Madeira» Forums » General

Subject: #2 on "The Hotness" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
any particular reason for this? I've had my eye on this game for a while, but it seems like it's been rather lowkey on BGG. Now it's sandwiched between Marvel Dice and Netrunner.

There's some review vids, Drive-Thru Reviews and Rahdo, but I think (?) they've been up awhile now.

anyone have a guess?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salim Khoury
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
Give Grace, Always.
badge
Whatever the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve.
mbmbmbmbmb
euronoob wrote:
any particular reason for this? I've had my eye on this game for a while, but it seems like it's been rather lowkey on BGG. Now it's sandwiched between Marvel Dice and Netrunner.

There's some review vids, Drive-Thru Reviews and Rahdo, but I think (?) they've been up awhile now.

anyone have a guess?

Other than because it's awesome?!?!?!?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a contest going on for a micro expansion to Madeira.

EDIT: but also what he said above me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael King
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a contest for the game right now. That's why its risen on the hotness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Soledade
Portugal
Leiria
Leiria
flag msg tools
designer
WYG Developer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apart from the obvious (it's a great game! ), this could be the reason: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1166861/whats-your-game-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply because it's AWESOME!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veehyvez
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could be because Tom Vasel mentioned the game on the dice tower podcast, but it is definitely awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Clarke
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am guessing that it is because of the contest. It is a very good game and not nearly as heavy as i was lead to believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
I think it might also have something to do with it's slowly building up a reputation for being a good game through word of mouth as more and more players try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United States
Beverly Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd also expect that the contest is what is currently fueling its hotness, though it is a game that deserves much more attention than what it is generally getting.

The mechanics and rules are all relatively straight forward and it's easy to grasp how the game works, so I think there are a lot of players who are a bit off-put by its perceived heaviness that should not be. Granted, if one thinks that games like Terra Mystica and Agricola require more analysis than what one's gaming group would enjoy, then maybe Madeira isn't the way to go, but I think it is a fairly natural progression for groups that already enjoy the aforementioned games.

The real beauty of the game shines in the later rounds, when players are trying to balance all of their actions to fulfill three Crown Requests in the final round. Undoubtedly, you'll start taking a series of actions only to later discover that your overall goals might have been better served by doing something different, but that's part of the fun for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
euronoob

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks, all! surely it's the contest. I'd scanned around a bit looking for an image or review or something fueling this, but completely didn't see the BGG contest. had I seen it, I wouldn't've asked blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Aikens
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW, six weeks later Madeira is no longer listed in the Hotness. Contest bump eventually becomes contest slump, I guess.

(Game's still awesome, though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls