Popular Tags: [View All]
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Seeing as some upgrades have been identified as "TIE Phantom only", it implies clearly other ships will be getting Cloaking Devices. So let's speculate as to what a Cloaking Device Upgrade card would look like, shall we?

- It should be a modification, and not a System Upgrade or god forbid a Title. No sense cloaking a B-wing and not an X-Wing for instance.
- The fact that the Advanced Cloaking Device is Phantom only is very important, since it means a ship will only be able to benefit from it about half the time (if it's attacking at all...)
- With an appropriate (high) cost, I don't see much problems with ships Agility 1 or 2 ships... a Cloaked X-Wing is an interesting concept, and Agi 4 is not game-breaking by any means especially if it restrains you to firing once every other turn, and without the Phantom's fantastic 4-dice primary. Where it breaks down a bit with with Agility 3 ships... to be able to reliably defend with 5 dice is kind of uncanny.
- Maybe it could mean something like "Cost is X Where X equals 8 + the ship's Agility".
- Even though a cloaked Falcon sounds kind of cool, I could see this being a "Small Ships only" upgrade, since cost of an upgrade would probably not scale with big Hull/Shield combinations.

To sum it up, if I was tasked with the enormous task of creating that upgrade, that's probably how I'd go about it: make it a modification, price it at 8-10 points minimum, make it "Small Ships Only", maybe even put a "limit to 1 per squad" on it to reflect the rarity of that upgrade.

What's your feeling about this? Do you think we'll eventually see such a card? Would it be terminally game-breaking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
javascrybe wrote:
Seeing as some upgrades have been identified as "TIE Phantom only", it implies clearly other ships will be getting Cloaking Devices. So let's speculate as to what a Cloaking Device Upgrade card would look like, shall we?

- It should be a modification, and not a System Upgrade or god forbid a Title. No sense cloaking a B-wing and not an X-Wing for instance.
- The fact that the Advanced Cloaking Device is Phantom only is very important, since it means a ship will only be able to benefit from it about half the time (if it's attacking at all...)
- With an appropriate (high) cost, I don't see much problems with ships Agility 1 or 2 ships... a Cloaked X-Wing is an interesting concept, and Agi 4 is not game-breaking by any means especially if it restrains you to firing Where it breaks down a bit with with Agility 3 ships... to be able to reliably defend with 5 dice is kind of uncanny.
- Maybe it could mean something like "Cost is X Where X equals 8 + the ship's Agility".
- Even though a cloaked Falcon sounds kind of cool, I could see this being a "Small Ships only" upgrade, since cost of an upgrade would probably not scale with big Hull/Shield combinations. [/list]

To sum it up, if I was tasked with the enormous task of creating that upgrade, that's probably how I'd go about it: make it a modification, price it at 8-10 points minimum, make it "Small Ships Only", maybe even put a "limit to 1 per squad" on it to reflect the rarity of that upgrade.

What's your feeling about this? Do you think we'll eventually see such a card? Would it be terminally game-breaking?

The "TIE Phantom Only" upgrade (Adv. Cloaking Device) has to say that or else it could be put on any ship, allowing that ship to take a "free Cloak action." However, the Stygium Accelerator doesn't need such text because it doesn't do anything if the ship doesn't have the Cloak action available. Such text, or lack thereof, doesn't imply that other ships will be able to cloak.

I don't know if we'll ever see other ships that can Cloak, but I'm about 99.999% sure we won't see a modification, etc, that allows a given ship type to cloak that doesn't already have the ability on its action bar. *insert text about game breaking, jumping the shark, etc*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advance Cloaking is Phantom only because every ship can attack, and they did not want to make it an action ("May perform a cloak action"), as that could then trigger PtL. Stydgium is not Phantom only, because it is the only ship that can take a cloak action or decloak, so there is no need to point out "Phantom Only"

AAAHHHHninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
The "TIE Phantom Only" upgrade (Adv. Cloaking Device) has to say that or else it could be put on any ship, allowing that ship to take a "free Cloak action."

Not so sure about that. It would have been as easy to make the text "Ships with cloaking actions only". It think it's pretty much a given they keep the option open for other cloaked ships (Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator? Starkiller's Rogue Shadow?). That it'll be available as an upgrade IS a stretch, but hey... what are game community forums if not for rampant and delirious speculation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't want one. Keep it unique, or at most make it innate to another ship. But not an upgrade that can be plopped on anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
javascrybe wrote:
iNano78 wrote:
The "TIE Phantom Only" upgrade (Adv. Cloaking Device) has to say that or else it could be put on any ship, allowing that ship to take a "free Cloak action."

Not so sure about that. It would have been as easy to make the text "Ships with cloaking actions only". It think it's pretty much a given they keep the option open for other cloaked ships (Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator? Starkiller's Rogue Shadow?). That it'll be available as an upgrade IS a stretch, but hey... what are game community forums if not for rampant and delirious speculation?

IMO they either make it an action, which opens up PtL use, or restrict it to ships with cloak on it's action bar, which removes it if the Phantom takes a crit that clears its action bar. Currently you can still re-cloak after attacking regardless of any gamestate, which is essential on a 30+ point ship with 4 HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't star trek. Cloaking devices are restricted access
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davyd A
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Norsehound wrote:
This isn't star trek. Cloaking devices are restricted access

Indeed. And based on Needa's line in ESB, restricted to Huge Ships until the Phantom comes along. Which was a stunningly expensive experiment that had, according to the fiction, four models. Total. Ever. In an Empire with so many ships that a couple of squadrons can be forgotten in a rounding error.

Baring seeing a Sith Infiltrator or something new from Rebels or Episode VII, I doubt we'll see another cloaking ship, both for the fluff reasons mentioned above, and because FFG is doing a decent job of giving each ship a unique role to play, and the "cloaking fighter" role is now filled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.