Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Study by the Guttmacher Institute has teen pregnancy rates at historic lows, down over 50% from the peak in the early 1990s. http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2014/05/05/index.html

This is a disaster, folks.

I mean, how can an op-ed columnist do a phone-it-in moral outrage piece about reckless teens and their sexting and twitter and binge drinking and the awful influence of video games/some pop star/the internets when we have these epidemic levels of responsibility, thinking about the future and deferral of gratification amongst our teens?

How can an uncle at Thanksgiving Dinner talk about young people nowadays and their wanton, careless ways and in his day they were more responsible when statistics like this are just one Google search on a smartphone away?

Please, think of the uncles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Obama!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Simon Mueller wrote:
What about Teenage Mutant Ninja Mothers though?
Aren't they aliens (or some such bollocks) now?

Thanks Obama.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
tmcvey wrote:
Study by the Guttmacher Institute has teen pregnancy rates at historic lows, down over 50% from the peak in the early 1990s. http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2014/05/05/index.html

I mean, how can an op-ed columnist do a phone-it-in moral outrage piece about reckless teens and their sexting and twitter and binge drinking and the awful influence of video games/some pop star/the internets when we have these epidemic levels of responsibility, thinking about the future and deferral of gratification amongst our teens?

How can an uncle at Thanksgiving Dinner talk about young people nowadays and their wanton, careless ways and in his day they were more responsible when statistics like this are just one Google search on a smartphone away?

I was thinking that they could always complain that the teens are still immoral, but are just getting more abortions but I read yesterday that abortions are at their lowest since the 90's also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
tmcvey wrote:

I was thinking that they could always complain that the teens are still immoral, but are just getting more abortions but I read yesterday that abortions are at their lowest since the 90's also.
You have not heard about the secret governemnt abortion camps, what did you think Obama care was all about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mango Man
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the real story is US male teenage impotence increasing due to upsurge in boardgaming...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pricero1 wrote:
Maybe the real story is US male teenage impotence increasing due to upsurge in boardgaming...

Whoah there, let's control the spin on this right now. It is obviously the electromagnetic fields effects of video game controllers (especially wireless), when held in the lap during gaming, on in-puberty testes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McVey
United States
SF Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
pricero1 wrote:

Whoah there, let's control the spin on this right now. It is obviously the electromagnetic fields effects of video game controllers (especially wireless), when held in the lap during gaming, on in-puberty testes.

That's nonsense. Everyone knows that Wi-Fi frequencies don't cause impotency, as the Illuminati mind control chips that cause impotency work on the 9-12 GHz spectrum, not 2.4 or 5 GHz. That's why you have to use brand-names like Alcon to make your tinfoil hats, not the generic store kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
As a father of two, I'm just backing slowly away from you guys who think board games effect your sexual performance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
As a father of two, I'm just backing slowly away from you guys who think board games effect your sexual performance.

Just don't back into the guys who know it doesn't, wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Hence slowly. I'm keeping my eye on you, you deviated prevert. Don't you try any of your preversions on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Hence slowly. I keeping my eye on you, you deviated prevert. Don't you try any of your preversions on me.

You mean like using a no-dice variant of Axis And Allies that relies on Rock-Scissors-Paper to resolve battles? I thought you liked it kinky like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Hence slowly. I keeping my eye on you, you deviated prevert. Don't you try any of your preversions on me.

All right Colonel... "Bat" Guano, if that really is your name...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Coolhand" Luke
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The counterpoint to this is to look at the trend of age at first marriage and births out of wedlock. Yea 50 years ago teens were having kids, but they were also more likely to be married (and have opportunities to be employed - at least if they were white and not born too impoverished).

My favorite graph of relevance is also from guttmacher:

http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/tgr/05/1/gr050107.html

Important take away, yea the teen birth rate (as a function of the population) has been cut in half, but the rate of nonmarital teen births has increased from about 12% to about 80%.

TLDR: There's probably plenty of irresponsibility for Uncle Steve to complain about

Edit: I just want to add, there is a potential argument to make that it is easier today to be a single parent than it was in the past, and that many unmarried mothers are very responsible, hard working, and may have even intentionally decided to raise a child by themselves (due to their own capability or because of a father's abusiveness, or other lacklustering qualities) Though those who self-select to be single parents are usually young professionals in their 30's who have careers and a plan, not teenagers. I merely think it's important to recognize that teen pregnancy today means something different than it did in the 1950's or 60's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unmarried doesn't mean single. I have friends who are in long term relationships and have kids who aren't planning on marrying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to get teen pregnant when you die of texting while driving as a teen.

Not saying there is a correlation, but I'm not not saying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 18- and 19-year-olds heard I would be available soon and have been holding out for me. Possibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"Coolhand" Luke
United States
Columbia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Unmarried doesn't mean single. I have friends who are in long term relationships and have kids who aren't planning on marrying.

Also a good point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
I hate pointing out the obvious in RSP. Oh well, we'll see how it goes...

Possible contributing factor to ignore or discuss, hate on me if you must: That is also about the time gayness became cool.

So all the kids who wanted to not spawn kids are just hipsters who ironically take it in the ass?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
GameCrossing wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:

Possible contributing factor to ignore or discuss, hate on me if you must: That is also about the time gayness became cool.

So all the kids who wanted to not spawn kids are just hipsters who ironically take it in the ass?

Welcome to Koldland!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
This is bad news for America's energy independence.

Roughnecks need strippers.

You do the math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
whac3 wrote:

Phanarrr! Phanaarrrr!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Seems to be that as your seed is strong you are slaking in not impregnating more teenage mothers, get your "finger" out and get on the job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

It's cool to be gay?, I am not at all gay about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

[q="tmcvey"]Study by the Guttmacher Institute has teen pregnancy rates at historic lows, down over 50% from the peak in the early 1990s. http://www.guttmacher.org/media/nr/2014/05/05/index.html[\q]
Isn't it nicely ironic that teenage pregnancy only went down after the Reagan and Bush terms of office (1981-1993)?

Maybe Nancy Reagan should have been working on a "Just Say 'No'" campaign against teenage pregnancy instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.