United States
Wauwatosa
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Gimme back my hand!
badge
Beware the Jabberwock my son!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I think I prefer this on page xvi of the Servants' and Wives' Edition, I'm nevertheless curious as to what's in its place in the Gentlemen's Edition? Anyone able to share? I'm looking to be corrupted and depraved.

To protect the leſs robuſt ſenſibilities of thoſe of the frailer ſex and lower claſſes who may read his book, the Baron has ordered that the laſcivious illuſtration on this page be removed from the leſs expenſive editions leſt it corrupt and deprave the viewer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the following caption (font not reproduced to protect tyne sanity of the typist - if you want to fake it, substitute the integral symbol "∫" wherever you see an 's' and put the whole thing in italics):

THE BARON is offered his choice from a selection of the Sultan's wives, an incident so salacious and Rabelaisian that this illustration and the description of the events that followed this scene appear only in the Gentlemen's Edition of this book (page 108).

Note that this book ends on page 106 and I am not going to scan the artwork, sorry (tightly bound book and I am not interested in cracking the binding or violating any more copyright).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
With the Baron's compliments and best wishes, and his earnest hopes that you will patronise the third edition of his most excellent game, due to be published later this year of our Lord 2014.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
Ooo—I was about to pick up a copy on Amazon but I guess I’m waiting now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks a lot better than what I have! My copy is "missing" the women's arms and faces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, the image-cropping got screwed up on the printing of the Gentlemen's Edition, which is one of the reasons I feel it's kind of okay to spoil the joke now. The image I shared is the original Gustav Dore piece from the very expensive 1860s edition of the book I had to buy to scan all the art from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an attractive piece of art. The look on the Baron's face is priceless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I should also say that since Dore died in 1883 his art is thoroughly in the public domain, so there's no problem with reproducing it here or anywhere else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But the book with his artwork is not...

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Harrison
United States
Fisher
Illinois
flag msg tools
So long ...
badge
... and thanks for all the fish.
mb
But the art the OP asked about is.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Holden
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone is interested in a copy of the Gentlemen's edition, I have one up for auction here:
Twin Cities Moving Auction

Even though it's titled Twin Cities, it's open to everyone. Ends 23-Sep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Employee 2-4601
msg tools
JamesWallis wrote:
With the Baron's compliments and best wishes, and his earnest hopes that you will patronise the third edition of his most excellent game, due to be published later this year of our Lord 2014.
Is there any update on the third edition release date?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"patronise the third edition of his most excellent game, due to be published later this year of our Lord 2014."

Hiya,
Did that ever happen?
I can find hide nor hair.

And I note that the ISBN on the publisher's website, which refers to the 2013 edition, is in fact for the 2008 edition based on what comes up when I googlize the number that's on the page....

Either that or every single site I've hunted has messed up, to a one, and got it wrong in stanting that the ISBN for the 2013 edition is in fact 2008 ed........
Any pointers?

Just found out aboot this wee compendium and reallllly want to get the most recent, most improved, most rampant with bigosity version I can clasp my withering hands on....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hello! The Baron's humble scribe here. Quick update on stuff:

The third edition of the Baron's game has been delayed due to the late running of a couple of other major projects I'm involved in (Alas Vegas and Paranoia, for those keeping score), and also due to the recent involvement of--actually I'm contractually bound not to breathe a word but I can tell you that it's neither a regiment of Prussian hussars, nor the Empress of Russia. It is exciting news, but it means the book will now be a 2016 release. In a couple of days I'm heading over to Essen in the hopes that I will find my co-author of the third edition Alexandyr Munchausen there, because I have to explain to him why the fate of his ancestor's book is now in the hands of the French. But I may have said too much.

The 2013 printing of the second edition is basically identical to the 2008 Wives and Servants edition, barring a different publisher and a couple of fixed typos. One joke has been slightly tweaked and is now 2.9% funnier, but I can't remember which one.

The deal mentioned above does mean that the second edition will be coming off sale in the near future, so grab it while you can.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The 2013 printing of the second edition is basically identical to the 2008 Wives and Servants edition, barring a different publisher and a couple of fixed typos. One joke has been slightly tweaked and is now 2.9% funnier, but I can't remember which one."

Which, based on what I read on the ISBN site, means that the 2013 ed should have a new ISBN, no?

If Alexandyr turns out to be indisposed, illiterate, or missing one of both hands, or the digits to grasp a quill properly?

I offer my services having watched the moving picture exploits of the Baron, captured to celluloid by a former Minnesotan by the name of Terry Gilliam, at least 15 times.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wallis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Indeed. The Mongoose Publishing (2008) edition has the ISBN 978-1-906508-15-9. The Magnum Opus Press (2013 reprint) edition has the ISBN 978-1-906402-15-0.

Alexandyr dictates and drinks. I pour, riposte and type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ima Dork
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"The Mongoose Publishing (2008) edition has the ISBN 978-1-906508-15-9. The Magnum Opus Press (2013 reprint) edition has the ISBN 978-1-906402-15-0."
As I'd expect.
But as I was saying in an email (?), the ISBN I got from the Press website, when googled, lead me to many pages for the 2008 edition.
As in nearly if not all of them.
Which is why I'd said either every one of them made the same error or the ISBN on the publisher's page might be in error....
My copy will be here in the next 10 days.
Shweeetness!

Ahhh.
Well. If he ends up too smashed, or didn't get the full complement of fanciful story conjuration that the Baron passed down:
You can aim a carrier pigeon, with a summons stapled to it's leg, towards the far side of Canaduh.
Just sayin'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.