Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We randomly chose the start player and that player decided to pick Hacan (yellow) first. P2 chose Lazax (red), I chose Jol-nar (purple), P4 chose Sol (blue) and P5 was left with Letnev (gray). Sol decided to place 9 units in [sector 5 cultural center] to maintain presence in the eastern part of the board and left 1 unit at [sector 16 imperial palace] to discourage enemy deployment there for her setup. Note the bombardment fleet starting at Letnev's base. My starting card was an energy rifle.

The influence card placed 10 influence in [sector 8 holonet central] and 8 influence in [sector 17 sallab slums]. The bidding came out and I'm not exactly sure in what order it had happened or who won what, but I do remember a few key things: I had paid 5 to acquire an energy shield, Letnev had paid all 10 on an energy rifle and that the other 3 cards were an informant, a rapid mobilization and a fresh recruit card.

Hacan started the game off by moving all 5 units he started out with from his stronghold base at [sector 7 adminus imperialis] and then moved them to the influence in sector 8. He then deployed 4 men back at his base for defense. Lazax was next and went for money as well by deploying 5 men to [sector 17 sallab slums]. I though about my move for a moment and decided to be bold: I moved 5 of my men from my stronghold base at [sector 2 civilian spaceport] and walked into the base of Hacan at sector 7. I then deployed 5 men to the empty stronghold [sector 12 mecatol power south].

Why did I do this? Since two players went before me, I realized I would not have to deal with them as they went for money. The only other 2 players who could be a problem would be Sol and Letnev as they would be after me. However the game started with the bombardment fleet on top of Letnev's army, so he could not move them after me. Not only that, but Letnev had 0 influence, which put him out of the picture. Sol could not reach me at two of the strongholds I would be at, so I would only need to fight her at the bottom right stronghold, sector 7. And that's what Sol did as she marched 6 men from sector 5 to sector 7.

We did the first battle with me versus Hacan. I forgot to use my ability and simply used my energy rifle and shield along with a strength 5 leader. I was able to snipe his leader while committing no men. My 5 leader beat his army value of 3. I wasn't sure if Sol had a weapon on my next battle, so I actually committed some men. Again, I forgot to use my ability. I chose the same leader (which is allowed if he is used on the same space on the same turn) and put my number to 5 this time. Sol revealed a leader of 6 along with 4 men committed and more importantly, no weapon. I got 6 influence this time and my total of 9 beat her total of 4.

Since I controlled strongholds at mecatol power south, adminus imperialis and civilian spaceport, I had won the game on turn 1. Funny thing is that Letnev had both of my strength 5 leaders.

My take from all of this? I think Jol-nar is probably the most powerful faction in the game. A lot of the game is open such as the board and the influence amount players have, but there is hidden information too. Jol-nar is the only one able to see this and as such can abuse it to a high degree. Knowing what cards people get allows Jol-nar to attack who is weak and avoid those who are strong. Jol-nar also gets an upper hand in combat by allowing himself to see how many men an opponent will commit or what cards the opponent is playing. This then gives him an ability to guarantee good moves and to 100% avoid the bad ones. It makes it so that Jol-nar can play perfectly, while the other factions stumble and make mistakes. I had seen all the cards that came out and knew who had what and where I was able to strike. It was the perfect storm of events that fit together that allowed me to pull off an early win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgios P.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It won't be easy. But it can be done.
mbmbmbmbmb
I might be wrong, but I think Sector 2 is four spaces away from Sector 7. If that is so, moving into Sector 7 from Sector 2 isn't legal unless you control both Imperial Navy Base (Sector 18) and Civilian Spaceport (Sector 2).

Was that the case in your game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need to control both spaceports to get the 4 movement bonus; you only need to control 1, which Jol-nar and Letnev both start with. This also makes them the only races capable of winning on turn 1 without the use of the card rapid mobilization.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ronke
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple other cards outside of Rapid Mobilization that will allow a first-turn win too, particularly for the Sol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest mistake there was Letnev paying all of his influence for strategy card(s), and not saving at least a little for deployment. Who bid it up to ten? There usually isn't that much influence in the first round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.