdy as I would like them to be, and it's tough for colorblind people. But those aren't deal breakers.

I am personally regretting pulling the trigger on Village, I hesitated for so long to get it, finally did, and now thinking I won't like it at all.

At least you can trade/resell things you don't like, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its the second game I bought after Settlers of Catan.

Its not something I will likely ask to play often, but sometimes will will get the itch. It has a cool theme, great looking components, and its light enough to play with my non gamer girlfriend and some friends.

Its still in my collection while Settlers is not (seems like everyone has a copy so why do I need one too?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really a solid little game, but you have to get into it. We have a house rule, when you eat bamboo if you don't make an 'om nom' noise the bamboo goes back into the box
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just ordered Takenoko. Been watching the price drop on Amazon for a couple of days but couldn't decide. Then someone used the phrase 'pandered' today, then I saw this thread. Figured they must be signs I should buy it! Then Jaipur somehow slipped in to my cart. Not sure how that happened....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dani M
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We all love pandas Good light game thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just played Takenoko for the first time this weekend. I loved it. It is simple enough to learn quickly, yet has lots of room for strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.