Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey BGGers!

So it's sadly come to that point where real life has intruded on our gaming time, and these days we've found ourselves reaching for lighter fare that can play in under an hour more often than not, only to realize that my collection is a bit slimmer on the lighter end of things.

I picked up Carcassonne: South Seas which has definitely hit the spot, though a bit too reliant on luck, and I've been eyeing TTR: Europe and Lords of Waterdeep. We've enjoyed TTR on iPad and like Chicago Express immensely. From what I can gather, TTR: Europe and then down the line picking up the India map would be the best bet for 2 players - is that correct?

Waterdeep on the other hand might go over better with the people I play with, but I just feel like I have too many worker placement games as it is. The benefit would be that I might be able to get it to the table more often. For those that have it and other worker placement games, what's its place in your collection?

If there are any other suggestions for light-medium weight games that play in under an hour and work great for 2 players while scaling up, always welcome.

Thanks a million!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Selwyn Hope
Australia
Cannington
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Echoing what many others have said about Lords of Waterdeep, the expansion (Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport) really adds to the game and theme.

If you are a fan of worker placement and feel that you can get LoW to the table more often due to a shorter gameplay, is there any reason NOT to get it?

Ticket to Ride is certainly a good game, but the iPad does a really great job of tracking score and card shuffle rules, and the physical game would take longer to set up and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ike
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
If you are a fan of worker placement and feel that you can get LoW to the table more often due to a shorter gameplay, is there any reason NOT to get it?

Over-saturation of worker placement games in my collection is the main concern and whether Waterdeep offers anything besides a shorter playing time, really. I have read that Skullport improves the game immensely, but then it becomes a question of justifying the cost of the base game plus expansion. Thanks for the thoughts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Stephenson
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my gf and I play Bruges quite a bit 2 player (actually we mostly play it two player) and we typically finish a game in no more than 45min depending on the strategy we are employing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokaido
Takenoko
Ninjato
Terror in Meeple City
7 Wonders
Race for the Galaxy
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cesspit wrote:

Ticket to Ride is certainly a good game, but the iPad does a really great job of tracking score and card shuffle rules, and the physical game would take longer to set up and play.

Which is true of any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamien Omen
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Battle Line

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ikehouserock wrote:
From what I can gather, TTR: Europe and then down the line picking up the India map would be the best bet for 2 players - is that correct?

I would say so- India comes with Switzerland, which is a very different map, so you get a lot of variety with a main game and that one map pack. If you do get TTR:E, you may also want to get Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912, there is a set of destination tickets (Big Cities) in that pack, which can bring the game closer for two players (more potentially overlapping tickets). It's still not "in your face" the way Switzerland gets.

I've seen people recommend Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries for two players. As a base game I felt it too limiting in terms of flexibility.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Devine
Australia
Lara
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Splendor - it's horribly addictive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tara Tallan
Canada
Scarborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Bruges
+1 Race for the Galaxy

Seeland also clocks in at about an hour, and I like that game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander K
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Splendor. My wife and I are enjoying it a lot.

I think Biblios might be a good choice, and perhaps Parade and Fairy Tale.

With Fairy Tale it may depend on whether you like drafting mechanics with only 2 people. I like it, but YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Lj
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Waterdeep is a favorite in our pretty casual gaming group, but for us, it regular clocks in at over an hour. Not sure that matters, but wanted to lay it out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lane Taylor
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Waterdeep (especially with the expansion) over TTR every day. However, if you want a medium euro that plays in about the same amount of time, take a look at El Capitan. IMO, it plays best with 4 on the basic board, gets really tight with 5, and it comes with 3 expansion cities that can be added as you desire. I only add two cities (I don't like the way the pirate city works with the game) when there are 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
monchi
Canada
Burnaby
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTR Europe was one of the first games we ever bought and it still gets played. Many of our first games have fallen by the way side as they have been replaced by newer, shinier games but TTR Europe as stood the test of time in our house. As someone else mentioned the Europa expansion is a must, Big Cities is the only way we play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B.
Canada
flag msg tools
Look down.
badge
Ooooo! Ahhhhh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try checking out Spyrium.

It has moderate to deeper complexity as you play more. The board set up varies so you'll not play the same game all the time and won't get bored of it anytime soon. The game scales well 2-5. Plays about an hour (give or take a little, but probably for sure within an hour with fewer players anyhow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.