Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
michael peterson
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in the process of reading the rules and learning the game and I am wondering how valuable the recruitment discount really is? Is it every worth it? On the flip side, would you ever want to thin your hand by using this? I am finding a hard time in seeing the value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's nice for thinning your hand if you have duplicate cards that do the same thing (but better).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Certainly...you can make a much more efficient deck by winnowing out some of your starter cards while picking up better cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
And when, exactly, are we playing Churchill again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! It can be worth it.

For one thing, you may acquire cards that allow you to pick up resources more efficiently than you would with the basic resource gatherers you start with. So, in such a situation, it may not be all that necessary to keep the basic dudes.

Secondly, having a heavy hand of cards will make a penalty-free campsite harder to achieve; and that will really hurt towards the end of the game as you get closer and closer to Fort Clatsop, and find that your excess cards really drag you back.

Thirdly, the discount simply allows you to buy that card a lot faster...which is quite nice if someone else is eyeing that character!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Pseudonym
msg tools
Forthly, you might realise that you will only need one resource type for the rest of the game, and can get easily rid of a resource gathering card you don't need anymore / you have a great card to move through river spaces and a great card to move through the mountains, so you can say bye bye to your commander card.

Also, you might want to keep the number of cards you have even.

I do use the recruitment discount practically every game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Linneman
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the recruitment discount is awesome. Thin your deck while saving resources and improving your deck all in one move. Just be careful not to ditch your interpreter too early (you can't replace him!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.