Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Zombicide» Forums » Reviews

Subject: 6 out of 10. A simple game of Zombie-slaughter ... but is it too simple? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The name "Zombicide" should clue you in fairly heavily as to what you're letting yourself in for with this game. Combining Zombies+Homocide, this is obviously a game of slaughter where the victims are going to be the zombies. But is that enough ... ?

Synopsis
The players collectively and co-operatively control a number of human survivors of a zombie apocalypse and must all work together to survive their current situation and get out alive. This usually comes down to killing as many zombies as they can although there is the occasional exception. Those who like wracking up a huge body count are in the right place.

Gameplay
Each player controls one or more Survivors and on every turn each of those Survivors gets three actions to explore the map and kill zombies. These actions can include moving, opening a door, searching a location, attacking, getting in a car, driving a car and potentially more. Along the way the Survivors accumulate experience and this slowly gives them access to more actions per turn, special actions and special abilities but also greater zombie threats; the more experience a Survivor has, the more zombies spawn.
The Zombies themselves are controlled through farily simple rules after all the Survivors have taken their actions and it soon becomes quite easy to manipulate the rules, and thus the zombies, to your favour. Therefore after the first few games the only way the zombies can really pose much of a threat is simply through bad luck. You can do everything right, roll some bad attacks and suddenly be swarmed. Most of the time, that becomes the only way the zombies will pose a problem.
However, having said that ...
What stops this game being nothing more than a simple kill-fest is that each game is played with a certain "Scenario" which each have special rules and objectives. And, like most games that rely on Scenarios, it is here more than anywhere else where the game can live or die. With a good Scenario the game can be lots of fun as you run around the map trying to reach certain points while wildly opening fire on the approaching horde. With a bad Scenario, you can simply walk to the exit. There is at least one Scenario in the base game where that is entirely possible - just walk away. Gee, that was fun ... Of course, you don't have to walk away but the very fact that you can means that you will the moment things get tricky and this removes any tension or difficulty from that Scenario. Other Scenarios are better crafted but only 10 in total are provided in the base set.
So what we're left with is a simple, easy game that relies a lot on luck and lives or dies based mostly on your choice of Scenario. And with little to help you know if a Scenario is good or not until you try it, you can easily find yourself bored for two hours while your friend in another city is enthralled by this very game purely because they chose a different Scenario.
Upon such slender threads ...

Presentation
The game's presentation is first rate and it's easy to see why the makers thought they could justify the steep asking price. All zombies and survivors are plastic minis, the artwork on the map tiles, cards and rulebook are all first rate and there is absolutely no cause for complaint here.

Summary
Simple game mechanics which are slammed together with a Scenario of variable quality creating a very hit-or-miss gaming experience. Some evenings you might love it, some you might get bored. The problem is there is little to tell you in advance which you're going to experience ...

6 out of 10. When it flies, it soars; when it doesn't, it's boring.

Note 1: I have learned from bitter experience with this site that I need to stress that all reviews – including this one – are entirely matters of opinion. I am not claiming that anything I have said in this review is fact, it is all entirely my opinion and I am sure that many others have different opinions. If you wish to reply with yours, I welcome it. I enjoy discussion but will not respond kindly to aggressive replies.
Note 2: I am fully aware the expansion sets can change things a great deal. However this review looks only at the base game as it plays using the initial release. To do otherwise in this review is unfair to the readers and the game itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that you are not fair

In fact, I agree with most of your points, but the problem with your review is that, even though you acknowledge in your first sentence what the game is about, your review the game as it was something else.

In other words, I think Zombicide is very good at being a game where you slaughter zombies; that's what most potential players/buyers will expect from it.

For the few people who don't know what to expect, you do a good job at explaining what the game is. It's a game simulating films with lot of zombies, definitely devoid of artistic and intellectual considerations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's fair.

I think he's spot on that the game is very hit and miss depending on the scenarios. If you decide to play scenario 2 (or scenario 1 as your intro into the game) then you likely won't have a very good time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob stencel

mooresville
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe should have given it 2 ratings then, when get good scenario as compared to when bad. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also whilst it is valid to exclude expansions it might be prudent to note that there are 40+ additional scenarios on GG website free to anyone that can be played with the base set alone.

