5 Posts

Sentinels of the Multiverse» Forums » Reviews

Subject: 9 out of 10. One of the best. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian K
msg tools
mb
My friend and I love Arkham Horror. I love it enough that I gave it 9 out of 10 when I reviewed it for BGG. We love Arkham Horror so much that we invented various campaigns to play and ways to make the game more challenging for ourselves. We completed a campaign and then started a new one. And then another one. In fact, my friend and I are so obsessed with Arkham Horror that we were on our fifth campaign. Were. We’ve stopped it now. We haven’t played Arkham Horror in months, not since last year in fact. The reason for this hiatus? Sentinels of the Multiverse; our new obsession.

Synopsis
Sentinels of the Multiverse is a co-operative card game with all players playing on the same team against the game. Each player takes a fixed deck of cards corresponding to a specific superhero, a villain is chosen to go up against and battle starts. Either the players collectively beat the villain or the villain wins and all players lose together.

Gameplay
The rules are very, very simple.
One card is drawn and resolved from the Villain deck. It is then the turn of the players: on your turn you play one card; you then activate the text of a card you have in play which is preceded by the word “power”; you then draw a card. That’s your turn done. Once all players have had their turn, one card is drawn and resolved from the Enviroment deck to simulate the location of the battle. Return to the Villain’s turn.
That’s it. Apart from the minutiae, you know now how to play Sentinels of the Multiverse. The rules really are very, very simple. The life of the game, however, is in the wording of the cards.
It is here the game really does shine as the developers have let loose. Once the basic framework of the game has been established, each Hero has been developed on top of that framework to take advantage of it in a particular way. For example, one Hero plays out lots and lots of Equipment cards to give them lots of options of which “power” text to activate each turn; a different Hero draws lots and lots of cards and then gets a bonus for discarding a whole load of cards at once; a different Hero manipulates the Villain’s deck and discards; a different Hero sits back and gives bonuses to the others; a different Hero hurts himself to generate obscene damage; and so on and so forth. None of the Heroes in the base game play the same way and you will find something to suit a large variety of tastes.
The base set doesn’t quite contain the same variety of Villains to go up against, there are only four included, but they do again all play differently from each other. One likes to get out lots of weak minions, one likes to get out a few strong minions, one likes to stop you from hurting him, and one likes to do all of the above. With different tactics needed against each Villain, this should increase the variety and replayability of the game immensely – but it doesn’t. This leads me to my biggest criticism of the game in that it’s all about the damage.
Ultimately, it is a battle game – every Villain is defeated by reducing them to 0 health and while two of them do have alternate victory conditions, most of the time you will lose by having all Heroes reduced to 0 health. For some this won’t be a problem but it is fair to say that fight after fight after fight will leave some feeling a little bored. If you’d like a bit more to your game than just a a big punch-up, this isn’t the game for you.

Presentation
The setting of the game is Superhero comics and the artwork captures that perfectly. It’s top rate and the cards are all easy to read and understand. No complaints at all with regards to presentation.

Summary
If you’re a fan of comics or of the recent glut of superhero movies and TV shows, then this game is as close to a “must have” as I can recommend. If you’re not a fan but are still happy for a game to just be a recreation of a big fight and nothing more, I also strongly recommend it. If you’re interested in subtlety and intrigue, look elsewhere.

9 out of 10. One of the best.

Note 1: I have learned from bitter experience with this site that I need to stress that all reviews – including this one – are entirely matters of opinion. I am not claiming that anything I have said in this review is fact, it is all entirely my opinion and I am sure that many others have different opinions. If you wish to reply with yours, I welcome it. I enjoy discussion but will not respond kindly to aggressive replies.
Note 2: I am fully aware the expansion sets can change things a great deal -
and there are several enemies in the expansions which address my main criticism above. However this review looks only at the base game as it plays using the initial release. To do otherwise in this review is unfair to the readers and the game itself.

EDIT:: June 2019. I'm adding a new feature to all my reviews; a rough statistical breakdown of my ratings as sometimes I give a game what I think is a good score and some people still think I'm dissing it.
So I thought I might as well go back through all my past reviews and add this info to each of them, too.
My average rating across all the games I've rated on BGG is 5.9. A score of 9 out of 10 puts this game in the top 1% of all the games I've rated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think SotM is a great game. I initially rated it very high myself, but after repeated plays I had to down grade just a bit due to the fact that the game doesn't provide enough bits to track things to the degree that the game requires. I also believe that the wording in some instances needs to be redone as it seems that there are some things that seemingly do the same things, but are worded differently.

I find it is all to easy to miss something only to discover it a little later on. If you are okay with missing a thing here or there every now and then, then I think this game could be perfect for you; however, if you feel the compulsion to play perfectly according to the rules, then this game can get quite taxing.

I do feel that it is probably the best superhero themed game out on the market today.

Great review btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bbblasterfire wrote:
I find it is all to easy to miss something only to discover it a little later on. If you are okay with missing a thing here or there every now and then, then I think this game could be perfect for you; however, if you feel the compulsion to play perfectly according the rules, then this game can get quite taxing.

Oh man, if this isn't the truth. When I first started playing I started so many rules debates on the >G forum trying to pin point exactly how things work in the many crazy situations that are bound to come up during games. A few years later and I still have questions every so often. The most literal reading of the card text will never steer you wrong in most cases, and in almost any case where there is ambiguity, its left up to player choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myke Fly
Germany
flag msg tools
PACG Playmat System with over 500 playmats
badge
Check out my free Premium PACG Playmats
mbmbmbmbmb
I just heard of Marvell's "Legendary" game also to be a co-op game but with deckbuilding theme compared to SotM.

What is the big difference except you have more popular heroes?

Can anybody write a comparison review on both of them?

Would be a cool idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andri Erlingsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Michael: Here you go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.