Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Snitch!» Forums » General

Subject: Should we (The SNITCH community) tie SNITCH in with Police Precinct? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something we have been evolving toward over time.

It started out as us thinking that...

"We love the Law Enforcement theme sector and feeling like it was under-served."

That thinking slowly (during the lead-up to, and most especially during, the SNITCH Kickstarter) evolving to the point where we have come to feel like...

These two worlds belong together!

Many things and people have evolved this thinking. To cite one example...

MOE

Moe (Maurice Fitzgerld) one of the wonderful (and there are many) SNITCH backers mentioned something about this, and it really hit me at the right time, to push me "over the edge" so-to-speak.

OLE

This got me talking to Ole and we both got really excited about the possibilities of this.

We have always had HUGE plans for Police Precinct, and this doesn't change that, but in fact (as you can imagine) intensifies those plans even more.

BASE GAMES:

We see several base games coming out within the world of Police Precinct...

1. 2ND EDITION: Which will allow more people access to the base game now that 1st Edition is sold out.

2. DICE VERSION: This should be a bit lighter version using dice and cards.

3. SNITCH: Which could tie into Police Precinct in a number of ways.

4. DOOMSDAY: Regarding this name, this is the name I am giving it for now because I don't know off the top of my head what Ole is calling this game. But he has this really cool idea cooking. Probably not best to try to explain it right now (it's still in development), except to say that it is emergency responder based (w/ Police, Fire, Ambulance/Medical, Terror Units, and other Specialized Units) and deals with huge problems (think Epic!).

5. MORE: I don't want to say exactly (partly because I don't know), but there could (and likely will) be more!

EXPANSIONS

Then, beyond each of these base games will be MANY expansions for each, let's use The base game for Police Precinct as an example. There are already expansionary items for this game, but what does the future hold?

Here you go...

EXPANSIONS (For Police Precinct base game alone)

1. SEASON TWO: Contains 3 new major episodes usable by anyone who has 1st Edition or 2nd Edition.

2. MOD-BOARD: This is something Lines is working on and should be a really cool addition.

3. SEASON THREE: more episodes!

These items (1-3) would include other extras (like new characters etc etc.) beyond just the expansions themselves!

Anyway...

Our thinking is evolving and this thread could be a good place to discuss this further.

CURRENT THINKING

We think that by CMG focusing 100% on one Brand that we can build it into something truly amazing, rather than us going in several directions at once.

The discussion about this began yesterday in the comments section of the Kickstarter, but that thread is a place where things (important ideas) can get lost (buried).

which is why I wanted to create this thread.

With this thread, we have a place to focus on this one topic.

HOW FAR THIS GOES

As we contemplate this concept, we see a possible range of "how far this goes."

Meaning that...

On one end of the spectrum, all these games could be Literally named "Police Precinct" (see below for examples).

Or...

On the other end of the spectrum they could be depicted as an approved game in the line, which might look like this...

"SNITCH: A Police Precinct Approved Game, Part of the Common Man Line of Law Enforcement Games"

If the former, the naming could look like this...

Police Precinct: The Original (refers to 1st Edition and 2nd Edition)

Police Precinct: Let's Roll (refers to the dice version)

Police Precinct: SNITCH (refers to SNITCH)

Police Precinct: Doomsday (refers to Ole's game in development)

This give you an idea of the range of what we are thinking in terms of positioning.

We feel like, as long as we fall somewhere in this range, we should have full licence to play with all sorts of possible ties between these games.

The keys that unlock the door to "The World of Police Precinct!" are right there...

All we need to do is pick them up and unlock!

No final decisions have been made on this topic, but the wheels are starting to turn.

Ideas are beginning to spring forth our end.

Stay tuned!

And...

Tell us what ideas YOU have!

PS -- Here are some images (added later -- 6/24/14) of what our logos might look like in relation to this topic...

and...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so they don't get lost, here is a couple things that have been said over on the KS comments page...

"now here's a thought. I wonder if you could play Snitch on the PP board with a few tweaks....
Maybe keep the RTA's in to block routes etc"

Then...

"That goes along with one of the ideas I had with using the PP board as an add-on board later, but it would take out the tile laying part of SNITCH which is something that goes against the games current incarnation but as an expansion idea later could be a potential use. For the tile laying portion of the current game, I'd thought of adding in different named spaces from PP for familiarity sake and to tie it to Commonville."

then...

"but that's just cosmetic. Also the scale seems completely different.
How about use the events in PP to alter the board in Snitch? For example, certain events might shut down a ZOI, or make a path impossible to cross"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lowry
United States
Antioch
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there is the old adage, don't put all your eggs in one basket. Personally, if it takes off like a Catan or TTR then it very well could make sense to do that. If you can make the universe deep enough, diverse enough and put out enough content/product to keep it alive and fresh, sure why not!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part of the thinking is...

We are a small publisher, and we want to go deeper on our products that is typical, so...

How can that happen?

Linking them seems like one route to help pave the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maurice Fitzgerald
United States
Allen
TX
flag msg tools
designer
I'll be in my bunk... at moesgametable.com
badge
Time for some thrilling heroics
mbmbmbmbmb
The intent of my original idea I shared with Karl was to cross pollinate the two games as being in the same world/city of Commonville. As they are both police themed games, I thought it would be a good idea to build the brand.

