Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy,

I was very interested when hearing about this game. But I never heard or read anything about this being a collectible game. I was checking back in after, I think, missing out on two waves of the "starters" (they seem to be sold out again) when I noticed the blind boosters for sale.

Am I missing something here? Or did this game become collectible after the company saw how popular it was? If so, that's a bit disappointing from a business practice standpoint ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cryptozoic made an announcement about going the random booster route shortly after the bases were released. There were a few threads of ticked off people here on the geek, where people had bought the base games before the announcement. It's hard to tell if Crypto had planned random boosters all along, or decided to go that direction at the last minute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Well the booster cards are super cool and the base sets are great - you could play with just the play sets perfectly well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's 100% a CCG at this point.

Copy.

Unfortunately that mean's I am likely out
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Not Really "Random"
Not 100% random CCG now.
The booster packs were never part of the original plan. Only Collector's Pack decks were ever planned.
The booster set was released as it could be produced much faster. When thousands of hobby shops demand product on their shelves immediately, you listen. The cards were all leftovers from the early deck building.

Secondly, while each individual booster pack is random, a sealed box so far has given every buyer a FULL set of cards. That is not random. There are 24 packs, and there are 24 Rates... one Rare per pack. Random CCGs don't do that.

We have already said that For the Glory! booster set might be the only booster set we ever do for the game. We plan to keep it in print far longer than any random CCG would ever keep a booster set in print.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Gortner
United States
Egg Harbor Township
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for chiming in!

Does a booster box give me all quantities I need of each card as well? Or are multiple booster boxes needed to accomplish this (and if so how many).

Just trying to figure out the price for a completionist.

And, any clue when the starters will come back in stock?

Matt Hyra wrote:
Not 100% random CCG now.
The booster packs were never part of the original plan. Only Collector's Pack decks were ever planned.
The booster set was released as it could be produced much faster. When thousands of hobby shops demand product on their shelves immediately, you listen. The cards were all leftovers from the early deck building.

Secondly, while each individual booster pack is random, a sealed box so far has given every buyer a FULL set of cards. That is not random. There are 24 packs, and there are 24 Rates... one Rare per pack. Random CCGs don't do that.

We have already said that For the Glory! booster set might be the only booster set we ever do for the game. We plan to keep it in print far longer than any random CCG would ever keep a booster set in print.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
So far, everyone has received the whole set:
1 of each of 24 Rares
1-2 of each 33 UnCommons
2-3 of each 50 Commons

The reprint of the starters will be in stores in one month, though a few thousand were just airshipped in, so there might be a couple around.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
Matt Hyra wrote:
1 of each of 24 Rares
1-2 of each 33 UnCommons
2-3 of each 50 Commons

The reprint of the starters will be in stores in one month, though a few thousand were just airshipped in, so there might be a couple around.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Can you pull some strings and make sure my FL-ishGS gets some in sooner rather than later?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for that Info Matt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Strickland
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Matt Hyra wrote:
1 of each of 24 Rares
1-2 of each 33 UnCommons
2-3 of each 50 Commons

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

As one of those vocally concerned people, I have to give credit where it is due. You guys did a great job with the distribution of the rares and the design of the cards and I am very happy with my purchase. In fact I'm trying to justify a second box right now.

My only wish now is that Crypto would revisit adding the show cast in some capacity to the card pool. I agree they should not be cards shuffled into the deck, but similar to the way the cast is handled in the app, if Finn and Co. could show up like Heroes in Hearthstone or like old MTG Vanguard cards, it would make everyone happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
We'll look into it.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Wood
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
What Josh said - that could be the final icing on a delicious cake. That said the cards are so tin tune with the AT cosmos - truly inspired work there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hm.

I'm not sure how the app handles this - but I'm not sold on the idea of adding the cast of the show into the actual card game itself. I love the game and so long as the cards are fun, it won't matter in the end for me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Strickland
United States
Decatur
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
UncleBob wrote:
Hm.

I'm not sure how the app handles this - but I'm not sold on the idea of adding the cast of the show into the actual card game itself. I love the game and so long as the cards are fun, it won't matter in the end for me though.

I have two reasons to suggest it:

1) from a broader market view, it is much easier to sell packs and product from an IP when the characters from the IP show up somewhere other than the packaging. Pretty much all Card Wars fans are AT fans but the reverse might not necessarily be true. Why not appeal to the larger customer base?

2) I want a foil Ice King, Marceline and PB. Now that's completely self-serving but I think everyone who buys this game would agree that having foils of PB, Finn, Fionna, etc would be algebraic.

I totally agree with you and Matt that having the show cast IN the deck would break the immersion - the decks in Card Wars know nothing about AT. But what I'm suggesting is having the show cast appear as cards set outside the play zone but still affect the game. Rough ideas like: PB lets you pay 2 actions to search the top 10 cards of your deck and take one of them in hand (reshuffle the rest), while Jake might have an ability that says Pay 2 actions and choose 2 creatures you control - those creatures heal 1 damage and get +1 attack this turn.

Or something like that - I've only played about 30 games of this so I'm not sure exactly what the balance parameters are, but I've played a good 10K+ Magic, SW:CCG, Netrunner, etc, games over the last 20 years so I have a sense of how it might work. Card Wars is a good game but I want more attachment to the cards I'm using. I also think that adding a new layer of complexity never really hurts a game if it can be implemented well and this is one that would appeal to both the casual fan and the tournament crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelson Wong
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must have been one of the rare few who did not receive a whole set with a booster set. I never got a Blue Ogre card in the set. My son and I have gone through all of the cards multiple times to make sure we didn't miss it.

Matt Hyra wrote:
1 of each of 24 Rares
1-2 of each 33 UnCommons
2-3 of each 50 Commons

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Cryptozoic R&D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.