Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Brauchler
United States
Mansfield
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a question, let's say the second adventure in the book, where you have to find the broken door, then the villain spawns and is trying to catch up to you... After the villain spawns the objective is to take the crown and kill the villain. Do I still go through my exploration phase and draw tiles, monster cards/encounter cards? Because I guess, why would I want to explore any longer since I already found my objective and I just need to kill the villain. I'm assuming I probably do, because I didn't see anything in the rules saying NOT to, it just doesn't work thematically for me I guess. Thanks guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, turns progress as normal. Usually you hope to have a buffer of XP built up to cancel encounters, since continuing to explore while being attacked by a villain usually causes you to lose ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Brauchler
United States
Mansfield
OH - Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh okay, awesome thank you so much :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Shockley
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, of course the downside to not drawing new tiles is that you're guaranteed an encounter card. Of course that might beat exploring, which can get you an encounter AND a monster :/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
Yes, turns progress as normal. Usually you hope to have a buffer of XP built up to cancel encounters, since continuing to explore while being attacked by a villain usually causes you to lose ground.

Hi. I'm also playing this scenario for the first time.

I know that's how the rules are written, but doing it the way you suggest really breaks the game for me.

The exploration phase works fine early on in the scenario, to drive the heroes forward. But once the objective (Throne Room) is revealed, the heroes would naturally head there, kill any monsters there, and pick up the crown. It really doesn't make sense (thematic or game wise) to continue on exploring unexplored edges when the objective of the quest is in front of them.

Ditto not being 'punished' by Encounter cards because the heroes failed to explore a new tile. That is too 'gamey' for me. And what happens when the XP isn't enough to over rule Encounter cards? It's tough enough for my heroes to kill all monsters in the Throne Room AND Artemis while they are in their last legs (due to lousy stinking dice rolls) to also be bothered with Stale Air, rock falls, volcanic vents and the like. So my house rule is: once Objective tile has been placed, no need to Explore any more, and no penalty for doing so.

YMMV and this is only my opinion. Any one reading this is free to play as they see fit :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It really doesn't make sense (thematic or game wise) to continue on exploring unexplored edges when the objective of the quest is in front of them.

Right. You try to stockpile XP earlier in the adventure so you can stop exploring when the time comes.

Even if you're getting hit by encounters, it's usually wrong to keep flipping tiles when you've found the objective. The added monsters don't make up for avoiding the encounters, especially since you can flip black-arrow tiles anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.