Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on my game for close to three years now.
Unpublished Prototype
www.facebook.com/ny1901

Right from the start I've wanted it to be a true 'gateway' game. On other words I want it to be pleasing to 'gamers' of course, but simple and intuitive enough that it has a shot at broad 'gateway' appeal.

I have the option of including two options: a basic game and a - slightly - more advanced game option in the box.

Is offering two options in the box anathema to 'gateway'? It might please true gamers to have an 'advanced' option however, having many levels of complexity in the box might scare away the 'masses' that can make the game a true gateway success?

Your thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers has a beginners version with a fixed setup and an "advanced" variable setup. It seems to sell OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky Cantrell
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco is an example of a successful game that includes basic family rules and expansion modules that can add depth and replayability for gamers.

Personally I think the idea makes games like this serve as even better gateways. With non-gamers or new players you can start with the basic rules and move up as they get more comfortable.

Edit to add: I've taken a look at your game before, and that board is gorgeous my friend. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patricio Mendez
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
"It is no use walking anywhere to preach unless our walking is our preaching."
mbmbmbmbmb
Fresco! The basic game is very beginner-friendly. The game also comes with 3 "modules" you can add that increase the complexity (but never becoming heavy).

You can see the run-through of the game by Rahdo

http://bgg.cc/video/31021/fresco/rahdo-runs-through-fresco

Maybe you can add modules to your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually think that some games (for example, Ticket to Ride) does the thing without having simple and advanced versions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island has different difficulty settings as does Pandemic. Settler's of Catan as another person mentioned does as well. Even Ghost Stories which I wouldn't consider a gateway game has different levels of difficulty. I think it is very possible and often times implemented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, even Agricola has a basic version. Not that I would suggest it for non-gamers, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
Forbidden Island has different difficulty settings as does Pandemic. Settler's of Catan as another person mentioned does as well. Even Ghost Stories which I wouldn't consider a gateway game has different levels of difficulty. I think it is very possible and often times implemented.

Difficulty levels are extremely common in cooperative games, but that's not the same thing as having a more complex version of the game. Ghost Stories on high difficulty isn't any harder to teach than on low difficulty, it's just harder to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Sauer
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
bbblasterfire wrote:

Difficulty levels are extremely common in cooperative games, but that's not the same thing as having a more complex version of the game. Ghost Stories on high difficulty isn't any harder to teach than on low difficulty, it's just harder to win.

Flash Point, though, definitely has a true distinction between the beginner version and the advanced version, with the advanced version adding in the role cards, HazMats, Hot Spots, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the good advice.
Indeed a lot of popular games have different versions/scenarios. But if we make abstraction of Catan which came out many years ago and almost single-handily changed the market, it seems that the most successful recent gateways - TTR, Zooloretto, Carcassonne- are all out of the box one size fits all games. maybe I'm thinking too much...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shocko wrote:
Thank you all for the good advice.
Indeed a lot of popular games have different versions/scenarios. But if we make abstraction of Catan which came out many years ago and almost single-handily changed the market, it seems that the most successful recent gateways - TTR, Zooloretto, Carcassonne- are all out of the box one size fits all games. maybe I'm thinking too much...

Agricola is at least as successful as all the mentioned games (er...save Catan), and it comes with a "Family" variant for teaching new players. So, no, what you've said isn't necessarily true. The games you mention are just simple games, not games that offer a lot of depth. Not so with Agricola, which is why it is so highly regarded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shocko wrote:
maybe I'm thinking too much...

You are. Just make a fun game. A gateway game is just a game that causes a person to become interested in the hobby. Make a fun game and the gateway part will come naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that En Garde has basic and slightly more advanced rules and could be a gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Offering two versions in a game is fine and encouraged in my books. In a lot of ways, sticking the gateway version into a game (along with an advanced version) allows some players an easier grasp of the basic concepts/rules on first playthroughs before moving onto the advanced game mechanics.

Having dual function/purpose in a game to please either gaming/non-gaming crowd is always a bonus as I see it. In theory I would think it should increase your target audience size, and thereby, lead to more sales.

If you're worried about it, just look how successful Agricola has done as others have pointed out. Anyhow, it's food for thought. Good luck with your decision.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aditya C
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Formula D is awesome this way. The basic wear rules are simple to understand. The advanced wear rules really add flavor and encourages more decision-making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.