From here you could use ideas from both to add expansions, spin off games and an ongoing storyline, since I tend to think a lot along story lines myself and explore different parts of Commonville in different ways. For example you have Lords of Waterdeep which is a worker placement game but it is set in the D&D universe, so it appeals to gamers who are fans of both genres. It's a great game but the flavor of it is driven by the universe it resides in and it garners more attention because of that, drawing people who are D&D fans who might not have looked at a worker placement game if it wasn't for it being for a theme they were already into. It's another way to attract more gamers to the line was my thought, aside from opening up lots of possibilities of different game types through an evolving, established world that just keeps growing.

* Maybe the murderer from PP that you are investigating is part of the Kingpin's group or is the Kingpin herself for example. Could lead to an expansion for either or both games, spinning off incidents taking place in both games.
* An expansion to Police Precinct where you are dealing more with CI's as you do in SNITCH.
* Make the tiles in SNITCH be similar to the map from PP, it doesn't have to match 100% and it probably couldn't because then it would be a puzzle that would only have one way of being built. But you could have landmarks on the tiles from the PP game. Need to hit the Sitz Coffee Shop on the way to Ole's for donuts. :)

Those are the initial thoughts to try to spur discussion

Of course, there would be other game ideas that are of a more strategic/tactical angle. Dealing with the 'doomsday' game idea could be a worker placement/strategy game along the lines of Flash Point possibly or even the worker placement style of LoWD, assigning cops to different parts of the city to do 'quests/calls for service' or whichever style strategy game you could imagine that (IMO) could be played coop or competitively.

Hopefully it helps the games grow by bringing people back to a familiar location but seeing it in new and different ways was my intent. People like to come back to places they know, so these games would be tie-ins to one another. Similar to how David compared it to Catan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what he said!

(thanks Moe!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On this topic, please reference this thread...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1171443/next-common-man-game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the idea of more "Seasons" of PP - to be honest, one reason I haven't purchased it yet (other than the fact it sold out), is the fact that you are always solving the same crime.

Now, if you could develop this idea further......

- How about a campaign mode - where you are solving different crimes, maybe leading to a tough crime at the climax (maybe regarding the Kingpin??). I liken this to the old PC game Police Quest 4.

- This would particularly work with the modular board idea - think Zombiecide, Mice & Mystics, Galaxy Defenders etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott VM
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of a line of law enforcement games, as well as being able to play them together. I also like the campaign mode idea. The first thing that came to mind as a current gap in the line is an FPFR-style game where the players control a SWAT team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Ingeland
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love to see a traitor option or other modes to choose for playing baddies. Think Alcatraz: The Scapegoat, Panic Station or teamplay variants. Simply to cover the two sides of the coin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, speaking of the "Line of Law Enforcement Games"...

Check this out...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1026360181/good-cop-bad...

For some strange reason there are not a lot of options in this very popular theme.

When I say popular I am referring to all the TV shows and how people feel about this topic, not about how many games there actually are, because sadly there are NOT many to be had (yet).

This one (Good Cop Bad Cop) looks like a fun little card game, and...

The creators seem like good guys!

I would like to see more Law Enforcement games and I have backed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mixed thoughts about where the best place is to stick the following info, but this thread is where I chose.

The following is from Chris, my good friend from England, and it's a bunch of his cool ideas about where we could go with Police Precinct and SNITCH, etc...

-=-=-=--=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-

"You are looking for ways to increase your line of games while sticking to the emergency service route (which is what you call the first response or something in the states).

These are my own musings.

Police Precinct

You may or may not have already thought of this, but I sincerely believe that Police Precinct is a perfect candidate for a card game spin off. Either in a co-op format or as a 2 player game, good vs. bad. style. Something that can be played in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mixed thoughts about where the best place is to stick the following info, but this thread is where I chose.

The following is from Chris, my good friend from England, and it's a bunch of his cool ideas about where we could go with Police Precinct and SNITCH, etc...

-=-=-=--=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=

"You are looking for ways to increase your line of games while sticking to the emergency service route (which is what you call the first response or something in the states).

Police Precinct

You may or may not have already thought of this, but I sincerely believe that Police Precinct is a perfect candidate for a card game spin off. Either in a co-op format or as a 2 player game, good vs. bad. style. Something that can be played in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

-=-=-=--=-=-=-==-=-=-=-=-=-=

Police Precinct

You may or may not have already thought of this, but I sincerely believe that Police Precinct is a perfect candidate for a card game spin off. Either in a co-op format or as a 2 player game, good vs. bad. style. Something that can be played in under 30 minutes.

There is a growing trend to create card games out of existing games and I think this suits. Is this in the works already?

Snitch

Snitch oh wonderful Snitch!

