Subject: Best way to draft from pool of cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Pinhal
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
So I will have 2 starters and 2 GFs worth of cards to work from, and am wondering what is the best way to determine what cards to play with when playing casually with my friends at game night.In games like Smash Up, we tend to play with draft mechanics or blind choice to prevent some of us from purposefully choosing OP combos.Has anyone thought of an interesting drafting format for this game yet?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook gives some draft rules on page 22. Have you tried those?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swirv
msg tools
I haven't done this yet, but I thought of a different way of doing this.

Since it is a dice game and not technically a card game, it would be cool to have a way to draft dice.

What you could do is take take all of your cards, less 1 of each of the starting characters (since you have 3 cards and 2 dice of each). You would then have a pool of cards each with a corresponding die in your collection. Then you do a draft of those. With each card that you get, you would get that die that goes with it.

So if you want to play Cyclops, you would have to get the card that you want, but then also enough other cards to have the amount of dice that you need.

Does that all make sense?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swirv
msg tools
And actually, I'm re-reading your post. Since you have 2 starters you could use all of the starting cards, less one each of their dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Scranton
United States
Oak Brook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same (2 starters and 2 gravity feeds). My plan is to shuffle all of the unique cards together. Then determine a start player. Then we will set out cards equal to 2x the number of players, so if there are 4 players, we will set out 8 cards. Each player will draft 1 card. The last player will draft 2 and we will go back through the card in reverse order. This will be repeated 4 times with the start player rotating 1 to the left on each cycle. Then each player will select an action card to include in the game. Each player will have 8 cards to put together a team. The only thing to be careful of is if you have a limited dice quantity for a character, you will need to use some discretion when a card comes up for the character that has already been selected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I have been playing is players alternate by choosing a character from all options available in my collection. Once both players have chosen their characters then in secret chose what version of them they will use. So you have some knowledge of what you are going up against but you will not know what version until the match begins.
Then you alternate choosing basic action cards and select your dice for your team and then begin. It worked out very well for us last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do "I choose one, you choose one" but with the rule that you pick the specific card AND the number of dice you will field when you take them.

That way if you don't take all the dice, there's still a chance your opponent will take another card of that character and other dice.

I like the meta gaming of knowing exactly what you have just taken so I can directly counter it. It's not the best representation of an actual tournament but I find that it's the fastest way to learn what cards are weak against others/strong against others.

The first few draft picks are often auto-picks. You take Beast 666, I take Storm Wind-Rider...etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Johnson
United States
Beatrice
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cant remember what its called but we've done this draft with Magic (I think it might be called Rochester) You lay out all the cards so everything is visible. In an 8 player draft players 1-7 only picked 1 card while the last guy picked 2 and then the order reversed going 7-1 with player 1 picking 2 cards and reversing the order again. Continue till either all cards drafted or in this case till everyone has a team. Not sure how well it'll work here but its worth a try at least. Theres also a few 2 player drafts I know people have used for MTG cubes that might work here as well. Basically if its been done in Magic Id be willing to try it at least once with MDM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hristoforov
United States
North Hollywood
CA
flag msg tools
what i do is i have all my sets of cards in different ziplock bags. so then i pull 3 bags random and one person chooses 1 and the other chooses 1. then the third one goes into a pile. I repeat this for like 10 times. And then you built a 8 champ team. The pile stuff doesn't come back to choose again as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
trilamb wrote:
The first few draft picks are often auto-picks. You take Beast 666, I take Storm Wind-Rider...etc.

If you're growing tired of that, you might want to add a League-of-Legends style "denial" round, wherein each person gets to pick a few people the other person isn't allowed to pick.

Might change up the "regulars" a bit so that you get more variety!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Judnick
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmb
stubobj wrote:
I cant remember what its called but we've done this draft with Magic (I think it might be called Rochester) You lay out all the cards so everything is visible. In an 8 player draft players 1-7 only picked 1 card while the last guy picked 2 and then the order reversed going 7-1 with player 1 picking 2 cards and reversing the order again. Continue till either all cards drafted or in this case till everyone has a team. Not sure how well it'll work here but its worth a try at least. Theres also a few 2 player drafts I know people have used for MTG cubes that might work here as well. Basically if its been done in Magic Id be willing to try it at least once with MDM.

I believe it's called a snake draft, because it snakes .

-----------------
My idea: Draft packs for OP.

A semi-constructed format would require the purchase of one draft pack.

$12
24 cards and respective dice
15 commons
7 uncommon
2 rare

2 out of every 15 packs has a super rare in place of an uncommon.

1) It's a bit expensive, but I think this would be a more popular option because of guaranteed rares. If they were exclusive to OP events, then it could really help out FLGS sales.

2) I really feel like all of the extra packaging is a waste considering how many people will be buying handfuls of packs at a time anyway.

3) I'm pretty sure my math is sound, and these would have the same distribution rates as the consensus 6 gravity feed case.

4) I'm sure Wizkids is content with what they have because they can't keep these on the shelves and they have no reason to change, but this is my pipe dream. Maybe in the future some more SKUs will be financially acceptable for the product and something like this could happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm sorry for bringing a thread back to life, but its continue one then to start a new

i literly just bought a used colection
( 1 starter + approx 40 boosters )

i am going to teach/play whit a friend soon and I wanted to do something like :
pick randomly 1 card per caracter ( 1 angel, 1 beast card, one magneto..... ) shuffle those cards together and pick 30 ouf of those

hand 15 card to myself and 15 cards to my friend
you pick a card from your deck and hand it to the other player
until.. we have 15 cards each

we then choose what card to use in our *pool* and decide how many dice we want

any ideas ?
i feel that will make use use almost all my collection and make the game really really replayable even whit my small colection

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
"...to excel above the common rate, in frivolous things, is nothing graceful in a man of quality and honor." - Michel de Montaigne
badge
Let's just play everything always.
mbmbmbmbmb
What I like to do is sort the cards into piles by cost. A pile for 4s, 5s, 6s, and then a pile for 1-3 & 7+. Then we randomly pull 4 cards from each pile, and then take turns picking one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.