David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

We are five players planning our next game of 18OE. Three of us have one play of a short scenario and for the two other will be their first game of 18OE (we all have played other 18XX many times).

At first we thought of playing a medium scenario but they are limited to a maximum of four players. Do you think it may work with 5 players, splitting £2700 (£540 per player)? Or do you recommend going for the big experience of the full game?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Frazier
United States
Amelia
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cartesius wrote:
Hi!

We are five players planning our next game of 18OE. Three of us have one play of a short scenario and for the two other will be their first game of 18OE (we all have played other 18XX many times).

At first we thought of playing a medium scenario but they are limited to a maximum of four players. Do you think it may work with 5 players, splitting £2700 (£540 per player)? Or do you recommend going for the big experience of the full game?

Thanks in advance!

The only reason I never playtested with more players for the short and medium scenarios was due to the Nationalization mechanics. If the only railroad a player has goes National, the player will be forced to negotiate any train purchases from Majors. It's harder to get the feel for how the Nationals and Majors can interact when you only have 1 railroad.

Other than that, you can likely split the cash 5 ways, adjust the cert limit, and give it a shot.

I do have some notes around here somewhere with suggestions on what do do for a 5 player scenario, but they're untested. I'll have a look at them some time this summer as time allows.

Alternatively, you could also pick a medium scenario that has at least 10 Regionals in the three track rights zones, and increase the number of Regionals to float to 10. This would require a slight bit of tweaking to the train allotments - let's see....

16 level 2s
11 level 3s
5 level 4s
5 level 5s
3 level 6s
8 level 7s
4 level 8s

Should do it. If you do this, you should up the starting cash per player from 540 to 570.

-Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lara
Spain
Alcobendas
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see.

Thank so much, Mark! I really appreciate your support!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.