Event cards. These are played at random as the game progresses, perhaps there is an 'event' info marker. Instead of cubes it causes an event to occur (and then another info markers is drawn for the cube colour, so players still get their info.) and the event marker goes back into the pot (it could come up again). When an event takes place, an event card is revealed and provides a mini-case/obstacle to work on. All players can take part, but only one can solve it (or is a crime taking place now! which needs to be dealt with). These provide additional rewards / status points, but divert the players. Not following up on the event means players receive penalties (defined by the event).

King Pins

At the moment there is the one King Pin. They are the same each game, but perhaps there could be different Heads of the Crime Syndicate. You draw one at random each game and the victory condition for each has a slight twist. Much like games such as Arkham Horror etc. have different bad guys which will subtly change the way you play the game, could Snitch not be the same?

Other Ideas

I have an idea for a gang / territory control game.

I know you have mentioned Ole's Doomsday idea, which is similar to my thinking of something, which sees each player as a dispatcher, taking emergency calls and responding to them.

However, while maintaining a similar feel/theme, it would be FAR MORE EXCITING taking control of something akin to a counter terrorist unit. Moving, plotting and strategizing against the board. This would not be going after the bad guys as such, but in a similar way to Snitch, you are seeking intel, controlling your spooks and stopping a global threat(s). Actually, that now just sounds like Snitch! (in my head it is different). It would be proper maps, with things moving around the board and you attempting to uncover them / stop them from happening. Just ideas, so no real meat on these bones.

Finally and this has been kicking around in my head and on various bits of paper. "Organised Crime" - this is player vs player. Territory control and asset management. Players fight for control of the board, establish their 'businesses', recruit gang members and attempt to take control of the city any way they like. Diplomacy, violence, corruption or all out war!
The board is the good guys, though this is only a fragment of the game, something to manage or provide minor obstacles. The focus is the other players. The board represents police, officials, the mayor, judges, etc.
The aim is to make money to fund your illicit business dealings, expand your empire and take down your opposition, The winner... not entirely sure on that one... I am not of a mind that it would be last man standing, but rather perhaps the first to control x% of territories (either through alliances or on their own).

Just ideas.

There are more

www.thegameshunter.co.uk"

-=--=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-

Thanks Chris!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in marketing a fair bit, so I understand the importance of branding, but as a gamer, I dislike the idea of "cannibalizing" (for lack of a better word) other games for the sake of a unified brand.

As a publisher, if you're playing the long game and want to build a company with credibility in the gamer community, to my mind it seems more important to have a catalog of varied games that are all well thought of than to simply have one product line.

At any rate, I'll keep myself up to date with the game's progress and I wish you the best with publication!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Dustin!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup

It's really great to see you posting around here now.

Glad you will be stickin' around.

Since you backed SNITCH, you will catch updates, which is awesome!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is just my post from the other PP thread for reference:
JazzyBear wrote:
I think this can go all the way to anti-terrorism and short and long term undercover. Mobsters/Mafioso and Generic Terrorists(not nationality based) can provide some long-term, over arching story plots. We can have the drugs traced all the way back to some foreign(fake name) country and follow that story as well.

I like the Medical/Fire/Rescue ideas as well. Managing a team in co-op play to overcome a large event sounds very fun. Lately I have been interested in 10-20 minute timed scenario games. A sound track is running (on a CD or cell phone) and periodically it triggers an event and updates the severity of the situation. Makes for very intense games. Over time characters can "level up" or gain better gear for the next scenario(s).

There are a lot of ways to go with this. I also think having a common city, county, state/area for events helps make the games familiar. Players of one like the nod to the other games. For example having and International Airport in town lets us have an emergency landing, a high-jacking, or a clandestine meeting of the heads of state from enemy nations trying to put together a peace deal. The last version gives us a mission to guard the meeting from those wanting it to fail.

Forest Fire, kidnappings, sink-hole, levy-break/flooding, toxic trailer/train car spill. So many different things and ways to play. A lot of the mission based ideas are from a mostly diceless RPG I have been working that has been play tested but never released.

I like the idea we can have card games, dice games, co-op, competitive, board games and more styles all under one umbrella.

Jazzy B-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something just popped into my head: "PP: Dispatch". It is not a game, it is THE common tie-in that would allow any emergency call to be routed to the proper "group" for response.

It is really a common way to do the setup and advertising on the box.

For example: A call comes in about a massive pile up on the freeway, you have to lead your team to help the victims and get the road open again.

Another Example: Anonymous calls are starting to come in about something big, time to get out there and work your Confidential Informants!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love to see the...

Jazzy-Wheels-Turning!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was PP : Dispatch that got taken over by a smiley!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rainer Ahlfors
United States
Provo
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Click to see this devourer's page.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I don't want "Police Precinct" in the name of the game.

You could maybe include it in the tagline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jazzy Bear
United States
Quad-Cities
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GalaGalaxia wrote:
Personally, I don't want "Police Precinct" in the name of the game.

You could maybe include it in the tagline.

I agree. I think you SHOULD consider using "Commonville" in ALL the tag lines from now on.

Help find Commonville's newest scurge...

Plane crash at the Commonville Airport, can you save everyone?

Then on the back of the box you can have a blurb about Commonville and how all the games tie in! And even begin to stratify the Law Enforcement versions from the 1st Responder games from the Terrorist/Other styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys!!!

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.