Magic Realm» Forums » Rules

Subject: Errata in the Set Up Card Schematic? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mrjr_rsp [+] [View All]
Pepe
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I guess this isn't news but I've noticed that in the Set Up card schematic (page 13 of the 3.1 rules) the Lost City and Lost Castle sections are swapped.

I suppose the schematic was copied as the rest of the figures from the second edition rules, so the origin of the errata is obvious. But does somebody know why it wasn't corrected in the 3.1 version?

I've tried to find some reference to this in the forums but haven't found any. And I'd be very surprised if this isn't a known issue, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Bass
United States
San Carlos
California
flag msg tools
badge
What's this? Why, it's the Hiller Flying Platform! It flew in 1955.
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3.1 rules definitely show the two locations as swapped. In practice, of course, this makes no difference; which is probably why the subject hasn't really come up. But for the sake of consistency, it should be corrected.

The Lost City and Lost Castle groupings on the setup card outline monsters who guard no treasure sites. I assume this to be another of those design features of the game which had some necessary mechanism or narrative purpose which was ultimately dropped before the game was finally published but never removed from the graphic design of elements like the set up card. Maybe there was an Optional Rule somewhere that incorporated the differences?

In the rules that were published with the game, as well as the 3.1 rules, the Lost City and Lost Castle simply consist of randomly assigned chits from the pool of Warning and Treasure chits and there is absolutely no correlation between the monsters and sites on these chits and the groupings on the setup card. Many people simple keep the two piles of five chits, each assigned to the Lost City and Lost Castle, off to one side until they're needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Pepe Portela wrote:
I suppose the schematic was copied as the rest of the figures from the second edition rules, so the origin of the errata is obvious.

Yes, it was incorrect in the 2nd edition and just copied into the 3.1 edition.

Pepe Portela wrote:
But does somebody know why it wasn't corrected in the 3.1 version?

None of us noticed it. blush

I was the final proofreader for the 3.1 rules, and I certainly missed it!

Pepe Portela wrote:
I've tried to find some reference to this in the forums but haven't found any. And I'd be very surprised if this isn't a known issue, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

I can't recall anyone noticing or mentioning this before. I'd have to check the archives of the Magic Realm Mailing List (where all of the development work for the 3.1 edition was done) to be sure, but you may be the first person to spot this error.

This error, however, is only significant if you are playing Hamblen's "Deadly Realm" variant that was published in the AH General magazine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
richfam wrote:
you may be the first person to spot this error.

That's definitively something I wasn't expecting at all! surprise

I guess, as Jeffery and you said, that this hasn't been found before because it does not affect the game in any way. And as the Setup Card has all the necessary labels the schematic isn't something you need to check while preparing to play.

I noticed it because even though I own a second edition copy since the early nineties, until now I haven't really started to learn the game. The other day I was trying to get a good understanding of the ways monsters can be summoned, including how the "Lost Castle" and "Lost City" sections relate to it. But I didn't have my copy at hand so I was using the rules pdf and Realmspeak's setup card, that doesn't have labels in those sections. It took me a good lot of head scratching minutes to realize the rules were wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.