Further (at the risk of derision ) I think there is an element of strategy in the when and which zombie you kill, ramping up the kills to soon will see you lost in a mass before you have any hope of making it out.

Overall though can't argue with your points but they are what make it an enjoyable game for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
What matters in life is not the triumph nor the struggle but the triumph by tie breaker.
mbmbmbmbmb
rstencel wrote:
Maybe should have given it 2 ratings then, when get good scenario as compared to when bad. Just a thought.

Maybe should have given it a rating of 2 instead cause it's just an overpriced box of zombies with outdated mechanics and stupid rules: an epitome of ameritrash, just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
I think that you are not fair

In fact, I agree with most of your points, but the problem with your review is that, even though you acknowledge in your first sentence what the game is about, your review the game as it was something else.

In other words, I think Zombicide is very good at being a game where you slaughter zombies; that's what most potential players/buyers will expect from it.

For the few people who don't know what to expect, you do a good job at explaining what the game is. It's a game simulating films with lot of zombies, definitely devoid of artistic and intellectual considerations

I don't believe I "review it as something else", I point out that the only thing that stops the game being a simple kill-fest is the Scenarios; so it's a kill-fest with Scenarios is the implication. So yes, it's a game where you slaughter zombies until the dice go against you or you have a bad Scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rrrrupp wrote:
I think it's fair.

I think he's spot on that the game is very hit and miss depending on the scenarios. If you decide to play scenario 2 (or scenario 1 as your intro into the game) then you likely won't have a very good time.

I don't have the game in front of me so I can't check but iirc then I thought Scenarios 1 and 2 were both good introductions to the game and taught/explored different mechanics. The first Scenario that made me think "uh-oh" was the one where you can literally just walk to the exit in 3 or 4 turns and that's it, you've done it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rstencel wrote:

But then why not each Scenario individually, etc? I think one review while stressing the caveat of the huge variation in quality of scenarios is fairer; it's an average of bad v good Scenarios. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jokeroz wrote:
Also whilst it is valid to exclude expansions it might be prudent to note that there are 40+ additional scenarios on GG website free to anyone that can be played with the base set alone.

Further (at the risk of derision ) I think there is an element of strategy in the when and which zombie you kill, ramping up the kills to soon will see you lost in a mass before you have any hope of making it out.

Overall though can't argue with your points but they are what make it an enjoyable game for me.

I should point out that 6 out of 10 is about average for me. My "Average Rating" from all the games I've given a score to is 5.9 and last time I worked out the average of all my reviews it came in at about 5.1. So a score of 6, while not intentional, is I believe pretty much bang on when compared to the rest of my collection. It's a game I will happily play again but it's not a game I love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oninohugo wrote:
rstencel wrote:

Maybe should have given it a rating of 2 instead cause it's just an overpriced box of zombies with outdated mechanics and stupid rules: an epitome of ameritrash, just a thought.

Hey now, why are you sitting on the fence? Tell us what you REALLY think! :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stenun wrote:
rrrrupp wrote:
I think it's fair.

I don't have the game in front of me so I can't check but iirc then I thought Scenarios 1 and 2 were both good introductions to the game and taught/explored different mechanics. The first Scenario that made me think "uh-oh" was the one where you can literally just walk to the exit in 3 or 4 turns and that's it, you've done it.

Scenario 1 is the hardest (and longest) BY FAR scenario so many groups start with it as their learning game and get destroyed. Not a very fun experience for most groups.

Scenario 2 is the scenario that you can just run to the exit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So Scenario 1 is the one about getting a Survivor to Red? That was easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hardin
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
Stenun wrote:
So Scenario 1 is the one about getting a Survivor to Red? That was easy.

No, scenario 1 is the one where you start out in a single locked room. It's the toughest scenario in the booklet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was fairly certain the "get a Survivor to Red" scenario is before the one where you can just walk to the exit ... ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. That mission is #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.