Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
First play last night, and the table nearly got flipped. I can't remember the exact wording, but there's a card that says "If your word scores 8c or more, +2c" or something. My partner played the card and we differed over what it meant.

1) The SCORE is what's adjusted, the number under the letter at the top. The score is always the score, it's so fricking obvious!!!!

2) You score the number at the bottom of the card, as that's where the "c" symbol is. It's so fricking obvious!!!!

I do think that it is potentially ambiguous, and the inconsistent use of a needless currency symbol was a poorly executed design choice (Why does a score, called a score, not a "value" or something, magically become a currency?) but it's still obvious which option is correct, right? It's the one I think... know... is right... and that's option [__]!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
twitch.tv/zenxacred
badge
follow me on twitter: @zenxacred
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRocketSurgeon wrote:
First play last night, and the table nearly got flipped. I can't remember the exact wording, but there's a card that says "If your word scores 8c or more, +2c" or something. My partner played the card and we differed over what it meant.

1) The SCORE is what's adjusted, the number under the letter at the top. The score is always the score, it's so fricking obvious!!!!

2) You score the number at the bottom of the card, as that's where the "c" symbol is. It's so fricking obvious!!!!

I do think that it is potentially ambiguous, and the inconsistent use of a needless currency symbol was a poorly executed design choice (Why does a score, called a score, not a "value" or something, magically become a currency?) but it's still obvious which option is correct, right? It's the one I think... know... is right... and that's option [__]!

The number on the bottom left of any card is always the cost. Option 1 is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tina T
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
zenxacred wrote:

The number on the bottom left of any card is always the cost. Option 1 is right.

Really? But but ...

TheRocketSurgeon wrote:

[...] If your word scores 8c or more [...] currency symbol [...]
!

I would say Option 2 is right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty McFly
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook explicitly shows where the Score is on a card (upper left) and where the Cost is (lower left). Then the next page (I wish there were page numbers!) has the Score Word section which reads (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Score Word
Add up all the scores from the letters in your word. Make sure to count the Common Card, if you used it. Apply score bonuses from the card abilities in the word....

It is a little confusing that they include the cent symbol when gaining bonus score, but option 1 is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
well 2:1, yes option 1 is definitely right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.