Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Ninô
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Umegae get 1 point and 1 coin when the player decides to buy a Calligraphy Card, instead of drawing an Encounter card?

I would say no, since the character seems like a street performer who'd get tips (and points) for performing for traveleres. That's how I see the theme working, at least.

But, since Calligraphy cards count towards the "Chatterbox" achievement, I'm not sure anymore. Is buying Calligraphy considered an Encounter? Thematically, it seems weird to me. Why does writing make me a Chatterbox, by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben de Kemp
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't quite explain it thematically either, but it's right there on the last page that Umegae does get the coin and point for taking a Calligraphy card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ninô
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right! When I was checking, I don't know why but I didn't even read that last page. Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew ONeill
msg tools
mbmbmb
I believe the thematic understanding is that the calligraphy card is symbolic of virtues or values gained through one's experiences on the road.

It's not your character reading or writing anything, or even really buying anything, even though a coin is spent for mechanics purposes.

Rather, I view the card as representing the realization of the virtue in one's life, but whether you actually become virtuous, depends on how you finish your trip.

Like in real life, virtue is only gained through working at it. So a person who learns the virtues of fasting must practice it by not eating; a person who strives for perfection pushes themselves to achieve more, etc.

Regarding Umegae, I agree that it's a little less direct than simply meeting someone and performing, like with the basic set, but I never did look at it as her performing for the specific person she meets. Instead, I assumed her encounters on the road, unlike the other characters', comes about primarily through her job as a busker. So she stops to perform, earning money in the process, and happens to meet whomever is on the card as well.

And even though we choose encounter cards, you could view them as random occurrences along the way, which fits just fine with the purpose of the calligraphy cards. I think they're "calligraphy" because in Japan, now but especially back then, the art of writing was much more significant than we treat it today in the west. You can find many examples of small bits of poetry written about the practice of virtue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Rhodes
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
She's buying the calligraphy from a calligrapher. An encounter with a calligrapher is an encounter as surely as is an encounter with a tour guide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Ninô
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speusippus wrote:
She's buying the calligraphy from a calligrapher. An encounter with a calligrapher is an encounter as surely as is an encounter with a tour guide.

I forgot you had to pay for it. That makes sense. Actually, I initially thought my character was always the one stopping to do the writing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.